GTX 970 crashes PC but GTX770 doesn't

So I have a really rather weird one! Today I built up a brand new machine with 100% brand new parts.

Now the problem I'm having is that my brand new GTX 970 appears to be causing my machine to reboot as soon as the GPU activity gets high, I can use Windows normally and it is absolutely fine but as soon as I say load up firestrike benchmark or GTA V or its benchmark tool the system freezes and reboots.

So I did some diagnostics and came to the conclusion the GPU was bad, So I swapped in my GTX 770 and that works absolutely fine in everything, But before I wanted to write off the GTX 970 as bad I put it in my Sandybridge i7 rig and low and behold it seems to work absolutely fine which has left me stumped!

The system I built today has an Asrock 99 Extreme 4, 5820k & 32GB Corsair 2666 LPX ram and a Corsair ax760 power supply. 

I have so far ran stress tests on the CPU and memory with zero failures (both at stock clocks and overclocked)

Checked all the system temps and everything is running really cool

Tried resetting my bios settings and running the benchmarks/ games with all overclocks off.

changing PCI slots.

re installing & re downloading drivers.

changing the cables on the PSU.

I haven't however swapped PSUs with my Sandybridge rig (as they're both identical models) because the GTX 770 draws way more power so I'm going to assume that the PSU isn't defective and can power the rig.

Where the heck should I go from here?

Will.

My PC - Ryzen 5600X - 16GB DDR4 - 2070 Super - 1TB NVME + 1TB HD with far too much Corsair RGB!

Retro Rig - P3 1GHz - 320MB PC133 - Voodoo 3 2000 - 30GB IDE - Win 98 SE

My Links -  http://www.twitter.com/willtheplank

Make sure your PSU isn't overheating, disable any Eco Mode stuff and put it on a manual mode where the fan is always active.

Make sure the PSU fan is spinning.

It could be simply a inactive PSU fan allowing your PSU to get too hot with the more power hungry 970, and it shuts itself off before overheating and damage occur.

Or wait does the 770 draw more power? Shit... Idk then.

GPU's shouldn't be able to reboot PC's themselves, and if it works in your other PC it's obviously not the 970.

I just don't get why this wouldn't happen with the 770 too if this was the PSU, still worth checking I suppose since it's easy to do.

It Might not be the GPU, I think it's the mobo or at least setting in it that I'd causing that . Try stressing the CPU with prime95, one with small ftt and second use large blend . Also do you get any error codes or is just hard freeze them u restart it your self . Also how long does it take for it to freeze ?

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

3 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Try stressing the CPU with prime95, one with small ftt and second use large blend

Might as well light a match and place it on his CPU to see if it can handle stupid amounts of heat. /s

Haswell doesn't like Prime95, it's relatively unsafe to use. Use something like AIDA64 instead.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

They say they've already tested the CPU at stock and overclocked and monitored temps.

So lets not suggest they redo it for no fuckin reason yea?

How about we suggest they test things they haven't already tested, what an idea!...

OP said they tested another GPU in the PC having issues and the issues were gone, and usually CPU errors give BSOD's not sudden reboots with no information.

So it's almost certainly not the CPU.

55 minutes ago, Hunched said:

They say they've already tested the CPU at stock and overclocked and monitored temps.

So lets not suggest they redo it for no fuckin reason yea?

How about we suggest they test things they haven't already tested, what an idea!...

OP said they tested another GPU in the PC having issues and the issues were gone, and usually CPU errors give BSOD's not sudden reboots with no information.

So it's almost certainly not the CPU.

You are wrong my friend, when the uncore of CPU is not stable the whole PC freeze with out Bsod . The new version of prime is safe, and the only reason I suggested it is because I had similar problem and when running prime that issue poped after 10 min while it never poped up in Aida64 .

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

1 minute ago, 3DOSH said:

You are wrong my friend, when the uncore of CPU is not stable the whole PC freeze with out Bsod . The new version of prime is safe, and the only reason I suggested it is because I had similar problem and when running prime that issue poped after 10 min while it never poped up in Aida64 .

I'm not wrong about it making no fucking sense to continue testing the CPU when simply switching the GPU resolves the problem.

Switching the GPU obviously wouldn't do a thing to help if it was uncore that was unstable, so why should they bother checking for this?

Also, it's very unlikely the uncore is unstable at stock settings...

It's as if nobody reads the issues and things people have done to try to resolve them. 

2 minutes ago, Hunched said:

I'm not wrong about it making no fucking sense to continue testing the CPU when simply switching the GPU resolves the problem.

Switching the GPU obviously wouldn't do a thing to help if it was uncore that was unstable, so why should they bother checking for this?

Also, it's very unlikely the uncore is unstable at stock settings...

It's as if nobody reads the issues and things people have done to try to resolve them. 

OK dipshit, explain how he put the gpu in different system and it worked. 

Don't reply to me OK, you are just here shitting on what I have to say , if you have better idea say it, if not shut the fuck up. 

1 minute ago, 3DOSH said:

OK dipshit, explain how he put the gpu in different system and it worked. 

Don't reply to me OK, you are just here shitting on what I have to say , if you have better idea say it, if not shut the fuck up. 

I already posted my better suggestion and to as why that may be, maybe if you could learn to fucking read we wouldn't be here.

1 minute ago, Hunched said:

I already posted my better suggestion and to as why that may be, maybe if you could learn to fucking read we wouldn't be here.

This forum is cancer as of late, I feel sorry for the OP. Later douchebag. 

5 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

This forum is cancer as of late, I feel sorry for the OP. Later douchebag. 

I'm the only person who suggested them to try something they haven't already tried.

You're telling them to test their CPU for a third time after they already tried it twice, overclocked, and stock, and it was fine.

Stop wasting peoples time and go away or suggest something that hasn't been attempted that makes some sense.

I'm tired of people being useless and wasting peoples time who are having issues because nobody can read the fucking 1st post properly when people need help.

Don't come back.

UPDATE - It's now fixed and working!

TLDR - 8 pin power cable was bad, Swapped for another and it works.

Long version - I tried a whole lot of stuff including changing slots on the motherboard again, Plugging in that molex plug on the MOBO for when you're running multiple GPUS. Then I tried removing my other PCI cards but finally it was trying another power cable that did it!

I think the reason my 770 worked was because I was using a dual 8 pin power cable to give it juice and that was obviously fine, I plan to run a multimeter on the duff single 8 pin to see if I can figure out what connection was causing the issue.

Overclocks re applied and a couple hours of stability testing/ benchmarks and all runs perfect! 

Ta everyone for the input :)

My PC - Ryzen 5600X - 16GB DDR4 - 2070 Super - 1TB NVME + 1TB HD with far too much Corsair RGB!

Retro Rig - P3 1GHz - 320MB PC133 - Voodoo 3 2000 - 30GB IDE - Win 98 SE

My Links -  http://www.twitter.com/willtheplank