Internet Reliability Issues

positivePXL

I am not entirely sure if this is a thread that should under Troubleshooting, or under Networking, but I have committed, and now I just have to stick to it.

Okay, so, the problem is, is that at random times during the day, and at random times during the night, my internet become extremely unreliable. 50% of the time, it just stops working, and I restart the modem, the other 50% of the time, it spikes my ping over 500ms and holds it there until I either throw my computer across the room, or unplug the modem.

Now, neither of these solutions are ideal, is there anything that I can do to determine if this is happening on my end (with our devices or with the modem), or on my providers end?

Thanks in advance, 

positivePXL [+PXL]

well if you can afford it you can get a new compatible modem and see if it does the same thing, if it does it's your provider or somewhere along the line and you can return said modem for a refund, if not it's your equipment and well, you would have already replaced it

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 hour ago, Cyracus said:

well if you can afford it you can get a new compatible modem and see if it does the same thing, if it does it's your provider or somewhere along the line and you can return said modem for a refund, if not it's your equipment and well, you would have already replaced it

Yes, but it's a modem supplied by the provider. . .

Yeah, they my mom had a modem supplied by the provider and it cut out a lot like you're describing, and despite the provider claiming it couldn't be the modem I got her a new one and the problem disappeared, plus it saves her a little each month by getting rid of their modem rental fee. 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Who is your ISP? A lot of them allow you to bring your own modem and if they are charging you an equipment rental fee that will save you money as well. Do you have a modem/router combo or do you have a modem and then a router connected to it?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

Who is your ISP? A lot of them allow you to bring your own modem and if they are charging you an equipment rental fee that will save you money as well. Do you have a modem/router combo or do you have a modem and then a router connected to it?

It's a combo I believe. My ISP is CenturyLink.

3 hours ago, positivePXL said:

It's a combo I believe. My ISP is CenturyLink.

Well your on DSL so Im not sure if your modem has logs like cable modems where you can see if the signal is good. If resetting the modem fixes the issue then I would say its the modem. Id try buying your own modem, seeing how your paying 9.99 a month according to their website to lease that POS modem you have now. I would also try to visually inspect the lines on the poles if you can. Many phone providers dont maintain their infrastructure well, ATT and Verizon being the biggest ones. If a new mdoem doesnt help then its on their side of the network. You will have to call them to see if they can send a tech out to fix it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.