Buying a GPU for liquid cooling

When looking to purchase a GPU with the intent of liquid cooling it, is there any point for buying anything more fancy than the reference version?

Would the higher TDP of some of the third-party designs translate into a higher maximum boost-clock, or is it all moot when not using the stock cooler?

Thanks for your thoughts, I've been wondering this for a while now.

2 minutes ago, SamuelWN said:

When looking to purchase a GPU with the intent of liquid cooling it, is there any point for buying anything more fancy than the reference version?

Would the higher TDP of some of the third-party designs translate into a higher maximum boost-clock, or is it all moot when not using the stock cooler?

Thanks for your thoughts, I've been wondering this for a while now.

If your talking about the 1080, cards with, for example, a 8pin+6pin would be better than the reference that has just the 8pin

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

well, it all depends how far you're gonna push the card, but in theory it'd be better to have more power input and better VRMs. (hence why the extreme LN2 overclockers put those massive vrm boards on the cards)

Alrighty, so essentially just go for the one with the greatest available power-draw and best quality VRMs. Anything else to look for?

first see if a water block will be made for it..

usually, the reference will be available.

if not then either a universal GPU block or an AIO kit.