Not a Fan of Re-Installing Everything

justintech16
Go to solution Solved by Scia,

Windows will want to be reactivated.

You'll run into some issues with drivers you'll have to sweep / replace and the likes.

There might be other problems.

Honestly, reinstalling the OS is much less of a nuisance and much more reliable ^^

Hello. I am thinking about getting a new computer. I am going from a Yorkfield processor to Haswell. My question/dilemma is will I have to re-install my operating system? What would happen if I just built the computer and tried to boot off of my current hard drive? I really don't want to re-install all of my programs and move all of my data. Are there benefits/disadvantages to doing so?

Thanks.

Whats your current OS? I am pretty sure the OS is tied to the motherboard if its oem software. Yes if you do a new build you will need a new os and will have to re install all the drivers. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Windows will want to be reactivated.

You'll run into some issues with drivers you'll have to sweep / replace and the likes.

There might be other problems.

Honestly, reinstalling the OS is much less of a nuisance and much more reliable ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Darn......Ok. Thanks everyone. I wasn't wanting to re-install again, but oh well....