Building my First AMD Gaming Rig. and I have questions!

Hey Guy's and Gal's,

So I am building my first AMD Gaming computer, I have build Intel computer's before, most of them were frankensteins and restorations.
I have a small Clue of what I am doing but not that much. 

My parts list is as follows:

Motherboard: Biostar TA970 Ver. 5-3,

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm

RAM: Team Vulcan 16gb (2x8gb)

PSU: CORSAIR RMx RM750X 750W 
Boot Drive: Corsair Force LS 2.5 SSD

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB HHD

Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus

My Questions are; 
What graphics cards should I be looking at?
GTX 1070? Radeon 480? 
Or should I look at something else? 

I've always used hand me down parts so looking for new equipment is very unnerving because I have no clue what I am doing to be honest. 

Thanks alot, and Thank you for reading

~ The Psychopathic Squirrel.  

Choosing between the GTX 1070 and the RX480 really depends on how much grunt you need.

Have the money? I don't see why you shouldn't get the 1070.

12 minutes ago, raystriker98 said:

I don't see why you shouldn't get the 1070.

I dont think 1070 is suitable for a fx 6300

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't buy a amd cpu now. Buy a i5/i7 or wait for zen and see it performs. 

The 6300 is crap comparted to intel and is about the same as a pentium. 

I already have a I5 Rig, I'm trying out AMD for a while to see the real difference. and it has a 780ti in it.

6 minutes ago, raystriker98 said:

Choosing between the GTX 1070 and the RX480 really depends on how much grunt you need.

Have the money? I don't see why you shouldn't get the 1070.

I don't really have alot of money. the GTX 1070 is a really good looker is maybe gonna drop in price. I'm not buying at the the parts at once. I just ordered a few parts at a time. 

3 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

I dont think 1070 is suitable for a fx 6300

I meant it as a continuation to Electronics Wizardly's post.

Of  course the FX6300 would bottleneck the GTX 1070 big time.

AMD is not good for gaming. If your looking to budget game, get a low end i5 like a 6400 and build off that, you will get much better performance than with AMD. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Psycho_Squirrel said:

I already have a I5 Rig, I'm trying out AMD for a while to see the real difference. and it has a 780ti in it.

I don't really have alot of money. the GTX 1070 is a really good looker is maybe gonna drop in price. I'm not buying at the the parts at once. I just ordered a few parts at a time. 

Buddy your wasitng your money. The new rig will be slower. Just waint for a newer zen cpu. The amd cpu's are crap.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Buddy your wasitng your money. The new rig will be slower. Just waint for a newer zen cpu. The amd cpu's are crap.

For their power and price AMD make a better option than intel's price. The cheapest i5 Quad core is $179 and is only 2.8GHz. But for $105 I can get a FX-6300 6-Core 3.5GHz. for the bang for the buck the I5 loses. And I already have a I5-4430.