Best Fans for 750D (Previous Heat Issues)

jb600

Hey all!

On my previous (well current for a few more days) while it was in the 750D case, I was getting brutal heat to one of my GPU's. I believe it was the top one.My setup is the same, just moved to a HAF932 Advanced for the side fan....

i7 4770K

Asus Maximus VI Forumula

H105 CPU Cooler

2x Asus GTX770 in SLI

I don't really need to name off the other components. Anyways I used the stock setup for fans, which is the 2 plain 140mm Corsair AF140's in the front as intake, then the same fans in the top which came with the cooler for exhaust, and rear exhaust. The one GPU I believe the top one would get super hot, between 90-95 degrees. Switching to the HAF932 dramatically decreased temps due to the large side fan.

My concern is that I've sold this build and am building a new PC and plan to SLI it as well in the future. I am reverting back to this case and want to know if you guys have any tips for improving the GPU temp without going to water cooling. The way the VI Formula was set up, the 2 gpu's were almost stacked on top of one another (half to 3/4 inch) and so the HAF932 side fan helped clear that out. If I have heat issues again how should I handle it? Different fans? I am open to more fans just didn't know what you guys thought. Again other than the 3 stock fans and the radiator stock fans, I didn't upgrade anything or replace fans with better ones.

I thought about just getting a full set of Noctua NF A14 PPC2000 or 3000 Industrials but am concerned that many of those fans in the case will be stupid loud, and will have to be used at such a low RPM that there may not be as much air moved.

Should replacing the fans with faster and more powerful ones make a big difference? Any fans you guys would recommend? There are slots also on the bottom for 2x120mm fans. Would adding those help? 

Part of me also wonders if it's just simply a defective GPU that it got so hot.... I don't see many others with similar issues

Thanks!

EDIT: I should also add the components for my new build.

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA 2011-v3 Motherboarad

I7-5820k 6 core processor

Kraken x61 CPU Cooler (2x140mm fans)

bdZMkEA.jpg

This is my 750d Airflow Edition (front panel being mesh instead of closed).

CPU temp never goes above 72C under full load and GPUs stay under 52C.

I have no heat issues what so ever. All of my hardware is overclocked too. All I can suggest is perhaps changing the fans?

Aircooled SLI is always going to boil the top card, but shouldn't be in the 90-95C range that's for sure.

What speed did you have the fans running it ?

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

5 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

bdZMkEA.jpg

This is my 750d Airflow Edition (front panel being mesh instead of closed).

CPU temp never goes above 72C under full load and GPUs stay under 52C.

I have no heat issues what so ever. All of my hardware is overclocked too. All I can suggest is perhaps changing the fans?

Aircooled SLI is always going to boil the top card, but shouldn't be in the 90-95C range that's for sure.

What speed did you have the fans running it ?

I have the regular 750D so the front panel is closed. I had considered possibly putting some holes in the front for better air flow. A hunch I had was that the front fans weren't getting enough air.

My CPU always stays cool, there's not even close to an issue with the CPU. It was the top GPU that got horribly hot. I think the coldest I had ever managed to see it stead at was high 80's, close to 90.

I would actually use the AI suite and max out the fans, but don't remember what the GPU fans were at. I had tested all the way up to 90ish % on them though. But that probably didn't help alot as it just blew more hot air onto that top card.

Those are all Noctua Industrials right? 2000 or 3000? Does it get pretty loud under load?

1 minute ago, jb600 said:

I have the regular 750D so the front panel is closed. I had considered possibly putting some holes in the front for better air flow. A hunch I had was that the front fans weren't getting enough air.

My CPU always stays cool, there's not even close to an issue with the CPU. It was the top GPU that got horribly hot. I think the coldest I had ever managed to see it stead at was high 80's, close to 90.

I would actually use the AI suite and max out the fans, but don't remember what the GPU fans were at. I had tested all the way up to 90ish % on them though. But that probably didn't help alot as it just blew more hot air onto that top card.

Honestly sounds like a faulty card to me. What was the bottom one running at ?

Also the noctuas are by far the quietest fans when it comes to performance fans. I have mine controlled via the BIOS on my ROG board (could also use AI Suite), and they have been left on 1050rpm apart from the rear 140mm which is at 900rpm. They are dead silent, and move a good amount of air. Infact I can hear the pump on my EK Predator more as well as the EK vardar fans on there, over the noctuas. And they run at roughly the same RPM.

6 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Honestly sounds like a faulty card to me. What was the bottom one running at ?

Also the noctuas are by far the quietest fans when it comes to performance fans. I have mine controlled via the BIOS on my ROG board (could also use AI Suite), and they have been left on 1050rpm apart from the rear 140mm which is at 900rpm. They are dead silent, and move a good amount of air. Infact I can hear the pump on my EK Predator more as well as the EK vardar fans on there, over the noctuas. And they run at roughly the same RPM.

I don't remember now, but I think the highest it got was mid 70's if I had to guess. It never was pushed that hard.

And really eh? Are those the 2000's or 3000's? Would you say they would both sound about the same at 1000-1200 RPM? Just the 3000 has more high end juice?

But yeah now with the HAF they both run great and I've never had any issues since which made me think its the case.

Do you think adding bottom intake fans would help at all with the GPU temps?

1 minute ago, jb600 said:

I don't remember now, but I think the highest it got was mid 70's if I had to guess. It never was pushed that hard.

And really eh? Are those the 2000's or 3000's? Would you say they would both sound about the same at 1000-1200 RPM? Just the 3000 has more high end juice?

But yeah now with the HAF they both run great and I've never had any issues which made me think its the case.

Do you think adding bottom intake fans would help at all with the GPU temps?

The ones I have are the 2000s, and when maxed out they are loud but not like loud where you couldn't sit in the room kind of loud. With a good headset you probably wouldn't hear them still!

The 3000s are a totally different ballgame, I wouldn't even go there unless you like noise. But I'd imagine they'd run the same at 1000rpm sound wise.

And that is strange, the HAF isn't much better in terms of airflow, I mean sure it has the side fan but even then... I'm not a 100% sure as to how gimped the 750d is without the mesh in the front, but i've seen some pretty high end builds in those so it can't be that bad. 

Adding fans at the bottom is a good idea yes.

So then you would have 4 intake fans (bottom and front) and 3 exhaust 140mms , correct?

3 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

The ones I have are the 2000s, and when maxed out they are loud but not like loud where you couldn't sit in the room kind of loud. With a good headset you probably wouldn't hear them still!

The 3000s are a totally different ballgame, I wouldn't even go there unless you like noise. But I'd imagine they'd run the same at 1000rpm sound wise.

And that is strange, the HAF isn't much better in terms of airflow, I mean sure it has the side fan but even then... I'm not a 100% sure as to how gimped the 750d is without the mesh in the front, but i've seen some pretty high end builds in those so it can't be that bad. 

Adding fans at the bottom is a good idea yes.

So then you would have 4 intake fans (bottom and front) and 3 exhaust 140mms , correct?

Yeah, 2x120's in the bottom and 2x140s in the front... Wouldn't the 2x120's redirect that cold air from the front upwards though? It's the air trapped between the 2 GPU's that I need to get out.

I guess if worse comes to worse and I SLI it and there are issues, I'll put some holes in the front for better air collection, or just get a different case.

And yeah I know the airflow isn't a lot better but I do know its better. I didn't have any heat issues except that one GPU so the side fan clearing that out made a massive difference. 

I suppose I could just get GPU's with water cooling built in like yours :P

You said they were sandwiched together? I would recommend spacing them out, OR reverting to blower style fan designs like on the founders edition or reference model Nvidia cards. (rather than something like an Asus Strix which will simply blow the air AROUND in your case, so your top card will pick up some of the hot air and heat from your bottom card). You could also buy AIO water cooled GPU's for a small amount more (not talking custom water cooling here) and that would eliminate pretty much any heat issues in pretty much any config at pretty much any overclocking levels.

But assuming you don't want to go for that... you can do a few things, space out your cards (assuming your mobo permits it) so there's a little bit more room to breathe in your case. get air flow optimized fans in the front of your case as intakes since air flow optimized fans have better directional airflow than static pressure optimized fans, allowing for more cool air to get directly in the front and straight to your CPU. set your PSU fan side down so it takes its own air from the outside of the case and spits it back outside the case. If you have it taking from the inside, its going to be stealing some of that fresh cool air from your front fans in order to cool itself, and you primarily want that air to be used on your GPU's... CLEAN YOUR COMPONENTS.... it doesn't matter what sort of GPU or cooling solutions you use, if your stuff is clogged with dust, you will have MUCH higher temps.

Also make sure that you have intakes in the front, and exhausts out the top. if you have intakes in the front and intakes in the top, you MIGHT be creating too much positive pressure, causing inflated temps...

Whatever the case, the 750D is a pretty solid case, combined with its size, fan availability, and ported holes ALL OVER the place, theres no reason cooling in this case should be anything other than a "breeze"

2 minutes ago, jb600 said:

Yeah, 2x120's in the bottom and 2x140s in the front... Wouldn't the 2x120's redirect that cold air from the front upwards though? It's the air trapped between the 2 GPU's that I need to get out.

I guess if worse comes to worse and I SLI it and there are issues, I'll put some holes in the front for better air collection, or just get a different case.

And yeah I know the airflow isn't a lot better but I do know its better. I didn't have any heat issues except that one GPU so the side fan clearing that out made a massive difference. 

You are correct, it will push it slightly up however it won't be as bad as you think. There are a few people who have done that on the 750D owners club page on overclocked.net

Why don't you try zip tie a fan behind the hdd cages assuming you have them in the case still, that should put it right between the two cards if im not mistaken?

But yes as Zyndo suggested above, spacing the cards will help a lot in this instance too.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

You said they were sandwiched together? I would recommend spacing them out, OR reverting to blower style fan designs like on the founders edition or reference model Nvidia cards. (rather than something like an Asus Strix which will simply blow the air AROUND in your case, so your top card will pick up some of the hot air and heat from your bottom card). You could also buy AIO water cooled GPU's for a small amount more (not talking custom water cooling here) and that would eliminate pretty much any heat issues in pretty much any config at pretty much any overclocking levels.

But assuming you don't want to go for that... you can do a few things, space out your cards (assuming your mobo permits it) so there's a little bit more room to breathe in your case. get air flow optimized fans in the front of your case as intakes since air flow optimized fans have better directional airflow than static pressure optimized fans, allowing for more cool air to get directly in the front and straight to your CPU. set your PSU fan side down so it takes its own air from the outside of the case and spits it back outside the case. If you have it taking from the inside, its going to be stealing some of that fresh cool air from your front fans in order to cool itself, and you primarily want that air to be used on your GPU's... CLEAN YOUR COMPONENTS.... it doesn't matter what sort of GPU or cooling solutions you use, if your stuff is clogged with dust, you will have MUCH higher temps.

Also make sure that you have intakes in the front, and exhausts out the top. if you have intakes in the front and intakes in the top, you MIGHT be creating too much positive pressure, causing inflated temps.

I have the VI Formula (for now) and the spacing wasn't permitted. The top 2 PCI slots are close together and the 3rd is farther spaced, close to the bottom. Putting the GPU there won't work because the PSU is then in the way. PSU is vented down and was before in that case as well.

I could always go for a AIO GPU for sure like the guy above has. That eliminates the entire issue for sure.

Again, I've never had issues with any component (bottom GPU or the CPU), only the top one, and once I got the HAF932, it still runs warmer of course but the side fan made a huge difference.

2 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

You are correct, it will push it slightly up however it won't be as bad as you think. There are a few people who have done that on the 750D owners club page on overclocked.net

Why don't you try zip tie a fan behind the hdd cages assuming you have them in the case still, that should put it right between the two cards if im not mistaken?

But yes as Zyndo suggested above, spacing the cards will help a lot in this instance too.

I don't have it set up currently but worth a shot. I'll have to wait till its set up to get a better idea, and post pictures.

Spacing isn't an option, unless I got a bigger case. The damn PSU is in the way.

8 minutes ago, jb600 said:

I don't have it set up currently but worth a shot. I'll have to wait till its set up to get a better idea, and post pictures.

Spacing isn't an option, unless I got a bigger case. The damn PSU is in the way.

