MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X vs EVGA 1080 GTX FTW

IcEWoLF

Which would would you pick?

I bought the MSI card, but I could technically sell it on eBay when I receive it on Saturday...

MSI has 8+6 pin connector.

EVGA Has 8+8 pin connector. so I think that one would be more powerful, it may even OC better.

EVGA has better RMA/Customer service.

MSI card would match with my current build perfectly.

MSI Twin Frozr should be a very good quiet and cool card.

EVGA RBG is more attractive than the MSI small dragon logo rbg.

However the MSI card design looks more complete than the EVGA card, but thats subjective.

I think the EVGA card might even OC better.

The price gap is big too...MSI is $720 and the EVGA FTW is $680. MSI is in stock now, EVGA we don't know when they will have the FTW in stock and available for purchase since the people that pre-ordered will get priority next week.

Also I noticed the Classified might be around the corner, and according to Jacobs tweet the classified will definitely be cheaper than the MSI Gaming X. The classified card looks to be the same size of the MSI Twin Frozr card.

So, if you were in my position what would you do?

2 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Which would would you pick?

I bought the MSI card, but I could technically sell it on eBay when I receive it on Saturday...

MSI has 8+6 pin connector.

EVGA Has 8+8 pin connector. so I think that one would be more powerful, it may even OC better.

EVGA has better RMA/Customer service.

MSI card would match with my current build perfectly.

MSI Twin Frozr should be a very good quiet and cool card.

EVGA RBG is more attractive than the MSI small dragon logo rbg.

However the MSI card design looks more complete than the EVGA card, but thats subjective.

I think the EVGA card might even OC better.

The price gap is big too...MSI is $720 and the EVGA FTW is $680. MSI is in stock now, EVGA we don't know when they will have the FTW in stock and available for purchase since the people that pre-ordered will get priority next week.

Also I noticed the Classified might be around the corner, and according to Jacobs tweet the classified will definitely be cheaper than the MSI Gaming X. The classified card looks to be the same size of the MSI Twin Frozr card.

So, if you were in my position what would you do?

Get the EVGA since it's cheaper.

Out of all the card I like MSI design the most, but for that price I wont buy it. OC will depend entirely one the silicon lottery, and it's not like the EVGA will magically have 20-30fps higher than the MSI one after all, so just get whatever is cheaper and look okish on the eyes.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

7 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Out of all the card I like MSI design the most, but for that price I wont buy it. OC will depend entirely one the silicon lottery, and it's not like the EVGA will magically have 20-30fps higher than the MSI one after all, so just get whatever is cheaper and look okish on the eyes.

I personally had limited time to get one before I leave, managed to get the MSI X 8G one when it was in stock yesturday, they say it should arrive Wednesday.

1 minute ago, JMJenkins said:

I personally had limited time to get one before I leave, managed to get the MSI X 8G one when it was in stock yesturday, they say it should arrive Wednesday.

I also have a chance to get one at $610 tomorrow LOL, so I probably will get one and sell it to someone else at $680-700 and buy a 1070 later.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

I also have a chance to get one at $610 tomorrow LOL, so I probably will get one and sell it to someone else at $680-700 and buy a 1070 later.

I dislike you right now :P Anyway, I had limited time as I said, 18 days from now I leave to come back home. Bought a whole new PC from my 6 year old one and cannot wait to start using it.

26 minutes ago, Megazero said:

I would have bought the EVGA over the MSI today if they were both on stock.

Unfortunately we don't really know when EVGA will be available...

2 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Well...

I got a reply from EVGA Jacob on Twitter, confirmed the first FTWs are coming next week. If what I've found is correct it will be Monday for the lower end EVGA cards and Friday for the FTW.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 hour ago, IcEWoLF said:

We were going to go with the FTW edition but the stock got delayed to the 26th of June, obviously a no-go for me, I still have to pre-clear it before I fly. So no time there.

45 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Classified 

I wanted that the most, but no information on my end when it'd be out and it'd have to be in my hands by the 22nd to clear it in time before I fly.

24 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

I got a reply from EVGA Jacob on Twitter, confirmed the first FTWs are coming next week. If what I've found is correct it will be Monday for the lower end EVGA cards and Friday for the FTW.

Sadly where I looked I was out of luck, took to long to try buy one as everytime I had just finished putting my details in, out of stock.

2 hours ago, Megazero said:

Way to go really...  If you can buy the limited stock of 1080 cards and make some profit, why not... then go out and get the 1070 to keep.

Just now, alphaproject said:

Way to go really...  If you can buy the limited stock of 1080 cards and make some profit, why not... then go out and get the 1070 to keep.

IKR :P We have some sort of 1 day (more like 1-2 hours actually) promotion where price of some stuff got discount ALOT, so I will probably have to camp there since morning to get my hand on a Gaming X 1080, if I'm unable to it's fine too, I would bought a 1070 anyway

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Classified 

Whelp, I guess the MSI card gets sold, too bad on eBay and Paypal fees you barely make anything out of it, more like a wash with shipping...

Newegg also told me I could technically refuse the delivery and they would refund me the cost once they get the card back...