New windows refresh

Brownfield1995

Okay so I just bought a WD blue 1tb and a 250 SanDisk ssd. My desktop already has a 1tb WD blue to begin with but windows is buggy so I wanna save some files then start fresh with both 1tb drives and the 250 ssd. My question is how do I do this easily? What's the best way? Thanks!

unplug everything

install windows on the SSD

plug in the other two HDDs (make sure you boot into the SSD though)

copy paste the files from your old drive to your new SSD/HDD

then you can either format the old HDD or just remove it from your system

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

unplug everything

install windows on the SSD

plug in the other two HDDs (make sure you boot into the SSD though)

copy paste the files from your old drive to your new SSD/HDD

then you can either format the old HDD or just remove it from your system

Unplug everything as in what? Install Windows from my win 8 disk straight to the ssd and then boot from the ssd in bios?

3 minutes ago, Brownfield1995 said:

Unplug everything as in what? Install Windows from my win 8 disk straight to the ssd and then boot from the ssd in bios?

unplug all drives and disks

and install windows 10 from a USB drive to the ssd

its a lot easier

in bios just make sure the SSD is at the top of the boot priority list

sometimes during the windows install the PC will restart and try to boot into the USB again, if that happens then restart it, go into bios, and put the SSD at the top of the list again

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

unplug all drives and disks

and install windows 10 from a USB drive to the ssd

its a lot easier

in bios just make sure the SSD is at the top of the boot priority list

sometimes during the windows install the PC will restart and try to boot into the USB again, if that happens then restart it, go into bios, and put the SSD at the top of the list again

How do I boot win 10 onto a flash drive?

1 minute ago, Brownfield1995 said:

How do I boot win 10 onto a flash drive?

just use the microsoft tool, its really simple

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Brownfield1995 said:

And one last thing. I have very important video and music making software that was very expensive. How and where do I find these files to transfer from HD to HD?

you dont transfer software

software needs to be reinstalled

pretty much everything can be downloaded from the internet

you just need to know how to transfer an activation

every software is different so you will have to find out how to do that yourself or by contacting the company

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Enderman said:

you dont transfer software

software needs to be reinstalled

pretty much everything can be downloaded from the internet

you just need to know how to transfer an activation

every software is different so you will have to find out how to do that yourself or by contacting the company

all done! Thanks for the help!

On 8.06.2016 г. at 6:13 AM, Brownfield1995 said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

As @Enderman pointed out, you can't really transfer the software as it is tied to the system registry of the old OS. You can, however, access the old data from the drives as long as the file system is readable on the new OS (you are probably using NTFS). 

The reason for unplugging all other storage devices is that the installer may put the system recovery and reserved partitions on other storage drives and you won't be able to boot your system without them (if you upgrade/swap them). 

I'd add that you should check if your OS is activated and validated with the key that you have. :)

You should also delete all old OS and system partitions from your old drive (after you back up all the data you'd need) from Disk Management.

Post back if you need any further help :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

8 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi there :)

As @Enderman pointed out, you can't really transfer the software as it is tied to the system registry of the old OS. You can, however, access the old data from the drives as long as the file system is readable on the new OS (you are probably using NTFS). 

The reason for unplugging all other storage devices is that the installer may put the system recovery and reserved partitions on other storage drives and you won't be able to boot your system without them (if you upgrade/swap them). 

I'd add that you should check if your OS is activated and validated with the key that you have. :)

You should also delete all old OS and system partitions from your old drive (after you back up all the data you'd need) from Disk Management.

Post back if you need any further help :)

Captain_WD.

My girl bought the new 1tb storage for her 1080p youtube videos. Should I use both as storage? or should I run a raid config?

14 hours ago, Brownfield1995 said:

~snip~

Unless you specifically need a RAID configuration for redundancy (in which case you would lose the capacity of one of the drives for the redundancy) or increase of the sequential speeds (in expense of the data safet and increased risk for your volume's health) I would suggest to stick to using the drives as two separate volumes. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/