do you or any need to reinstal steam games when reinstal windows ?

maria2244
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,
1 hour ago, maria2244 said:

I mean lets say you want to start fresh and reinstall windows 10 on your SSD for example

do you delete all of your steam games that installed on your hdd and re download them after reinstalling windows

for better performance ?

You can just point steam back at your libraries folder without having to redownload games, 

it makes NO difference to performance 

I mean lets say you want to start fresh and reinstall windows 10 on your SSD for example

do you delete all of your steam games that installed on your hdd and re download them after reinstalling windows

for better performance ?

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

Well, at least in my case I did not experience any issues with installing Windows 10 on my SSD and keep all the Steam files on the HDD.

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

10 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No. When you run Steam, go to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads and pres the "Steam Library Folders", then press "Add Library Folder" and point it to the SteamLibrary folder in your HDD.

thanks

but if I redownload the games will I get better performance

or same

as

reusing steam folder with a new windows ?

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

Dont think it will have any effect on performance, i'd like to do it for no reason.

Maybe because im to lazy to backup any stuff.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

10 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

Dont think it will have any effect on performance, i'd like to do it for no reason.

thanks

but sorry

i did not understand what do you mean ?

Im way to lazy to copy the steam library or to set a backup for it, when i do windows installations i'll always do clean installations.

I do not have alot of important stuff and what it is i save on a USB and put it later back on my PC.

But my Games partition is like 500GB and Downloads is also like 400GB, i dont like to see if i want to keep stuff or not.

Since i have relative fast internet i always can get it again.

Maybe it will have just a little tiny bit of effect, i do not know exactly how HDD's operate but if they want to have something like i_like_cows.jpg and you put it on a relative Full HDD it would be futher from he begin of the disk so it will take just a bit longer to find?

And if you have downloaded i_like_cows.jpg on a clean full formatted disc it would be at almost the begin of the disk so it will be faster to find i guess.

If that is how HDD works, you can do a bit of research on that.. dont take my word for it, i actually heard that if you put your games in a separate partition that it would be a little tiny bit faster.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

18 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

thanks

but if I redownload the games will I get better performance

or same

as

reusing steam folder with a new windows ?

It shouldn't make a difference unless files are damaged or missing. If you notice issues, first try verifying the game's files in the Library.

any games on the hdd you format will be gone, if you have the games on another hdd/ssd, all you need to do is locate the folder and add it back to steam, easy peasy.

32 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

for better performance ?

Steam also has an image making feature.  You select what games you want to store and Steam makes an ISO file.  You store that file wherever you want and then Steam will restore the games from that image when you want it to.

I believe it is named "Backup" on one of the drop down menus.  "Settings" maybe.  I have not done it in a while.

38 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

depending on the game, lets say witcher3 or anything you imagine with high amount of loading screen will benefit from the SSD speed

moving witcher3 from HDD to SSD shortened loading times to 1/3 of the time needed

and you can use different locations for your steam games if i'm not wrong, and put games with long load times to the SSD

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 hour ago, maria2244 said:

for better performance ?

You can just point steam back at your libraries folder without having to redownload games, 

it makes NO difference to performance 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii