EVGA 1080 GTX FTW Specs are out!

IcEWoLF

Here are my thoughts 2x8 pin connector and its only 17mhz faster than the SC 1708 / 1847

I expected higher clocks out of the factory.  I mean an SC for all we know could literally beat the FTW version with the card lottery.

It seems like this time around EVGA focused on RBG with the FTW instead of actual performance.

7 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Here are my thoughts 2x8 pin connector and its only 17mhz faster than the SC 1708 / 1847

I expected higher clocks out of the factory.  I mean an SC for all we know could literally beat the FTW version with the card lottery.

It seems like this time around EVGA focused on RBG with the FTW instead of actual performance.

sc is reference pcb,ftw is not and got better power delivery with 10+2 phases(5+1 is reference)
ftw should perform/oc better

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

13 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Factory overclocks are not important lol

12 minutes ago, McHox said:

sc is reference pcb,ftw is not and got better power delivery with 10+2 phases(5+1 is reference)
ftw should perform/oc better

^this. also one of the big selling points on the FTW edition cards has been the dual BIOS for overclocking. it's not like factory overclocks matter anyways

I'm patiently awaiting info about the Classified. I want to know who will be doing a block for it because EK confirmed on EVGA forums that they have not been approached by EVGA to do a hydro copper version meaning it probably will be made in house ?

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

For $680, that is pretty compelling

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

That clock is only 13MHz higher than SC version.

I will be going for SC anway, just because of waterblock compatibility.

But it seems like that additional 8pin doesn't help at OCing this card more. Sure those are stock clocks, but if they could achive higher clock, they would probbably increase those base clocks right?

I guess that has to do something with 1,25V limit and bad scaling over 2000MHz core clock.

I will be just fine with SC version sitting at flat 2000MHz xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

7 hours ago, Simon771 said:

That clock is only 13MHz higher than SC version.

I will be going for SC anway, just because of waterblock compatibility.

But it seems like that additional 8pin doesn't help at OCing this card more. Sure those are stock clocks, but if they could achive higher clock, they would probbably increase those base clocks right?

I guess that has to do something with 1,25V limit and bad scaling over 2000MHz core clock.

I will be just fine with SC version sitting at flat 2000MHz xD 

All about that lottery pick.

8 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

So the Asus ROG Strix 1080 has higher standard clocks at 1759/1898?

I initially thought the FTW might be worth while, but at this rate, the Asus is 1st, FTW 2nd, and Gigabyte G1 is 3rd.

Still waiting to see the clocks on Gigabyte Xtreme, Classified and HOF.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

The Gigabyte Xtreme card has me worried, not sure how the stacked fans gonna work and if its going to be quiet or loud.

The Classified is guaranteed to be north of the $700+ mark, the Hybrid is probably gonna be the same.

I really like the MSI card, the size, the twin Frozr was the best fan last gen and I expect the new Twin Frozr 6 to be as good if not better than the Twin Frozr 5.

40 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

The Gigabyte Xtreme card has me worried, not sure how the stacked fans gonna work and if its going to be quiet or loud.

The Classified is guaranteed to be north of the $700+ mark, the Hybrid is probably gonna be the same.

I really like the MSI card, the size, the twin Frozr was the best fan last gen and I expect the new Twin Frozr 6 to be as good if not better than the Twin Frozr 5.

The hybrid and xtreme gaming waterforce editions still have no indication if they will be reference or custom PCB's as models shown seem to be reference models so far (unless just example samples).

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

But the one thing you have to remember is that Evga beats them all when it comes down to the warranty for us water coolers. I don't see Msi, Asus, Gigabyte, or  the rest letting us remove the cooler slap a block on it and then return it if something ends up going wrong.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

43 minutes ago, shawn finkenstead said:

But the one thing you have to remember is that Evga beats them all when it comes down to the warranty for us water coolers. I don't see Msi, Asus, Gigabyte, or  the rest letting us remove the cooler slap a block on it and then return it if something ends up going wrong.

True, but not everybody is interested in OC'ing to that extent and want to just buy a factory OC'd card that can work well day 1.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

This thread hurts a little. Factory OC is meaningless - they need to ensure stability in all environments so the clocks will always be conservative. However, once you have the 10+2 power phases of a nice 1080 at home in your chilly room you'll be able to see what the differences are as the nicer card lets you push those sliders further to the right.

1 hour ago, ch0g0nda said:

the 10+2 power phases of a nice 1080 at home in your chilly room you'll be able to see what the differences are as the nicer card lets you push those sliders further to the right.

In theory...

4 hours ago, GidonsClaw said:

The hybrid and xtreme gaming waterforce editions still have no indication if they will be reference or custom PCB's as models shown seem to be reference models so far (unless just example samples).

Extreme gaming is the one using custom pcb( gtx 1080 roundup videos on youtube) 

G1 gaming now uses reference pcb sadly.

Evga's hybrid uses the ftw pcb as well. Msi's seahawk doesn't though.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

It's so easy to overclock an Nvidia card beyond it's factory overclock using Precision X or another utility. EVGA could leave the FTW at reference clocks and it wouldn't matter to most of us because we would have it up to 2ghz shortly after running a few benchmarks at the factory clock to set a baseline.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

16 hours ago, Arct1c0n said:

In theory...

I wanna up my post count too...

+1!

17 hours ago, ch0g0nda said:

This thread hurts a little. Factory OC is meaningless - they need to ensure stability in all environments so the clocks will always be conservative. However, once you have the 10+2 power phases of a nice 1080 at home in your chilly room you'll be able to see what the differences are as the nicer card lets you push those sliders further to the right.

Conservative or not, the factory OC is one factor to consider even when you are overclocking. There are of course many other factors that will determine if the card overclocks well but I'm assuming you know those.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

Conservative or not, the factory OC is one factor to consider even when you are overclocking. There are of course many other factors that will determine if the card overclocks well but I'm assuming you know those.

No idea what you're trying to say. Consider the factory OC while overclocking? Why? The factory overclock is no indicator of anything (potential).

3 minutes ago, ch0g0nda said:

No idea what you're trying to say. Consider the factory OC while overclocking? Why? The factory overclock is no indicator of anything (potential).

I was pretty straight forward. The factory OC may or may not give you an idea of how OCing may go. It's one of many factors to consider before buying a card.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

38 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

I was pretty straight forward. The factory OC may or may not give you an idea of how OCing may go. It's one of many factors to consider before buying a card.

I also see it that way, if the factory was able to get fairly higher clocks than the competition, it might be better at getting that little bit more...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

3 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

The factory clock is the same across all cards of that model while maximum clock potential will vary wildly. No, the factory OC isn't an indication of anything. Remember, TSMC makes the cores for everybody's 1080 while, so far at least, all I'm seeing is Micron GDDR5X. Power delivery is the only real difference between the different brands apart from coolers.

You actually don't have to factor too much into buying a 1080 right now since the essential bits are shared between everybody's card. If you want rear-exhaust, go Founders. If you want water you can get a Sea Hawk. etc. Looks like most cards are topping in the 2-2.2GHz range anyway though so it probably just boils down to which one looks the best in your case.