Is the founders edition worth it?

Hi All,

I will be on the hunt for the GTX 1070 when it comes out. And I've noticed that till now, only the founders edition GTX 1080 was being sold until the stock ran out. That got me to think, what if I'd have to wait 2 months or maybe more to get a non founders edition card.

Personally, I don't want to pay the extra money because I'll be paying for import and shipping fees already would be around (70-90$). But I am just wondering, if the founders edition worth the extra money, maybe they are using different type of hardware that costs the extra money or have better warranty and support. Because if so, the founders edition maybe a good option if there is a feasible benefit to justify the extra money.

My way of life: "Think differently, act modestly."

Internet dweller love to write and read about almost everything.

I like to be part of productive and positive communities. 

Nope 100% the same hardware Nvidia said that, they take that premium and make the card because the reference models usually isn't available 3-4 months after launch

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Pretty sure they just put a couple angles on the reference design and charged more because polygons.

I'd say wait for 3rd party for better cooling and overclocking and all that good stuff

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Just now, N.E.A said:

there is a reason why its called fanboy edition!

it has heat problems and the power design is worse than what other companies do. also the power delivery is highly limited by nvidia.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Definitely wait for the aftermarket stuff. it will preform much better, stay much cooler, and allow for higher overclocks if you wanted to go that route. Not to mention you could get all of that and still probably come out cheaper than a "founders edition".

Well are the custom made GTX 1070 will be available on 10th of June?

I guess probably not otherwise no one will buy the founders edition. Am I right?

My way of life: "Think differently, act modestly."

Internet dweller love to write and read about almost everything.

I like to be part of productive and positive communities. 

Best to wait.

Thermal throttles and the power delivery is limited by NVIDIA themselves.

Wait a little bit and grab yourself a beautiful MSI GAMING X model ;)

2 minutes ago, N.E.A said:

Well are the custom made GTX 1070 will be available on 10th of June?

I guess probably not otherwise no one will buy the founders edition. Am I right?

No, same principle as the GTX 1080. NVIDIA sells their fanboy edition first and then the AIB models are released after.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The release should be closer together this time though, the 1070 is going to sell out anyway on day 1 like the 1080 did. they could release AIB models 6 hours after they release 1070 models and the 1070 founder's would already be sold out haha. And since there is no real reason to wait to release anything (like there was due to computex) then it should be relatively quick for the board partners to get out at least their basic models of the 1070

21 minutes ago, N.E.A said:

Hi All,

I will be on the hunt for the GTX 1070 when it comes out. And I've noticed that till now, only the founders edition GTX 1080 was being sold until the stock ran out. That got me to think, what if I'd have to wait 2 months or maybe more to get a non founders edition card.

Personally, I don't want to pay the extra money because I'll be paying for import and shipping fees already would be around (70-90$). But I am just wondering, if the founders edition worth the extra money, maybe they are using different type of hardware that costs the extra money or have better warranty and support. Because if so, the founders edition maybe a good option if there is a feasible benefit to justify the extra money.

just get non-reference cards that have better cooling and overclocks and higher clock speeds

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

For founders edition you are paying more just because it's avaliable sooner.

Also something about cost for that cooler.

But mostly because it's avaliable sooner.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB