Burnt by Samsung S6 charger

jcw150

Basically I was charging my phone overnight and when I picked it up to check the time the micro usb part was so hot it burnt me. There is also visible damage to the connector part of the cable where the white plastic has turned yellow and started to collapse.

Has anyone heard of this before and what would do you guys think of it?

Sounds pretty ummm err bad, Is the charger genuine/out the phone box? If so I would email Samsung and they may be super nice to you and send you some free stuff.

1 minute ago, jonsmith9847 said:

Sounds pretty ummm err bad, Is the charger genuine/out the phone box? If so I would email Samsung and they may be super nice to you and send you some free stuff.

Yhh the one that came with it

2 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

Yhh the one that came with it

Yeah, I would email them. Do you know how many Amps the charger is? Is it one of the 2.0A fast charging ones?

15 minutes ago, jonsmith9847 said:

Yeah, I would email them. Do you know how many Amps the charger is? Is it one of the 2.0A fast charging ones?

I think its 2.1A and one of their adaptive fast charging ones.

1 minute ago, jcw150 said:

I think its 2.1A and one of their adaptive fast charging ones.

2.1A is a lot of current for a small phone. We have this simple equation we use In electronics that goes a bit like this, Big currents = lots of heat. When you plug your phone into charge over night I would use a much smaller current charger like a 1.0A, you don't need it to charge it really quickly beacuse you literally have all night and by charging at a slower rate you can save and extend your battery life.

Furthermore a lower current will help reduce the heating problem, Furthermore I would close all your apps (especially snapchat or any camera app's) before you put it on to charge, sometimes they can keep loading the battery even after the phone has been turned off and put on charge. And when the battery is being both drained and filled at the same time excessive heating can occur.

Hope this helps you!

My mom has an S6 Edge. There haven't been any issues with the phone or her being burnt up, but I do notice that the MicroUSB connector of the cable gets very hot during charging.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan