Need help with fans in this case

iM8Pizza
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
2 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

Is an intel stock cooler a PWM fan(I'm still using the stock cooler, yeah...not good)

I doubt the front could fit something more than 120mm without modding (which I don't I'd do with this case...not really worth to mod this thing), and which one of those 2 you think more suitable for this scenario? It will not be fully blocked although with all 3 HDD installed, only half of it

Yes, it's pwm. PWM fans use 4pins as opposed to 2 or 3 pins. 

If you're putting the drive below the other two and the top half of the fan isn't obstructed, go with the NF-S12A. I thought you that the drive was going to be above the current two earlier.

Hello guys, the title says it..

So I have this "look shit, but it is what I need" case http://www.dazumba.com/mobile/index.php?p=catalog&action=viewimages&pid=152&cat_id=59

The fans are... noisy.

So, I've been looking "around" and I've concluded to get a Noctua fan, But I don't really know which Noctua fan I should get for the front intake 

And I'd like to get a PWM one but I don't really know if my motherboard has a 4-pin PWM header (ASUS B75M-A) or whether it will give an advantage compared to the non PWM ones

IF I ended up getting the PWM one I'd like to be able to control it from the front of the case like the one in the second picture, But I'd like to know which one is better (haven't come up with "possibly buying one of this" list yet, so yeah..) and I need it to be 5.25" not 2x5.25" like the one that NZXT has.

20160606_124904.jpg

zm-mfc1-combo-large.jpg

noctua NFF12 the standard editon will do fine but if you have the money and want more airflow when required go for the industrial editions 2000RPM(I have these they are great). For speed control plug it into the motherboard and use speed fan to control it to save some money tutorial below. You many need a fan extension as the both fan headers are near the CPU

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

yeah there is  4pin fan header next to the cmos battery below the cpu sockett 

buying the noctua fan should be ideal as they do come with the extra fan cables to add some extra length to reach the front fan , and a spliter to add extra fans if your already running a fan of that header 

look into the deepcool fan hub that might be useful if you able to pick on up where your from

http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml

6 minutes ago, TassieTim said:

yeah there is  4pin fan header next to the cmos battery below the cpu sockett 

buying the noctua fan should be ideal as they do come with the extra fan cables to add some extra length to reach the front fan , and a spliter to add extra fans if your already running a fan of that header 

look into the deepcool fan hub that might be useful if you able to pick on up where your from

http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml

That's cool, how do I control the fans? From software?

25 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

noctua NFF12 the standard editon will do fine but if you have the money and want more airflow when required go for the industrial editions 2000RPM(I have these they are great). For speed control plug it into the motherboard and use speed fan to control it to save some money tutorial below. You many need a fan extension as the both fan headers are near the CPU

NF-P12: The NF-P12 has been designed with more pressure demanding “high impedance” applications in mind. It provides an even balance of high static pressure, high airflow and excellent quietness, which has made it a standard choice for low noise CPU cooling, cases with tight fan grills and other low noise cooling applications with mid- to high airflow resistance.

NF-F12: The NF-F12’s unique Focused Flow™ system produces extremely high static pressure and focuses the airflow in order to achieve even better results on air cooling heatsinks and water cooling radiators. With a top speed of 1500rpm, it also offers more performance headroom for less noise-sensitive applications. Choose the NF-F12 if you’re looking for the best possible performance on heatsinks and radiators.

So.... which one I should get? The fans is only half blocked....

NF-P12: The NF-P12 has been designed with more pressure demanding “high impedance” applications in mind. It provides an even balance of high static pressure, high airflow and excellent quietness, which has made it a standard choice for low noise CPU cooling, cases with tight fan grills and other low noise cooling applications with mid- to high airflow resistance.

NF-F12: The NF-F12’s unique Focused Flow™ system produces extremely high static pressure and focuses the airflow in order to achieve even better results on air cooling heatsinks and water cooling radiators. With a top speed of 1500rpm, it also offers more performance headroom for less noise-sensitive applications. Choose the NF-F12 if you’re looking for the best possible performance on heatsinks and radiators.

