RAM Limitations?

Hello.

I am building a server pc build with a Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and an intel i5 6600K. I also bought 3000MHz RAM. I was researching more about the motherboard and on PCPartPicker it said the memory type was DDR4-2133MHz. Does this mean my 3000MHz ram will only run at 2133MHz?

Thanks

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Your board doesn't support memory speeds faster than 2133. Your 3000 MHz memory will only run at 2133.

As Linus says, shop for aesthetics, not frequency and timings, they matter so little, especially in games.

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

For on the road: MSI GE72 2QC Apache with 16 GiB RAM upgrade.

^

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes. But don't worry, the performance difference between the two in a real world scenario is minimal.

So I won't need to worry about it? I will be running a file server along with a minecraft server with 120mods and 3 Players. 

.... you guys aren't listening, this isn't a gaming PC. this is a SERVER pc. Servers DO scale well (relatively) with increased capacities and speeds. This is pretty much the only time it DOES matter. Now if his server is going to be hosting a minimal level of things, then it probably wont matter that much. if you're hosting only a game or something like that, it wont be huge, but proper and expensive servers can make or break on their RAM capacity and speed.

DDR4 @ 2133 MHz would do well for a minecraft server.

18 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Your board doesn't support memory speeds faster than 2133. Your 3000 MHz memory will only run at 2133.

yes it does support over 2133

go look at the memory support list

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

.... you guys aren't listening, this isn't a gaming PC. this is a SERVER pc. Servers DO scale well (relatively) with increased capacities and speeds. This is pretty much the only time it DOES matter. Now if his server is going to be hosting a minimal level of things, then it probably wont matter that much. if you're hosting only a game or something like that, it wont be huge, but proper and expensive servers can make or break on their RAM capacity and speed.

This will just be a home server running file storage and an minecraft server with 120 mods and 3 players. 

the board is supposed to support 2400 ram. any good at over clocking? maybe you can get more?

8 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

So I won't need to worry about it? I will be running a file server along with a minecraft server with 120mods and 3 Players. 

I've played on Minecraft servers that had up to a half dozen people and a ton of mods at once on worse. And people build file servers on worse.

You're fine.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yes it does support over 2133

go look at the memory support list

Link please?

Besides the ram, you're buying an unlocked cpu with a non overclockable motherboard... if you'll stay at the 6600k you will need a z170 motherboard

3 minutes ago, Zeinone said:

Besides the ram, you're buying an unlocked cpu with a non overclockable motherboard... if you'll stay at the 6600k you will need a z170 motherboard

I am not overclocking so do I need a z170 motherboard? 

1 minute ago, Zeinone said:

you don't "need" it.... but it certainly doesn't make much sense to buy a K series CPU for the extra money it costs and then buy a non Z series motherboard (or in some cases Xseries). good catch.

1 minute ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I am not overclocking so do I need a z170 motherboard? 

then get a 6500 (non 'K')

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

you don't "need" it.... but it certainly doesn't make much sense to buy a K series CPU for the extra money it costs and then buy a non Z series motherboard (or in some cases Xseries). good catch.

Didn't realize this. So just get the regular 6600? 

Except Skylake K processors have a higher base clock than the non K parts, though not by much for the i5 (3.3GHz vs 3.5GHz base clock, both turbo to 3.9GHz).

However, if it's like my regular i7-6700, the non-K i5 may aggressively throttle if you give it a good load.

19 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Link please?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5640#memory support list

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Didn't realize this. So just get the regular 6600? 

Yes the regular 6600 would make more sense than a 6600k if you're not getting Z170

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

it says right at the top "downgrade to 2133". all this list shows you is what they tried in the board and confirmed worked. There are MANY and MOST memory sticks out there that will work in the board flawlessly, even if they don't appear on the list. all that list shows is the models they CONFIRMED worked in their board. For example my Z170-A doesn't list my Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3000MHz (even though its currently in there, working, and can run at 3000MHz stable)

So they may have tried some 2400MHz rated memory in their board, but it wasn't running at 2400 MHZ

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

Yes the regular 6600 would make more sense than a 6600k if you're not getting Z170

it says right at the top "downgrade to 2133". all this list shows you is what they tried in the board and confirmed worked. There are MANY and MOST memory sticks out there that will work in the board flawlessly, even if they don't appear on the list. all that list shows is the models they CONFIRMED worked in their board. For example my Z170-A doesn't list my Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3000MHz (even though its currently in there, working, and can run at 3000MHz stable)

So they may have tried some 2400MHz rated memory in their board, but it wasn't running at 2400 MHZ

I actually may be thinking on overclocking in the future, since I do have a water cooler. Would this motherboard work: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fcqbt6/asrock-motherboard-z170pro4s . Would it also allow me to run my ram at 2933MHz? 

(here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Pro4S/index.us.asp?cat=Specifications)

Well according to their site and spec sheet, it can support various speeds up to 3866MHz. Again, the motherboard may very well be capable of running @ 3000MHz, that's simply @ 2933 is there it has been tested stable (and where they probably have some XMP profiles setup). Your 3000MHz memory might even be able of running higher like at 3200MHz... ALL of the numbers you see posted in overclocking hardware is simply where it is CONFIRMED to work. you can USUALLY still work outside those specifications (a little bit at least) if you're willing to sit down and play with it a bit.

But yes, that motherboard should** be able to run your memory at 2933 and overclock your CPU if you stick with 6600k. I've also read some comments where people are saying its a good entry level Z170 motherboard. Has the things you need without all the fluff of the more expensive motherboards.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

(here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Pro4S/index.us.asp?cat=Specifications)

Well according to their site and spec sheet, it can support various speeds up to 3866MHz. Again, the motherboard may very well be capable of running @ 3000MHz, that's simply @ 2933 is there it has been tested stable (and where they probably have some XMP profiles setup). Your 3000MHz memory might even be able of running higher like at 3200MHz... ALL of the numbers you see posted in overclocking hardware is simply where it is CONFIRMED to work. you can USUALLY still work outside those specifications (a little bit at least) if you're willing to sit down and play with it a bit.

But yes, that motherboard should** be able to run your memory at 2933 and overclock your CPU if you stick with 6600k. I've also read some comments where people are saying its a good entry level Z170 motherboard. Has the things you need without all the fluff of the more expensive motherboard.

Thanks so much. I think I am going to add that motherboard to my build.