Oh really? You should have plenty of room to space them out I thought?

Here is one I found where it's not SLI but the dude seems to be recommending doing only 1 fan at the bottom, but furthest from the front fans.

900x900px-LL-19a18e42_72sDT8c.jpeg

6 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Oh really? You should have plenty of room to space them out I thought?

Here is one I found where it's not SLI but the dude seems to be recommending doing only 1 fan at the bottom, but furthest from the front fans.

900x900px-LL-19a18e42_72sDT8c.jpeg

So weird... there's ton of room in that setup but definitely 100% wasn't in mine. Now I'm confused haha. Well I guess I'll wait and figure it out.

While we're at it let me get your opinion...

I have ordered everything (except fans) but the GPU's as I'm waiting for 1080/1070...

My goal is to game at 2k for now, but switch to 4k when the time is right and you can get higher than 60hz. Do you think I should either 

1) Get GTX980 SLI now

2) Get GTX980 TI (single) now, and SLI later

3) Wait and look at 1070/1080...

I thnk the 1080 will be out of my price range, but I've seen some benchmarks that have the 1070 as good or better than the 980TI, and others its equal or not as close...

Here in Canada, the 1080 is about $900 and the 1070 is rumored to be in the 7-800 range.

I can get the EVGA 980 TI Hybrid for about $900-$950.

2 minutes ago, jb600 said:

So weird... there's ton of room in that setup but definitely 100% wasn't in mine. Now I'm confused haha. Well I guess I'll wait and figure it out.

While we're at it let me get your opinion...

I have ordered everything (except fans) but the GPU's as I'm waiting for 1080/1070...

My goal is to game at 2k for now, but switch to 4k when the time is right and you can get higher than 60hz. Do you think I should either 

1) Get GTX980 SLI now

2) Get GTX980 TI (single) now, and SLI later

3) Wait and look at 1070/1080...

I thnk the 1080 will be out of my price range, but I've seen some benchmarks that have the 1070 as good or better than the 980TI, and others its equal or not as close...

Here in Canada, the 1080 is about $900 and the 1070 is rumored to be in the 7-800 range.

I can get the EVGA 980 TI Hybrid for about $900-$950.

Yea it is weird, because I have a lot of space in mine too, and my cards are spaced out too, slot 1 and 3.

Well I have gone down the route of single 1080, I have just sold both of my hybrids these last couple of days and will be going back to single gpu after that 2way sli life for over 2 years now (780ti's, 970s and now 980ti's).

Reason being, I am sick of how badly SLI is supported and utilised. Not sure if developers are being lazy or if Nvidia is at fault for this, but even AAA games are coming out with none or really bad SLI support on release... And some takes months to get the right drivers where my second card would actually get more than 60% usage.

If you are in that boat too, then wait for the 1080 (board partner cards will be cheaper than the silly founders edition so it might be in your range ?)

If not, then i'd take the 8GB 1070 over the 980ti as even at 1440p which is what I game at, the 6GB VRAM does get maxed out by a few Ubisoft titles, and GTA V to add. So even though my 980ti was fast enough to handle it, i did have to dial down some AA or ultra textures down to High, just to stay within the 6GB buffer.

Not sure what the MSRP for the 1070 Hybrid will be, but shouldn't be more than 800 at most.

Yeah, well whatever I get, I will likely SLI it in the near future...

I'm known for being overkill lol. I got 2 GTX 770's to game at 1080p... Mind you I have a 144hz monitor and I turn AA off and other unnecessary effects and always get well over 100 FPS on any game I've played.... 

Also I had a total recollection just now....

I had the 750D in my old apartment, which was full of seniors with non individual heating so it was always really warm... like closer to 80 than 70 in there. Also, I swapped cases before moving, and am now in a basement of a house thats always cool. I also didn't try the spacing thing in the  750D.

After I got to the new house and was getting crazy low temps (winter, in a semi finished basement) I decided to see how low I could get the temps, and wanted to space the GPUs out. THAT's when I didn't have the space to do it... was in the HAF932, not the 750D.

I just don't like that the release is not set in stone in Canada I don't think, though I've heard June 10, and I don't yet know prices or stock levels.