What is this build like?

ryyo96

Hi everyone. 

My little brother is wanting a gaming PC so I've made a parts list up of what I think is a good PC for his standards. 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YN3rxY

What do you guys think? What would you change to make it better? He will want to

play games like Grand Theft Auto 5, Fallout 4 and other graphic intensive games at or close to their max settings

Any help is appreciated,

thank you. 

It seems like an okay build, but what I would suggest changing is that power supply. It's good to invest in a good power supply since you'll be using it in it's entirety for the whole time you'll be using the system, plus in the future you might not have to buy another power supply when you upgrade all your parts. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Make the switch to Skylake - a i5 6600K, a Z170 motherboard and DDR4 RAM should not cost much more (if at all).

PSU is pretty bleh, grab a XFX TS 550W for a bit more.

It'd be incredibly bad timing to get a GTX 970 now. Wait for AMD's RX 480 (and its benchmarks) - it'll boast a much better price/performance (hopefully).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

It's crap you should of ordered a gold plated RAM cooler ffs... why does nobody listen...

jk. It's okay, but follow HKZeroFive's advise above, it's spot on.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

28 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Make the switch to Skylake - a i5 6600K, a Z170 motherboard and DDR4 RAM should not cost much more (if at all).

PSU is pretty bleh, grab a XFX TS 550W for a bit more.

It'd be incredibly bad timing to get a GTX 970 now. Wait for AMD's RX 480 (and its benchmarks) - it'll boast a much better price/performance (hopefully).

What would be a good make/brand of the Z170 motherboard, Asrock?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QymbtJ

How does this look now? 

7 minutes ago, ryyo96 said:

What would be a good make/brand of the Z170 motherboard, Asrock?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QymbtJ

How does this look now? 

Can't overclock that CPU - so the Z170 becomes pointless. Also, why a Mini-ITX board? You're limiting your features there - and it won't look nice.

I'm thinking more like this. Use the money saved on the RX 480 to improve other areas of the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£194.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£22.38 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£111.50 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£52.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£69.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.33 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£69.47 @ CCL Computers) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 
Other: Radeon RX 480 (£190.00)
Total: £803.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-05 15:25 BST+0100

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

25 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Can't overclock that CPU - so the Z170 becomes pointless. Also, why a Mini-ITX board? You're limiting your features there - and it won't look nice.

I'm thinking more like this. Use the money saved on the RX 480 to improve other areas of the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£194.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£22.38 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£111.50 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£52.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£69.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.33 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£69.47 @ CCL Computers) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 
Other: Radeon RX 480 (£190.00)
Total: £803.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-05 15:25 BST+0100

Didn't realise that the motherboard was a mini one. 

I usually prefer to go for Nvidia over AMD because I know the specs of those cards better than the AMD. Is there a site that you know of where I can see the performance of the 480 compared to other cards?

3 minutes ago, ryyo96 said:

Didn't realise that the motherboard was a mini one. 

I usually prefer to go for Nvidia over AMD because I know the specs of those cards better than the AMD. Is there a site that you know of where I can see the performance of the 480 compared to other cards?

At the moment, no. Benchmarks will appear on the 29th.

Current rumours put it at GTX 980 performance. But that's meaningless when we don't have rock-solid evidence of that. I'd advise you to wait before purchasing.

Spoiler

Is the CPU going to be overclocked? If not, I would get something like an i5 6500. I would not get the GTX 970. The RX 480 from AMD will perform better for only 199.99 (Hopefully) Also the PSU is not that great.

9 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Is the CPU going to be overclocked? If not, I would get something like an i5 6500. I would not get the GTX 970. The RX 480 from AMD will perform better for only 199.99 (Hopefully) Also the PSU is not that great.

Probs not going to OC the CPU, will just run it stock.

What power supply would you recommend?

11 minutes ago, ryyo96 said:

Probs not going to OC the CPU, will just run it stock.

What power supply would you recommend?

I posted a full build

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

At the moment, no. Benchmarks will appear on the 29th.

Current rumours put it at GTX 980 performance. But that's meaningless when we don't have rock-solid evidence of that. I'd advise you to wait before purchasing.

1 hour ago, Matias_Chambers said:

I posted a full build

Thanks for your help guys, will make

adjustments and show my brother. How quiet do you think this machine will run?

16 minutes ago, ryyo96 said:

Thanks for your help guys, will make

adjustments and show my brother. How quiet do you think this machine will run?

Hard to say, does it have to be quiet? It definitely wont be annoyingly loud.   

That, for your little brother, is a really solid first build. All the parts are reliable and will play more or less any game at least 1080p mid-settings with 60fps. Only thing I would suggest upgrading is the power supply. Apart from that I wish you well with the build.

Back onto the power supply, I would say that you should upgrade to something a little bit more steady. If you need any help choosing, leave me a budget and I can sort you out!