Old Pentium 4 pc

I have this very old pc that I found in my mother's closet that has a pentium 4 processor and I don't know what to do with it. I am seriously wondering if I should reuse it or just leave it to rot.

Could always reuse it for a htpc, or if its lga 775, mobo supports core 2 quads and 4-16 gb of ram, turn it into a half decent gaming pc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 minutes ago, Marcus Kemp said:

I have this very old pc that I found in my mother's closet that has a pentium 4 processor and I don't know what to do with it. I am seriously wondering if I should reuse it or just leave it to rot.

Depending on the parts I might buy it from you!  Let me know more about it

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

4 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Could always reuse it for a htpc, or if its lga 775, mobo supports core 2 quads and 4-16 gb of ram, turn it into a half decent gaming pc.

Not true, most computers with a pentium 4 will not support a core2 duo. I also believe that no motherboards support Pentium 4's and Core2 Quads.

FSB and the chipsets really matter with LGA 775.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Not true, most computers with a pentium 4 will not support a core2 duo. I also believe that no motherboards support Pentium 4's and Core2 Quads.

Which is why i said "IF the mobo supports core 2 quads".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

10 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

or if its lga 775, mobo supports core 2 quads 

That is not what you said, anyway what you said doesn't make much sense.

11 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

wrong, p35 and p45 chipset boards support everything from a pentium d to a core 2 quad extreme edition 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

wrong, p35 and p45 chipset boards support everything from a pentium d to a core 2 quad extreme edition 

10 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

That is not what you said, anyway what you said doesn't make much sense.

12 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

guys shut up you all sound like horde of nerds and not the good kind just let me figure out more about his darn thing because the heatsink is stuck on there and I can't find a way to get it off

1 minute ago, Marcus Kemp said:

guys shut up you all sound like horde of nerds and not the good kind just let me figure out more about his darn thing because the heatsink is stuck on there and I can't find a way to get it off

is the system a prebuilt from dell? during that time period it was all BTX so you need to take a screwdriver and remove 4 screws holding the heatsink down. most likely you have a Pentium D series CPU under the heatsink 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

is the system a prebuilt from dell? during that time period it was all BTX so you need to take a screwdriver and remove 4 screws holding the heatsink down. most likely you have a Pentium D series CPU under the heatsink 

actually I needed to take a green clip and move back a black bracket to remove the aluminum block. btw the cpu says

Intel   '01

Pentium 4

2.8Ghz/512/533

SL6PF Costa Rica

3406A767

1 minute ago, Marcus Kemp said:

actually I needed to take a green clip and move back a black bracket to remove the aluminum block. btw the cpu says

Intel   '01

Pentium 4

2.8Ghz/512/533

SL6PF Costa Rica

3406A767

nvm not the Pentium d line that was 05 this is early 2000's. i would install a very light OS like linux mint or just install win 95 on it and use it as a retro PC 

Sell parts at ebay or your local similar website. I did a similar thing and sold a Phenom X2 Quadcore, DDR2 RAM, gts 450,.... It gives a bit of money and makes me feel better because i didnt throw it in the rubbish.

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

nvm not the Pentium d line that was 05 this is early 2000's. i would install a very light OS like linux mint or just install win 95 on it and use it as a retro PC 

well in the beginning I did say pentium 4

16 minutes ago, Marcus Kemp said:

well in the beginning I did say pentium 4

my bad id didnt see that part lol i only saw old pentium so i assumed you ment pentium D 

38 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Actually not true, P35 droped support for P4's but some motherboards still worked with pentium 4's, same with p45.

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Actually not true, P35 droped support for P4's but some motherboards still worked with pentium 4's, same with p45.

That's was my misinformation because I didnt fully read the article when he said pentium 4 not pentium d 

22 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Don't want to start anything but why are you going around trying to be better than everyone...you got a problem or something?

4 hours ago, MIXFUSED said:

Don't want to start anything but why are you going around trying to be better than everyone...you got a problem or something?

I don't like miss information and I don't want someone to waste money on something that isn't going to work.

15 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I don't like miss information and I don't want someone to waste money on something that isn't going to work.

okay