Need Help Identifying What This Is

RandomRestore

What is the strange device and what is it used for? I found it in my basement while I was cleaning up yesterday. Thanks for your help. A image is attached.

image.jpeg

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz(OCed to 4.5GHz) Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI A88XM-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 120GB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card
Case: Silverstone TJ09-BW ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

that's a VGA to A/V video converter

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

ahh VGA. kill it with fire!

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

It's a serial input device, probably for a old portable or hand held system of some kind...

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Hi,

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I don't think so, there are two rows not three

My guess it's an old school serial adapter. The blue plug is RS232 (DB-9) serial plug and the 3.5 mm jack is for connecting to a device that has a sound card but no serial port. (Using the audio for serial data is quite common, you can just modulate an audio signal to act as a serial data stream)

5 minutes ago, RandomRestore said:

What is the strange device and what is it used for? I found it in my basement while I was cleaning up yesterday. Thanks for your help. A image is attached.

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

That is not VGA it is a serial connection

This adapter was made to create a serial connection to specific device that uses an audio jack. 

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

1 minute ago, Adraen said:

Hi,

I don't think so, there are two rows not three

My guess it's an old school serial adapter. The blue plug is RS232 (DB-9) serial plug and the 3.5 mm jack is for connecting to a device that has a sound card but no serial port. (Using the audio for serial data is quite common, you can just modulate an audio signal to have a serial data connection)

you're right, it's an even older serial adapter...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

The RS-232 serial cable for a diabetes meter of some sort?  Today they use USB, but in the past, probably serial.

That's definitely a DB-9 port.  And not VGA.

Just now, VulcanAndroid said:

That is not VGA it is a serial connection

This adapter was made to create a serial connection to specific device that uses an audio jack. 

the other side may be a connector they used to exchange data on high-end texas instruments calculators. i have one of those too but i cant seem to find it

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

4 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

the other side may be a connector they used to exchange data on high-end texas instruments calculators. i have one of those too but i cant seem to find it

You might be right on that. I know the TI graphing calculators do have a data port that is the audio jack style (apologies since I do not know the technical term for this jack).

I have seen similar connectors used for APC UPS management cards.

But simply put. It is a serial data connector cable. Going from DB-9 to audio jack style connector. 

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

3 minutes ago, VulcanAndroid said:

found it. looks like this:

if its not this than it probably an audio connection. could be used to connect a geiger counter to a speaker for example.

IMG_20160603_164816.jpg

Alright, thanks for your help guys. My guess is that I won't be needing it, so I'll be storing it back into my basement.

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz(OCed to 4.5GHz) Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI A88XM-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 120GB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card
Case: Silverstone TJ09-BW ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply