XFX DD radeon 7970 ghz wont overclock 1 mhz

Paavan
Go to solution Solved by Commissar,

the voltage is locked. only the BE (of the XFX line) has unlocked voltage....

I understand some cards are bad overclockers, and others are great, but my video card literally can't handle a 0.1% overclock, which leads me to believe that something is faulty. I've used CCC, and MSI afterburner, but to no success. The card is stable at 1150 and 1600 in furmark, but when I start a game it crashes in a few seconds. Any help would be appreciated.

Psu: cm gx750

MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1tb

CPU: Phenom 2 x4 965 at 4Ghz

Some GPUs can not even overclock by 1MHz.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have you tried using diff drivers? could be an issue there too.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Leave it at stock settings, and run some very gpu intensive stress tests. If it becomes unstable at all, you can RMA it.

Furmark, or try setting it to fold or mine bitcoin.

Unless the card is proven to be unstable at stock speeds you cannot return it.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

can I return it for heavy coil whine, because it has that in load screens, but for some reason, its not even audible when gaming

can I return it for heavy coil whine, because it has that in load screens, but for some reason, its not even audible when gaming

that's ur hard drive, not your gpu...

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

I understand some cards are bad overclockers, and others are great, but my video card literally can't handle a 0.1% overclock, which leads me to believe that something is faulty. I've used CCC, and MSI afterburner, but to no success. The card is stable at 1150 and 1600 in furmark, but when I start a game it crashes in a few seconds. Any help would be appreciated.

Psu: cm gx750

MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1tb

CPU: Phenom 2 x4 965 at 4Ghz

Furmark, combuster, heaven, 3dmark, ect are not valid stability tests for overclocks. They can point to a stability problem but the real stability tests are games that load the GPU in certain ways. like IE a source game using physics, battlefield3 that can max out your gpu usage, or a highly cpu compute heavy game such as TERA or vindictus which uses GPU load in different varying levels that load different parts of the GPU which test the stability of the overclock.

I'm not sure why the card can't OC beyond stock, even my mobile alienware card can push 920mhz(base is 850mhz) without overvoltage, I suspect there's something wrong with the GPU itself, you probably got a bad card where the chip was at the very edge of the wafer. while it runs fine at stock, touching it's controls is probably throwing it out of whack. I'd try to find some way to return it or RMA it.