VOIP for home phones

pixeldensity

So currently for my home phone I have vonage however, I want to switch to a VOIP because my friends have said that is the cheaper option compared to what I am paying right now (which is 40 USD). One of my friends recommended that I get magicjack. Is that a good option or is there a better one you guys recommend.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

You can switch to Google Voice which is free. If the number is something you want to keep you'll have to port it to a burner phone first and then to Google Voice. Another option is Anveo with a Obi and I believe all you pay for is E-911 service which is like $10/year.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

First thing you'll need to do is pick up a voip adapter you can control.. I don't know if you can do this with your current vonage device.. someone else may be able to say...

https://smile.amazon.com/OBi200-VoIP-Phone-Adapter-T-38/dp/B00BUV7C9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465674235&sr=8-1&keywords=obihai

This is the obi200, roughly $50 us on amazon.

They have a walkthrough that you can use to set up google voice. Which is free to set up / use pretty much(I'm assuming no international calls). And, if you don't want to have e-911 then you're set.

How, if you are using it as a home phone, when setting up the obi200, you can tie it into an e-911 service which runs along side the google voice. The e-911 costs $15 / yr (up to 4 911 calls as well, if more you'll need to resubscribe.. In my opinion, $15 is worth it even if you never use it.

If you need more than one line, you can get the 202, only $20 more. You can set up a dedicated fax line if you'd like. 

I've been using it for several months now and it is nice. I even got an alert when my obi100 was offline for an extended period to alert me of an issue (Something you can set up)

Now, if you don't want to bother with any of the set up, you can always get a Ooma, but then you'll have the monthly costs.

1 hour ago, B-dubya said:

First thing you'll need to do is pick up a voip adapter you can control.. I don't know if you can do this with your current vonage device.. someone else may be able to say...

https://smile.amazon.com/OBi200-VoIP-Phone-Adapter-T-38/dp/B00BUV7C9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465674235&sr=8-1&keywords=obihai

This is the obi200, roughly $50 us on amazon.

They have a walkthrough that you can use to set up google voice. Which is free to set up / use pretty much(I'm assuming no international calls). And, if you don't want to have e-911 then you're set.

How, if you are using it as a home phone, when setting up the obi200, you can tie it into an e-911 service which runs along side the google voice. The e-911 costs $15 / yr (up to 4 911 calls as well, if more you'll need to resubscribe.. In my opinion, $15 is worth it even if you never use it.

If you need more than one line, you can get the 202, only $20 more. You can set up a dedicated fax line if you'd like. 

I've been using it for several months now and it is nice. I even got an alert when my obi100 was offline for an extended period to alert me of an issue (Something you can set up)

Now, if you don't want to bother with any of the set up, you can always get a Ooma, but then you'll have the monthly costs.

The thing is my parents do often call relatives who are in china and they call us as well. So I want something that can do international calls. I'm just tired of paying 40 USD when I could get a cheaper option. Also I want to keep my current number since it makes it more convenient for the accounts that have that number on file. 

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Looks like google voice calls to china are just $0.01 /minute... 

depending on how much you might call, it shouldn't be close to what you are paying..

You will need to set up an account to cover the charges..

Might be some other options as far as voip  as well, but with google voice calls in the us will be free..

Country/Region Rate per minute USD
China - Landline
China - Mobile