Intel i5 6600k (OC yes or no?) & GTX 1080

Go to solution Solved by Sintezza,
2 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

I guess i skip OC then as soon it doesn't bottleneck GTX 1080.

At 4K gaming.

Or GPU bound games at 1440p for example it wouldnt realy bottleneck nope.

Hi guys, i just want to know if it is necessary to overclock the Intel i5 6600k if i run this with the GTX 1080? If so can anyone show me step by step how much voltage and speed to increase in the bios?
Things i would like to know:
How much should i OC? (I don't want to push it too hard)
Is the temperature good?
Should i overclock for the first time or just leave it?

My build:
Asus Z170-A

Intel i5 6600k 3.5GHz
Corsair RM850X

16 GB 3000MHz Ram
GTX 1080 (Buying it once it comes out)

12.png

Well thats kinda the point of the K series is to get it as fast as it can go....

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

4 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

Hi guys, i just want to know if it is necessary to overclock the Intel i5 6600k if i run this with the GTX 1080? If so can anyone show me step by step how much voltage and speed to

u dont need to overclock but u can if u want to cause free performance bvut u wont have any bottleneck issues

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

Well thats kinda the point of the K series is to get it as fast as it can go....

Right now my temperature is around 63 C, how much will it increase if i overclock it to 4.5GHz?

1 minute ago, MentalBlank said:

i just want to know if it is necessary to overclock the Intel i5 6600k if i run this with the GTX 1080?

Define "necessary". Obviously it'll work without OCing, but if are running it at stock, then you pretty much just threw your money into the garbage can at the time of purchase. In that sense, yes, it's "necessary".

3 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

How much should i OC? (I don't want to push it too hard)

3 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

Is the temperature good?

Keep it under 85C and you'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

Should i overclock for the first time or just leave it?

See my first quote.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, PaulKolby said:

u dont need to overclock but u can if u want to cause free performance bvut u wont have any bottleneck issues

The problem is, i was told by many people to not risk OC. But i know for sure it's safe if you know what to do. I just need tips to make sure that what i'm doing is right.

It should be fine in most games at stock. I'd personnally try to see what it can do at stock voltage, that would be perfectly safe.

Right now my temperature is around 63 C, how much will it increase if i overclock it to 4.5GHz?

You overclock as far as you can handle the temps. Turbo Boost has a tendency to use a little too much voltage for the same clock rate.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 minute ago, Megahurt said:

It should be fine in most games at stock. I'd personnally try to see what it can do at stock voltage, that would be perfectly safe.

I think the Voltage is on Auto in the bios, should i change it to 1.33v then mess with the speed?

7 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

I think the Voltage is on Auto in the bios, should i change it to 1.33v then mess with the speed?

No, you should change it to something as low as 1.25v. Test it first to see if your cooling can actually handle the temps; IF you are good, then increase a notch and torture test again to make sure thermals are in check.

Find the max voltage that will keep you under 83C at all times and only then move on to increasing the speed.. It'll depend on the cooling, but it should be around the 1.3~1.35v range.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Overclocking is not realy needed persee.

Of course you will be able to squeeze a littlebit more performance out of it.

But it highly depends on which resolution you game on for that matter.

If you game at 4K for example, an overclock isnt going to help you realy much.

But if you play at low res like 1080p, then an overclock will definitely help a bit in certain cpu demending games who like high clockspeeds on just a few cores.

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Overclocking is not realy needed persee.

Of course you will be able to squeeze a littlebit more performance out of it.

But it highly depends on which resolution you game on for that matter.

If you game at 4K for example, an overclock isnt going to help you realy much.

But if you play at low res like 1080p, then an overclock will definitely help a bit in certain cpu demending games who like high clockspeeds on just a few cores.

At 4K gaming.

Or GPU bound games at 1440p for example it wouldnt realy bottleneck nope.

do like 4.0 to 4.5 as this is a pretty moderate overclock and you can get a very snappy experience doing just about anything. keep the temps under 70C when at fullload for more then 5-10 mins