palito

Jumped on PC gaming last week.  I bought the following PC from my neighbor:

Antec 300

500 watt bronze psu

16gb ddr3

240gb ssd

1tb hd

Win 8.1

All for $300.  I'm using on board video for now.  GTA5 runs at 35fps on low settings.  LOL!

I'm spending no more than $250 tops on a gpu.  I have my eyes on a GTX 970 for $240 brand new at a local store.

The 1070 is too much money for me.  I do hope the 1060 gets released soon and falls in my budget.  The wait is killing me.

Is the 970 a good deal for $240?  Please, do NOT suggest AMD.  Just don't.

3 minutes ago, palito said:

Antec 300

500 watt bronze psu

16gb ddr3

240gb ssd

1tb hd

Win 8.1

All for $300.  I'm using on board video for now.  GTA5 runs at 35fps on low settings.  LOL!

I'm spending no more than $250 tops on a gpu.  I have my eyes on a GTX 970 for $240 brand new at a local store.

The 1070 is too much money for me.  I do hope the 1060 gets released soon and falls in my budget.  The wait is killing me.

I'm an nvidia fanboy, but sadly for that much money wait for the AMD RX480. It is faster than a 980 for $200....

Alternatively yes 970 or perhaps a 1070 depending on those prices.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

4 minutes ago, palito said:

Please, do NOT suggest AMD.  Just don't.

new to PC gaming and already an Nvidia fanboy

the new 480 for $200 is probably your best bet until we see the 1060 specs/pricing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, palito said:

I've also seen that it can use just about all of its vram and not tank as many people allege.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPaTsDl_Lk

That problem was fixed after the fact, using drivers. The fact still remains that it was an underhanded tactic to begin with.

6 minutes ago, palito said:

Antec 300

500 watt bronze psu

16gb ddr3

240gb ssd

1tb hd

Win 8.1

At your budget, your best price to performance ratio is going to be the RX480, hands down. If you want to hold to being a fanboy that badly while shooting yourself in the foot, then that's an "okay" deal for the 970 at the current time. Personally though, that extra $40 can buy you a new game with the 480.

Lmao. Good luck in pc gaming.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Fanboying over a brand is stupid when you are talking tech. Wait for AMD's RX 480 which might perform the same as a 980 and will be MUCH better value for your money than the 970. It will cost 199.99 and be released June 29th. 

Edited by Matias_Chambers

20 minutes ago, palito said:

Please, do NOT suggest AMD.  Just don't.

Please, do NOT be a fanboy.

Just don't.

AMD performs better than nvidia at this pricepoint, and their r9 480 for $200 will be the better value once it's released. If you insist on being a fanboy, i suggest you don't even bother commenting here; everyone's just gonna recommend you a AMD gpu.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

It's not gpu fanboyism as many here have already displayed.

I have a personal grudge with AMD as a whole a few years ago.  I'd rather not give them a dime of my money.

2 minutes ago, palito said:

I have a personal grudge with AMD as a whole a few years ago.  I'd rather not give them a dime of my money.

Any relation to zMuel?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

8 minutes ago, palito said:

Honestly, that's such a petty reason - unless they did something REALLY unforgivable, one bad experience doesn't determine a company. Essentially, you'd be happy to sacrifice more performance for your money just to fulfil this grudge of yours?

Anyway, wait for the RX 480 and its benchmarks. Or get the GTX 970 like you initially planned if you're that deadset on not getting AMD - it's not my money anyway.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, palito said:

I'm running an Intel/Nvidia system. Two actually. My suggestion has to do with the best use case for your money. I included my opinion about the 970 in my post as well.

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Honestly, that's such a petty reason - unless they did something REALLY unforgivable, one bad experience doesn't determine a company. Essentially, you'd be happy to sacrifice more performance for your money just to fulfil this grudge of yours?

Anyway, wait for the RX 480. Or get the GTX 970 like you initially planned if you're that deadset - it's not my money anyway.

Also, it's fairly likely that whatever problem you had with your last AMD GPU was the fault of the board partner company, not AMD itself. You should make sure you're placing your blames correctly, if you're going to hold a grudge. Most of the people here are either open about their company bias or not biased, and you may find yourself at a loss if you don't have solid reasoning.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but since the GP-106 GPU was recently spotted in the wild I think that NVIDIA is gonna rush a 1060/1060 ti out soon to combat the hype around RX 480 so that AMD doesn't dominate the entry level GPU market.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

9 minutes ago, palito said:

Even though the RX 480 will perform better than a 970 (Performs about the same level as a Fury/980) for $199~?

