Password solutions?

Go to solution Solved by positivePXL,

I'm a fan of KeePass personally. Super encrypted, basically uncrackable. You install it to a USB drive, or hard install it to your computer, and the password archive (encrypted ofc) can be moved like any normal picture or text file, and imported into any other KeePass program. All you have to do is memorize one difficult password, and from inside KeePass, you can manage, organize, and customize all of your passwords, complete with URL's and usernames. It also comes pre-packed with an internal password randomizer, so all you have to do is ask it to create a new entry, and it will auto-generate a new 20 character password for, whatever the hell you want. 

I like it better than LastPass, the Chrome extension that LMG actually uses, because I don't need to install Chrome everywhere I go, all I have to do is carry a tinny USB flash drive with me. And because the archive can be moved, you can keep a backup archives around so if you ever lose the USB drive, you only have to reinstall KeePass again, and import the archive. 

So I was looking for good solutions for password management? I know about chrome extensions that encrypt your passwords in a folder, but It's a bit of a nuisance to log in from somewhere else. So I was wondering about others solutions, i've heard about usb keys that can hold all your passwords and log in automatically, any ideas on this? What other solutions are out there? 

Write it I. A notebook and just don't write the site it goes with

just number it like

1: djfirnfoelao2848 

2: 3949mfmrkro003&

etc..

and that hat way you can have a random ass password and bring it along and if it gets lost (make a copy) no one will know what it means 

and just remebr member what number is what website so like just know 1 is Facebook and 2 is email.

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Write it I. A notebook and just don't write the site it goes with

just number it like

1: djfirnfoelao2848 

2: 3949mfmrkro003&

etc..

and that hat way you can have a random ass password and bring it along and if it gets lost (make a copy) no one will know what it means 

and just remebr member what number is what website so like just know 1 is Facebook and 2 is email.

ye that could work, thanks 

i just use the regular chrome password saving feature

that way i can log into chrome from a new PC and all my passwords are available

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

ye that could work, thanks 

I'd trust it more then using some online thing that has a potential for others to gain access too, and using a text doc well you can't access that from everywhere, even just putting that as a nite in your smartphone is a good idea.

I use lastpass with a long strong password that I can remember, and for logging in I use two step tied to my phone.  I can still sign in on other computers, but my phone has to be on me

I'm a fan of KeePass personally. Super encrypted, basically uncrackable. You install it to a USB drive, or hard install it to your computer, and the password archive (encrypted ofc) can be moved like any normal picture or text file, and imported into any other KeePass program. All you have to do is memorize one difficult password, and from inside KeePass, you can manage, organize, and customize all of your passwords, complete with URL's and usernames. It also comes pre-packed with an internal password randomizer, so all you have to do is ask it to create a new entry, and it will auto-generate a new 20 character password for, whatever the hell you want. 

I like it better than LastPass, the Chrome extension that LMG actually uses, because I don't need to install Chrome everywhere I go, all I have to do is carry a tinny USB flash drive with me. And because the archive can be moved, you can keep a backup archives around so if you ever lose the USB drive, you only have to reinstall KeePass again, and import the archive. 

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

That sounds amazing, thanks i'll definitely be looking into this and it sounds like a great solution.

Doesn't even have to be a very big USB drive either, you know. I think the program is only a couple mb's and doesn't need to be installed on a friends computer if you have it on the USB drive.

I've also seen that there are ways that you can set-up keybinds so it will automatically paste in the appropriate passwords, but it takes a lot of set-up, something I just don't feel like doing or going through the pain of. That's the only thing LastPass has over KeePass, that LastPass actually just integrates itself into the existing Chrome password framework, and will allow you to '"tab" in your password if it recognizes the URL and username without having to set anything up. If you're like me though, you still don't want your encrypted passwords in a cloud somewhere. Even if it is incredibly hard to crack your password, if anyone can download your encrypted file, then can still try. And I'm just too paranoid to let that happen :3

Doesn't even have to be a very big USB drive either, you know. I think the program is only a couple mb's and doesn't need to be installed on a friends computer if you have it on the USB drive.

I've also seen that there are ways that you can set-up keybinds so it will automatically paste in the appropriate passwords, but it takes a lot of set-up, something I just don't feel like doing or going through the pain of. That's the only thing LastPass has over KeePass, that LastPass actually just integrates itself into the existing Chrome password framework, and will allow you to '"tab" in your password if it recognizes the URL and username without having to set anything up. If you're like me though, you still don't want your encrypted passwords in a cloud somewhere. Even if it is incredibly hard to crack your password, if anyone can download your encrypted file, then can still try. And I'm just too paranoid to let that happen :3

I like the sound of KeePass best, i've used lastpass before and wasn't really all that impressed, i'm willing to go through the bit of extra setup for the added security but again thanks :D i'll probably search for a good 4gb usb with maybe some kinda lock mechanism.  

1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

I like the sound of KeePass best, i've used lastpass before and wasn't really all that impressed, i'm willing to go through the bit of extra setup for the added security but again thanks :D i'll probably search for a good 4gb usb with maybe some kinda lock mechanism.  

All the more power to you, I'm just jealous I didn't think of that first :/  

9 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

All the more power to you, I'm just jealous I didn't think of that first :/  

hehehe ;D well I think I might even go with a biometric usb. I go all around and it would probably keep everything pretty safe.

1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

hehehe ;D well I think I might even go with a biometric usb. I go all around and it would probably keep everything pretty safe.

And just like that, you have 2-factor authentication.

And just like that, you have 2-factor authentication.

Hoorayyyy :D

13 hours ago, positivePXL said:

LastPass is website based. Not only extension. So where ever you can access internet, you can access LastPass. And use it with almost any browser you like better. Only minus side is that mobile is subscription based.

I would like KeePass better. But I'm too comfortable with LastPass to make the move.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv