Java - How long did it take you to learn?

tomoki
2 hours ago, tomoki said:

I have no idea what this thread is about anymore LOL I am so lost. 

This sort of happens whenever Java is brought up. Java has a history of being sort of silly. If you asked 1,000 object oriented programmers (OOP) which is better, C# or Java, I'd feel safe saying 995 of them would say C#, with the last 5 being die-hard anti-Windows zealots. As Nuluvius alludes to, C# is now multiplatform (with the Mono framework on Linux and OSX). However, Java has some stupidly large hold on the enteprise ('business grade') software world (something like 80%), so it's not going away anytime soon.

I've been teaching myself Java for well over a year now, and still have a ton to learn. (Learning through experimentation basically)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

7 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I've been teaching myself Java for well over a year now, and still have a ton to learn. (Learning through experimentation basically)

Really depends on what you want to use it for.  If you are at school then one year's worth of Java classes translates to not a lot in a commercial environment.  

I think the best way to learn is to decide on a project and create it.  Then as you learn more and more you will end up refactoring it lots.  It could be something simple or something more complicated.  I for example wrote a image processor that could apply a few filters to images.  I've had that project for like 10 years and I've written it in a number of languages. 

If you really want to learn then try contributing to a open source project and get a job as a Java Developer. 

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

3 hours ago, hogfather said:

Really depends on what you want to use it for.  If you are at school then one year's worth of Java classes translates to not a lot in a commercial environment.  

I think the best way to learn is to decide on a project and create it.  Then as you learn more and more you will end up refactoring it lots.  It could be something simple or something more complicated.  I for example wrote a image processor that could apply a few filters to images.  I've had that project for like 10 years and I've written it in a number of languages. 

If you really want to learn then try contributing to a open source project and get a job as a Java Developer. 

For the most part I've just been working on creating plugins for my Minecraft server, still have a ton to learn.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 hours ago, TheKDub said:

For the most part I've just been working on creating plugins for my Minecraft server, still have a ton to learn.

I've no idea about Minecraft (runs on java?!)  But i would recommend to spend some time understanding the ins and outs of the language (eg Polymorphisim)  and the eco system (ie JVM, Garbage Collection, etc).  You don't need to dive too deep into these topics, but having a broad understanding really help.  

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

if(user.comment.text = "Plebosaur")

{

User u1 = new User;

User u2 = new User;

u1 = 1000;

u2 = 337;

print((int)u1 ++ u2);

}

Felt the need to babble like an idiot...

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

On 6/14/2016 at 9:53 PM, tomoki said:

Hey Everyone,

How long did it take you to pick up Java? By that I mean write multiple classes, be calling on methods from different classes you've written and writing foreach loops, while loops and iterator loops.

What did you do when you got stuck to the point you didn't know what to do? Are there some tactics you've used to get yourself out? Certainly for some of you it must've been straight forward to solve the logic but what about the rest of you? 

What did you use or how did you learn Java? (i.e. codeacademy, textbooks, instructor)

it takes time

asked someone or did research and if that didn't happen we just moved on with a giant gaping hole in the education system (happens too fucking often) Yes, I have some basic tactics than can help out, but to be safe, I'm going to keep them for myself and or close friends because they're so valuable (personal ones), but other people on the forum could teach you a thing or to and there's the basic one like, just keep trying more and more ideas until you're out, think some more and if an idea comes shoot it at it, try asking questions around the problem, ask different questions, generally the main question changes to a point where you're not even asking the same question that's relevant to the playing field anymore - not always but it does happen, other times the question just evolves, visualizing helps, and obviously one of the most important as well - proper order in which things come

learned java from a textbook