Does it matter if a wireless router has any external antennas?

dave4shmups

So I'm browsing wireless routers on microcenter.com and there are some that come with external antennas, and some that don't.  Does it matter either way?

1 minute ago, dave4shmups said:

So I'm browsing wireless routers on microcenter.com and there are some that come with external antennas, and some that don't.  Does it matter either way?

external antennas often give better range but that is not always the case depending on the make and model

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

A good rule of thumb is the more it looks like an alien spacecraft or a stealth bomber, the better it is.  For example:

Untitled-1.jpg

Note: This only applies to consumer routers.  The really high end ones that would destroy any of these are actually very simple and sleek looking.

Of course if you really care to get the best for your money and for your needs, you'll individually research each model.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

the difference between a good or bad internal antenna (or a good or bad external for that matter) is much greater than an internal or external antenna, to the point some of the best access points money can pay for have internal antennas.