Core games hit new heights, so why do they feel threatened?

MzCatieB

After reading an article on Gamesindustry.biz i felt like i should share it with you guys.

More here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-27-core-games-hit-new-heights-so-why-do-they-feel-threatened

v_pestcontrol_2560x1600.jpg

Monster-Hunter-4.jpg

Quotes:

"Why does this kind of knee-jerk unpleasantness get so consistently applied to the new, more casual audiences?"

"GTA V cements games as the dominant entertainment medium of our era by finally silencing the last bastion of naysaying"

"GTA V and Monster Hunter 4; two games which are absolutely squarely aimed at the core gamer who is presently so terrified of being squeezed out by the flood of mobile, casual and social software. Two games which, completely uncoincidentally, have just become the biggest entertainment properties in the world and in Japan over the past few weeks."

Character artist in the Games industry.

It just sounds like random sensationalism to me.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

never even heard of monster hunt 4

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

My only issue with casual games is the amount of shit I get for it. Say you play Call of Duty for 8 hours a day, and everyone who isn't a "core" gamer looks at you like you're whacko, and aren't going anywhere in life. Yes, 8 hours a day is kinda extreme, but you're missing the point. Then your mom plays 8 hours of Candy Crush a day? So what?

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

never even heard of monster hunt 4

but im sure uve heard of monster hunt  right ?

its like saying u havnt heard of sonic

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

but im sure uve heard of monster hunt  right ?

its like saying u havnt heard of sonic

nope, never heard of monster hunt :S 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

nope, never heard of monster hunt :S 

had a PSP before?

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

They still make those?

Plus I'm pretty sure gtaV is aimed at the same crowd that plays madden and CoD

had a PSP before?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Problem here is that peoples' perception and personal definition of "causal", "core", and "hardcore" game/gamer clashes with others'.

Point is: Everyone take a chill pill (I'm sure it's a thing) ​You do not need to dissect every little human interest or desire, especially in the entertainment industry.

If I want to hunt some monsters, and play "causally" or compete "hardcore", I will do just that as I desire. If I want to do lots of normally illegal things IRL, but have the morality not to do so in IRL, I will do them in a video game, not harming anyone. And I can do that "causally" and play for a little while, or play "hardcore" for hours on end. (That is if you want to determine those factors by the amount of time spent playing) 

The whole hardcore, causal, core gamer argument is simply stupid. It's like saying you've got "bigger balls" than another because you drank more than they did. It's sort of a masculinity thing, if you understand what I'm saying.

sysloc

had a PSP before?

nope xD

Monster Hunter is ABSURDLY HUGE in Japan, and usually gets a release elsewhere to much less enthusiasm. It's also extremely grindy and difficult, thus why it's considered a "core gamer" game, though they also released a pretty decent iOS mini-game that removed or simplified a lot of concepts.