Asus Strix GTX 1080 or EVGA Classified GTX 1080

sgtrecker78

So I'm planning on replacing my current Titan X setup with 2 GTX 1080's in SLI. BUT I need help on figuring out what model I should get, no way I'm buying the FE, that thing hits power limits all over the place, and I really only trust Asus and EVGA for custom cooled cards idk why though. The Asus strix gtx 1080 uses a new cooler that is supposedly 3 times quieter and 30% cooler and has 8+6 pin power connectors (its also clocked at above 1900mhz). The EVGA cards on the other hand have the new ACX 3.0 cooler with that horrendous front GTX 1080 logo design (what were they thinking????) they also have 2 8 pin power connectors, lastly, the classified is going to be clocked at the 1900mhz range)

I plan on ordering the EK waterblocks + back plates for both of these once it's released, to accompany my 6950X, I just need help on reaching a decision, because the 8+6 pin power connector on the Asus is concerning me, as I fear the EVGA card will be able to reach higher clock speeds without hitting power limits with 2 8 pin connectors.

Thanks for the help!

STRIX FTW but seriosly though i would definitly reccomend strix, and why are you just watercooling one of them?

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

16 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

STRIX FTW but seriosly though i would definitly reccomend strix, and why are you just watercooling one of them?

I meant to say both, my bad.

Lol that makes a lot more sense

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

1 minute ago, 21rkosta said:

Lol that makes a lot more sense

:) sorry for the confusion, but you recommend Asus all the way right?

yah

1 minute ago, 21rkosta said:

yah

But should I worry about only an 8 pin and a 6pin compared to the EVGA's 2 8 pins

Might i ask what your profession is, because you seem to earn a shitload of money? I am just curious

i wouldent think so

2 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

i wouldent think so

thanks for the help m8, 

4 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Might i ask what your profession is, because you seem to earn a shitload of money? I am just curious

I'm currently an Engineering Manager at Google

5 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

I'm currently an Engineering Manager at Google

Are you at the Mountain View campus? My brother works there.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Are you at the Mountain View campus? My brother works there.

AYYYYYYYYY YES I AM tell me his name I'll say hi to him, what position is he in?

EVGA for sure unless you have enough money where you arent bothered when you are denied an RMA if you need it also recommend looking at MSI

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, sgtrecker78 said:

AYYYYYYYYY YES I AM tell me his name I'll say hi to him, what position is he in?

His name's Matt, I don't know what he does actually :/, I think it's something with networking but more of 'fixing the stuff the other IT guys break' is what he tells me xD

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

EVGA for sure unless you have enough money where you arent bothered when you are denied an RMA if you need it also recommend looking at MSI

I have had good experiences with Asus customer support, I checked out the MSI cards, I just prefer the Asus ones or EVGA ones due to my trust of the companies (even though I buy MSI laptops) I am mainly worried about if I will hit power limits with the Asus one because it has 8+6 pin connectors compared to the EVGA's 2 8 pins.

1 minute ago, sgtrecker78 said:

I have had good experiences with Asus customer support, I checked out the MSI cards, I just prefer the Asus ones or EVGA ones due to my trust of the companies (even though I buy MSI laptops) I am mainly worried about if I will hit power limits with the Asus one because it has 8+6 pin connectors compared to the EVGA's 2 8 pins.

Thanks Alex! I'll be sure to look out for your brother in the future, in fact I will make it my mission to meet him by Monday :)  

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

His name's Matt, I don't know what he does actually :/, I think it's something with networking but more of 'fixing the stuff the other IT guys break' is what he tells me xD

Plus I'll see If I can reach out to upgrade that PC of yours.

Classified.  Strix didnt win the race this round

3 hours ago, sgtrecker78 said:

So I'm planning on replacing my current Titan X setup with 2 GTX 1080's in SLI. BUT I need help on figuring out what model I should get, no way I'm buying the FE, that thing hits power limits all over the place, and I really only trust Asus and EVGA for custom cooled cards idk why though. The Asus strix gtx 1080 uses a new cooler that is supposedly 3 times quieter and 30% cooler and has 8+6 pin power connectors (its also clocked at above 1900mhz). The EVGA cards on the other hand have the new ACX 3.0 cooler with that horrendous front GTX 1080 logo design (what were they thinking????) they also have 2 8 pin power connectors, lastly, the classified is going to be clocked at the 1900mhz range)

I plan on ordering the EK waterblocks + back plates for both of these once it's released, to accompany my 6950X, I just need help on reaching a decision, because the 8+6 pin power connector on the Asus is concerning me, as I fear the EVGA card will be able to reach higher clock speeds without hitting power limits with 2 8 pin connectors.

Thanks for the help!

For watercooling? Evga. They will let you put the blocks back on and RMA a card if needed. Asus and Msi would blow a gasket as soon as you say "Well I put this block on it."

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU