Trying to make the best of a cheap setup...

cnelson3225

So I have the cruddy mobo in the sig and I do not have a sound card. I currently have sound coming out stereo 3.5mm to my reviver and the audio is shotty, to say the least. It sounds "crunchy" at the high end, like someone is crinkling paper.

Now my receiver has optical in and the mobo has optical out... So am I wrong in thinking sending stereo sound through the optical will put the processing on the receiver (which is much higher quality)?

I know very little about optical and some teaching would be great! Thanks!

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

No, you are correct. The digital signal will be de-coded in your receiver before being amplified.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Yes you are correct. The digital signal will be de-coded in your receiver before being amplified.

Thanks for such a quick response. Thats what makes this community great!

I shall be ordering me an optical cable.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

Thanks for such a quick response. Thats what makes this community great!

I shall be ordering me an optical cable.

You're gonna wish you tried this a lot sooner.  :)

You're gonna wish you tried this a lot sooner.  :)

I hope so!

-Just ordered :)

So I just got my cable, and I am not getting sound from my PC. I tried the cable with my TV and it works great...

The "volume mixer" shows audio going out via digital out, but I hear nothing. Is there some wizardry I need to do to get this going?

So I just got my cable, and I am not getting sound from my PC. I tried the cable with my TV and it works great...

The "volume mixer" shows audio going out via digital out, but I hear nothing. Is there some wizardry I need to do to get this going?

Try setting other digital outputs to default. If you see no others, right click and select both 'Show Disabled Devices' and 'Show Disconnected Devices'

I did it! I did it!

I nuked the whole thing. Uninstalled drivers, reinstalled different drivers, made things default...

Finally after no drivers and a fresh restart, windows configured it and thus gave me an "HD Digital Output (Optical)." Behold it works now. Have not tested the quality difference, I'll post back if you want ;)

Yea the quality is night and day. Still not sure of the technicalities or if I have the optimal settings, but ignorance is bliss in this case.

Yea the quality is night and day. Still not sure of the technicalities or if I have the optimal settings, but ignorance is bliss in this case.

Glad you're finally enjoying your music! 

9021301-young-businessman-relax-with-mus

Mission accomplished guys.

Glad you're finally enjoying your music! 

9021301-young-businessman-relax-with-mus

Mission accomplished guys.

anytime...   Glad I could be of help...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.