i7 6700k or i5 6600k

Go to solution Solved by Goat,

The i5 is for gaming and the i7 is for video editing. In your case, go with the i5. Its not as good as the i7 when it comes to editing due to the i7 having hyper threading technology, but has about equal performance as the i7 when it comes to gaming, as most games only require 4 threads. Don't worry about editing, as the i5 can still handle some editing and you can get better performance if you overclock it.

Games are more GPU intensive rather than CPU intensive. If you have an i7 but run the game using integrated graphics or a graphics card that is not powerful enough to run games, you will get low fps, making the game laggy and unplayable as the card is not powerful enough.

I recommend to wait a little longer for the RX 480 to release, which is an affordable gaming GPU.

Hey guys so I'm planning on building a new rig and I have a limited budget. I was wondering if i should get an i7 6700k build with integrated graphics or cut of some parts and go with the i5 with a GTX 960?

Please be nice to me it's my first time building a rig and first time to post in a forum.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, elz33 said:

Hey guys so I'm planning on building a new rig and I have a limited budget. I was wondering if i should get an i7 6700k build with integrated graphics or cut of some parts and go with the i5 with a GTX 960?

Please be nice to me it's my first time building a rig and first time to post in a forum.

Thanks in advance.

if your gaming you only need an I5 also don't get gtx 960 wait for rx 480 . The only reason you would want the I7 is for hyperthreading

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

What do you intend to do with the system? Budget?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If you're only doing gaming and maybe light video editing I would go with the i5 as it gives you more money to spend on a better GPU. 

Here's the build I'm planning if you want to look at it. It's using a standard i5 6600 not the K series one.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bbcHf7

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

I'm thinking of using it for gaming and video editing. My budget is around 900USD.

5 minutes ago, crysilis said:

if your gaming you only need an I5 also don't get gtx 960 wait for rx 480 . The only reason you would want the I7 is for hyperthreading

I'm thinking of using it for gaming and video editing. My budget is around 900USD. I could actually live with the integrated graphics for a while and earn money for a graphics card.

9 minutes ago, Joegeddon said:

If you're only doing gaming and maybe light video editing I would go with the i5 as it gives you more money to spend on a better GPU. 

Here's the build I'm planning if you want to look at it. It's using a standard i5 6600 not the K series one.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bbcHf7

What if I'm planning on upgrading it on the future, perhaps getting a gtx 1070. Should I go with the i7 6700k?

4 minutes ago, elz33 said:

What if I'm planning on upgrading it on the future, perhaps getting a gtx 1070. Should I go with the i7 6700k?

I don't think you really need the i7.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

4 minutes ago, elz33 said:

If you can survive without a gpu for a while go with the i7.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

The i5 is for gaming and the i7 is for video editing. In your case, go with the i5. Its not as good as the i7 when it comes to editing due to the i7 having hyper threading technology, but has about equal performance as the i7 when it comes to gaming, as most games only require 4 threads. Don't worry about editing, as the i5 can still handle some editing and you can get better performance if you overclock it.

Games are more GPU intensive rather than CPU intensive. If you have an i7 but run the game using integrated graphics or a graphics card that is not powerful enough to run games, you will get low fps, making the game laggy and unplayable as the card is not powerful enough.

I recommend to wait a little longer for the RX 480 to release, which is an affordable gaming GPU.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5