Spilled drink mix-infused water on gpu, what do?

dima_

Title. Only a little bit got on. I don't think anything else is affected and the rest of the system works fine. Fell in through the top straight down. It's sticky tho. I left it in front of a fan to cool off. What do I do?? 

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

clean it off with water or isopropyl alcachol and let it dry out

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

11 minutes ago, DXMember said:

What about the crap that could have gotten under the chips on the board?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

12 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I just cleaned it off with ispropyl and I'm letting it dry now. Hoping it's alive.

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

14 minutes ago, dima_ said:

I just cleaned it off with ispropyl and I'm letting it dry now. Hoping it's alive.

Give it a long ass time to FULLY dry before giving it power. We are all praying with you, my friend.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Give it a long ass time to FULLY dry before giving it power. We are all praying with you, my friend.

isopropyl evaporates within a matter of seconds; no need to wait a "long ass time"

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

1 minute ago, PCgamer324 said:

isopropyl evaporates within a matter of seconds; no need to wait a "long ass time"

Oh. Haha, ignore me it's late. Second part still applies though, good luck :)

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 hour ago, PCgamer324 said:

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

What about the crap that could have gotten under the chips on the board?

I'm going to wait until tomorrow when I wake up to put it back in. Just to be safe, I guess. Even if it's not necessary. And I don't know what to do if it got in the board or under it or something. You mean take the cooler off? I don't know how to do that. I'm praying it works when I plug it in...

Ok it looks like there's some white residue on the pcb. I grounded myself and felt it and I don't think it was sticky. Should I clean it a little more with isopropyl alcohol or just keep letting it dry?

5 minutes ago, dima_ said:

Ok it looks like there's some white residue on the pcb. I grounded myself and felt it and I don't think it was sticky. Should I clean it a little more with isopropyl alcohol or just keep letting it dry?

Maybe try wipe it off with cotton buds soaked in the alcohol.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

That's what I would've done to clean it. Sounds good man. I will do that.

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

it's not coming off, should i try a little more or what do?

Could it be on the other side? Like I'd have to remove the cooler? Should I try putting it in my system first to see if it works?

1 minute ago, dima_ said:

it's not coming off, should i try a little more or what do?

Apply more pressure, if that doesn't work just leave it and let it dry and hope it works.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Apply more pressure, if that doesn't work just leave it and let it dry and hope it works.

Could the water have "bled through" the pcb?

27 minutes ago, dima_ said:

Could the water have "bled through" the pcb?

I'm not sure if that's possible, but leaving it to dry will help (I speak from experience, me and friends were messing with this old graphics card, we burnt the plastic shroud off before soaking it in water, after leaving it to dry for like 3 days it actually booted).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

WEW LADS. It works. I plugged in it, had to install an nvidia driver again, but SLI is disabled and it was just riding on the 980 I spilled stuff on. After I installed the driver it was looking good and I booted up Skyrim to test it out, no artifacts or anything out of the ordinary and I was getting typical fps (solid 60 with 2k textures and enhanced lighting!) :P

Is there anything I'll have to be on the lookout for in the near future? It still has that residue on it (it's not a lot or very noticeable, but it looks like a little stain on the pcb almost.) It's working so far so I guess it's alright.

10 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I'm not sure if that's possible, but leaving it to dry will help (I speak from experience, me and friends were messing with this old graphics card, we burnt the plastic shroud off before soaking it in water, after leaving it to dry for like 3 days it actually booted).

3 hours ago, PCgamer324 said:

4 hours ago, Spork829 said:

4 hours ago, DXMember said:

Thanks to everyone who helped. I'm going to get some much needed rest now.

But again! Is there anything I'll have to look out for here soon? Should I worry about the aforementioned imperfection on the pcb or is it not a big deal since it's working? I still have a feeling I'm not out the woods yet so keep praying :D but if I am then I'm the happiest man alive right now

Some pictures would be nice with my popcorn while waiting for the final result :)

3 minutes ago, bigneo said:

Some pictures would be nice with my popcorn while waiting for the final result :)

I'll take a pic of it give me a few minutes. I'm going to let my pc cool down before I open it again 

16 minutes ago, bigneo said:

I hope you can see OK. It looks like a light little stain on the pcb. If its working I guess it's not a big deal! 

Edit it's in the dust free spot right under the 24pin

20160603_052310.jpg