How much of difference is there between WD blue and black

Tac127
Go to solution Solved by Z-Gaming,
7 minutes ago, Tac127 said:

Looking to get a hard drive for my currently ssd only system and i wanted to know how much real world difference between them. I will be storing games on it

Generally speaking, you would want a Black if you're gonna use it as a boot drive, as well as for gaming.

And Blue for saving non-frequent files like videos, image (basically storage).

However, the price difference isn't that much and most people would suggest to get the Black over the Blue because of performance concerns.

The Blue features this power-saving thingy that may or may not be reliable.

GENERALLY SPEAKING.

Black: 7200RPM + 64MB Cache(bigger is better), but may present more noise, heat, and power consumption. emphasis on the may

Blue: 5400-7200RPM + 16-32MB Cache (depends on capacity)

I'd suggest the blacks over the blues.

Also I'll only be using it as a storage drive (I already have an SSD as boot and programs drive, already have sacrificial 2.5"s for downloads and torrents)

Example: 6TB Blue = 4TB Black in price.

Looking to get a hard drive for my currently ssd only system and i wanted to know how much real world difference between them. I will be storing games on it

2 minutes ago, Tac127 said:

A few seconds at best with quite a bit more noise.

A WD Black is like a slow SSD and a Blue is just your average HDD so if you don't mind the potentially increased noise then get the WD Black drive.

7 minutes ago, Tac127 said:

Generally speaking, you would want a Black if you're gonna use it as a boot drive, as well as for gaming.

However, the price difference isn't that much and most people would suggest to get the Black over the Blue because of performance concerns.

GENERALLY SPEAKING.

Black: 7200RPM + 64MB Cache(bigger is better), but may present more noise, heat, and power consumption. emphasis on the may

Also I'll only be using it as a storage drive (I already have an SSD as boot and programs drive, already have sacrificial 2.5"s for downloads and torrents)

3 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

GENERALLY SPEAKING.

12 minutes ago, Tac127 said:

Are you talking about the Caviar series or just the straight up Black and Blue?

WD Blacks have larger cache sizes and better durability ratings. There isn't too much of a difference.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

blacks are faster and louder

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Are you talking about the Caviar series or just the straight up Black and Blue?

what is the difference 

Black from what I remember has a better warranty and average life-span due to up-rated components.. but not really worth the extra spend IMO when you can get 2 barracudas for the same price and run a mirror.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

1 minute ago, Tac127 said:

what is the difference 

About 32MB-64MBs of cache between the Black and Caviar Black, and 32MBs plus 1800RPMs on the Blue and Caviar Blue.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

About 32MB-64MBs of cache between the Black and Caviar Black, and 32MBs plus 1800RPMs on the Blue and Caviar Blue.

which one is newer

which one is newer

All are about the same age. The caviar series I believe is newer

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

All are about the same age. The caviar series I believe is newer

so caviar is better

so caviar is better

Not necessarily. The other drives are still in production, and it's the plain Black drives that have the higher cache.