Just go NFF12 you be the best of both air flow and static pressure to deal with any impedance and keep things cool 

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

2 hours ago, astrosheen said:

Just go NFF12 you be the best of both air flow and static pressure to deal with any impedance and keep things cool 

but it's only half blocked.... '-'

noctua_120mm_fans_comparison.jpg

still NFF12 cause there is restrictions from the front grill and a dust filter if there is one (hard to tell from photos on website) 

2 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

still NFF12 cause there is restrictions from the front grill and a dust filter if there is one (hard to tell from photos on website) 

But i'll be using it as an intake, will it matter if it has a front grill and a dust filter in front? (it has a grill and a dust filter)

3 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

and which one will affect more on the cooling and airflow? the side fan or the front fan(both are as intake currently)?

11 hours ago, astrosheen said:

noctua NFF12 the standard editon will do fine but if you have the money and want more airflow when required go for the industrial editions 2000RPM(I have these they are great).

iPPC Noctuas are loud and the normal versions are better for general usage. 

11 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

That's cool, how do I control the fans? From software?

You should be able to control the fans connected to the motherboard through the motherboard's settings. 

If you want to use pwm fans which will gives the best granularity and largest range for control, I'd recommend getting a pwm fan splitter to power the fans off of the cpu_fan header which provides the mode reliable pwm signal.

11 hours ago, iM8Pizza said:

A NF-S12A would be better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

iPPC Noctuas are loud and the normal versions are better for general usage. 

You should be able to control the fans connected to the motherboard through the motherboard's settings. 

If you want to use pwm fans which will gives the best granularity and largest range for control, I'd recommend getting a pwm fan splitter to power the fans off of the cpu_fan header which provides the mode reliable pwm signal.

A NF-S12A would be better.

Okay, will opt for the normal then

so... by motherboard's settings you mean like the BIOS?.

http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml is PWN fan splitter something like that <?, and... does my motherboard actually have a PWM fan header? (ASUS B75M-A)

why so? isn't it more airflow opted?

43 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

so... by motherboard's settings you mean like the BIOS?.

http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml is PWN fan splitter something like that <?, and... does my motherboard actually have a PWM fan header? (ASUS B75M-A)

why so? isn't it more airflow opted?

Yeah, the BIOS. 

Yep, that's a pwm fan splitter. They can also come in a mess of cables like this which is what I use: http://www.evercool.com.tw/categories/global/cables/fancablesadapters/ec-df001/ec_df001.php

The motherboard has 2 fan headers, both of which are pwm. I recommend using the cpu_fan header since it is usually the most reliable for the best pwm signal.

Yes, the NF-S12A is optimized for more open airflow and is quieter. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yeah, the BIOS. 

Yep, that's a pwm fan splitter. They can also come in a mess of cables like this which is what I use: http://www.evercool.com.tw/categories/global/cables/fancablesadapters/ec-df001/ec_df001.php

The motherboard has 2 fan headers, both of which are pwm. I recommend using the cpu_fan header since it is usually the most reliable for the best pwm signal.

Yes, the NF-F12A is optimized for more open airflow and is quieter. 

where exactly is the CPU Fan Header?

so... that's a typo right? what you mean is NF-S12A right?, but there are 3 HDD in front of it blocking

19 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

where exactly is the CPU Fan Header?

so... that's a typo right? what you mean is NF-S12A right?, but there are 3 HDD in front of it blocking

It's at the top of your motherboard. It's labeled CPU_fan. 

23c33603e141545055ef8a62778f6dbb.png

Yes, that was a typo.

3 drives? I only see two in the photo.

33 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's at the top of your motherboard. It's labeled CPU_fan. 

23c33603e141545055ef8a62778f6dbb.png

Yes, that was a typo.

3 drives? I only see two in the photo.

so the CPU Cooler will be connecting to the fan splitter, right?

will be adding one more soon

15 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

so the CPU Cooler will be connecting to the fan splitter, right?

will be adding one more soon

Plug any pwm fans you're using into the fan splitter going into the cpu_fan header.

Ah. If the fan is going to be completely blocked, a NF-P12 or NF-F12 would be better. It might be worth checking if there's extra space around the fan mount area as well to see if you could fit a round frame fan like a NF-P14 or NF-A15. 

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Plug any pwm fans you're using into the fan splitter going into the cpu_fan header.

Ah. If the fan is going to be completely blocked, a NF-P12 or NF-F12 would be better. It might be worth checking if there's extra space around the fan mount area as well to see if you could fit a round frame fan like a NF-P14 or NF-A15. 

Is an intel stock cooler a PWM fan(I'm still using the stock cooler, yeah...not good)

I doubt the front could fit something more than 120mm without modding (which I don't I'd do with this case...not really worth to mod this thing), and which one of those 2 you think more suitable for this scenario? It will not be fully blocked although with all 3 HDD installed, only half of it

If you're putting the drive below the other two and the top half of the fan isn't obstructed, go with the NF-S12A. I thought you that the drive was going to be above the current two earlier.

On June 6, 2016 at 3:54 AM, iM8Pizza said:

Hello guys, the title says it..

So I have this "look shit, but it is what I need" case http://www.dazumba.com/mobile/index.php?p=catalog&action=viewimages&pid=152&cat_id=59

The fans are... noisy.

So, I've been looking "around" and I've concluded to get a Noctua fan, But I don't really know which Noctua fan I should get for the front intake 

And I'd like to get a PWM one but I don't really know if my motherboard has a 4-pin PWM header (ASUS B75M-A) or whether it will give an advantage compared to the non PWM ones

IF I ended up getting the PWM one I'd like to be able to control it from the front of the case like the one in the second picture, But I'd like to know which one is better (haven't come up with "possibly buying one of this" list yet, so yeah..) and I need it to be 5.25" not 2x5.25" like the one that NZXT has.

20160606_124904.jpg

zm-mfc1-combo-large.jpg

If you want a simple and really nice way to balance noise vs. airflow I suggest you get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGYLNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got this sentry 3 recently and I'm loving it.  It can control up to 5 fans (They don't need to be pwm yay!) and adjust their speed between 40-100% in 10% increments.  You can turn off selected fans if you want and even link multiple fans together to control some or all connected fans at the same time.  You can turn the screen off if you don't want it on when not in use btw.  It's so nice being able to find tune the fans so they aren't so loud yet still move enough air through my case.

On 6/8/2016 at 3:42 AM, WoodenMarker said:

alright then, NF-S12A it is

btw, what do you think having an AF120 as outtake compared if I use NF-F12, is the difference significant? I want to use the AF120 because I want their RGB version which....well... looks cool, but if the difference is big then of course I'll go with the better option

14 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

If you want a simple and really nice way to balance noise vs. airflow I suggest you get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGYLNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got this sentry 3 recently and I'm loving it.  It can control up to 5 fans (They don't need to be pwm yay!) and adjust their speed between 40-100% in 10% increments.  You can turn off selected fans if you want and even link multiple fans together to control some or all connected fans at the same time.  You can turn the screen off if you don't want it on when not in use btw.  It's so nice being able to find tune the fans so they aren't so loud yet still move enough air through my case.

Yes,, that's what I've been looking for, but well... I've found cheaper alternative now so yeah, gonna go with the other one rather than this

12 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

alright then, NF-S12A it is

btw, what do you think having an AF120 as outtake compared if I use NF-F12, is the difference significant? I want to use the AF120 because I want their RGB version which....well... looks cool, but if the difference is big then of course I'll go with the better option

ML Pro Corsair fans aren't out yet and it's hard to tell how good or bad they may be. Their original Quiet Editions were good fans but the LED versions were significantly worse.

Why would you use a NF-F12 for exhaust?

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

ML Pro Corsair fans aren't out yet and it's hard to tell how good or bad they may be. Their original Quiet Editions were good fans but the LED versions were significantly worse.

Why would you use a NF-F12 for exhaust?

oh wait right, I mean the NF-S12A ( I was mistaking the F as flow like what corsair did with their fans xD)

oh well ok, wait for the reviews then

12 minutes ago, iM8Pizza said:

oh wait right, I mean the NF-S12A ( I was mistaking the F as flow like what corsair did with their fans xD)

oh well ok, wait for the reviews then

Yeah, a NF-S12A for exhaust would likely be the best option available that isn't a larger fan with 120mm mounting holes..