Also, if that grudge is because of a CPU, then you were wrong to buy an AMD CPU in the first place.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

38 minutes ago, palito said:

How do you have a grudge against them if you just joined pc gaming? 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

23 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

How do you have a grudge against them if you just joined pc gaming? 

There are other uses for computers besides gaming.

51 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Also, if that grudge is because of a CPU, then you were wrong to buy an AMD CPU in the first place.

A family member was a former employee of AMD.  He got screwed over.  No, he wasn't reporting to work drunk.  His job was sent overseas to keep their stock holders happy.

1 minute ago, palito said:

A family member was a former employee of AMD.  He got screwed over.  No, he wasn't reporting to work drunk.  His job was sent overseas to keep their stock holders happy.

LOL. Then why are you buying from Nvidia? Or any company?

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

LOL. Then why are you buying from Nvidia? Or any company?

Lesser of two evils.

31 minutes ago, palito said:

Lesser of two evils.

It would be nuts to buy a Maxwell card today. Nvidia doesn't give a shit about optimizing their drivers for old architectures. I have seen lots of GTX 780 and GTX 780 Ti owners pissed about how their performance has fallen off while AMD's R9 290 and R9 290x are still getting better and better with new drivers. Also Maxwell dies in DX12, look at how the GTX 970 performs vs the R9 390 in Hitman or Quantum Break. The time to get an Nvidia card is when they launch, not almost two years later when they're out of production and the driver team is focusing on a new architecture. They'll probably also wait for a few months with 1060 just like they did with 960 because they wanted people to pay for 970s.

42 minutes ago, palito said:

Then save up for a 1070. Nothing below it makes any sense until 1060 launches, and maybe they'll put out a crap 1060 like they did a crap 960 to keep from cannibalizing sales of their 70 series card.

22 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It would be nuts to buy a Maxwell card today. Nvidia doesn't give a shit about optimizing their drivers for old architectures. I have seen lots of GTX 780 and GTX 780 Ti owners pissed about how their performance has fallen off while AMD's R9 290 and R9 290x are still getting better and better with new drivers. Also Maxwell dies in DX12, look at how the GTX 970 performs vs the R9 390 in Hitman or Quantum Break. The time to get an Nvidia card is when they launch, not almost two years later when they're out of production and the driver team is focusing on a new architecture. They'll probably also wait for a few months with 1060 just like they did with 960 because they wanted people to pay for 970s.

Hitman and Quantum Break are AMD optimized titles.  No surprise there.  It happens on camp Nvidia too, where games optimized for it performs worse on AMD.

Not to mention the 390 costs about $90 more.  $90 for 5% better performance and having to buy a beefy PSU... I'll pass.

As for DX12, it's not a concern to me.  It's still an API that has a lot of maturing to do and current games that support it run better on DX11.  I would say DX12 would actually matter around 2019.  I'm being realistic since people thought it was the end of DX10 when 11 came along.  Heck, D10 is still quite capable.

Given the amount of money I'm willing to spend, I'm not looking to invest on something that's 3-4 years from now on a device that has a lifespan (gpu) of about 2-3 years.

19 minutes ago, palito said:

Hitman and Quantum Break are AMD optimized titles.  No surprise there.  It happens on camp Nvidia too, where games optimized for it performs worse on AMD.

As for DX12, it's not a concern to me.  It's still an API that has a lot of maturing to do and current games that support it run better on DX11.  I would say DX12 would actually matter around 2019.  I'm being realistic since people thought it was the end of DX10 when 11 came along.  Heck, D10 is still quite capable.

Given the amount of money I'm willing to spend, I'm not looking to invest on something that's 3-4 years from now on a device that has a lifespan (gpu) of about 2-3 years.

DX12 is a much bigger deal than any of it's other iterations and has been sorely needed for quite some time. Most games coming out from now on will be either DX12 or Vulkan so it only makes sense to buy DX12 hardware.

If you really want to buy the 970 just to spite AMD, that's up to you and you'd be shooting yourself in the foot for one sale AMD won't lose any sleep over. Again, having brand loyalty or holding a grudge over something that every single business does is going to hurt you more than anything and really makes no sense whatsoever. Plus you said it yourself, why invest in outdated hardware if you plan to hold onto it for 3-4 years?

Have you heard of the recent Intel layoffs? So what CPU are you going to buy instead?

http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2016/05/intel_warns_employees_take_the.html

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, palito said:

What.

That has to be the silliest reason to hate on a company, when basically you only have 2 companies to choose from when it comes to GPUs...

In that case, if you knew you already hated AMD in the first place, why come here and ask if the nvidia card in your price budget is OK, if you wouldn't take no for an answer?

Maybe console gaming is better for you.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR