MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G Release Date and Price estimates?

I have finally finished saving up for my dream PC build with a MSI GTX 980Ti. However, I'm starting to wonder if buying this card is foolish with the release of the 1080.

I don't want the founders edition made by NVIDIA but this upcoming Gaming X version by MSI: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-8G.html#hero-overview seems amazing.

However, I've only just been able to afford this build I've had in mind all this time so I can't afford to spend a load more money on the latest card.

Does anyone have any guesses of when this card might be available and how much it might be?

I imagine we will see it mid to late June, as other manufacturers are releasing their custom 1080s. I think the price will be around $650 USD.

2 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

I imagine we will see it mid to late June, as other manufacturers are releasing their custom 1080s. I think the price will be around $650 USD.

Thanks for the estimate. I wouldn't mind waiting that long...and that would only make it £450 which is actually £50 cheaper than the MSI GTX 980Ti I was thinking about getting...perhaps I'll wait and see then!

11 minutes ago, Dan1 said:

I guess that the price for that msi gtx 1080 will between 600 to 650.  

Is that $? Because that would make it cheaper than the GTX 980Ti that I have in my Amazon basket!!

1 minute ago, Gabby2805 said:

Thanks for the estimate. I wouldn't mind waiting that long...and that would only make it £450 which is actually £50 cheaper than the MSI GTX 980Ti I was thinking about getting...perhaps I'll wait and see then!

Unfortunately, tech products don't always follow the going exchange rate, so it could cost more in your country.:$

Unfortunately, tech products don't always follow the going exchange rate, so it could cost more in your country.:$

That would be my luck :( Hopefully not! I'm in England. Perhaps its worth waiting to find out.

1 minute ago, Gabby2805 said:

That would be my luck :( Hopefully not! I'm in England. Perhaps its worth waiting to find out.

If I was in your situation, I would certainly wait it out.:)

If I was in your situation, I would certainly wait it out.:)

Well it sucks that I've waited all this time and now I have to wait even longer...but I think it will be worth finding out! Thanks for the advice :)

If you're using a 1080p monitor, I would also recommend looking into the GTX 1070, as you could save yourself some more money.

8 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

I've just checked on US Amazon and the GTX 980TI is $725 which is about £500 which is only just slightly cheaper than in the UK so fingers crossed, I'll have a similar price for the 1080 over here!

3 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

If you're using a 1080p monitor, I would also recommend looking into the GTX 1070, as you could save yourself some more money.

I'm getting a 4K monitor but that is kinda just for future-proofing, one glorious day in the far future I may be able to SLI.

2 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

I'm getting a 4K monitor but that is kinda just for future-proofing, one glorious day in the far future I may be able to SLI.

With that said,  GTX 1080 is certainly the way to go.

1 minute ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

With that said,  GTX 1080 is certainly the way to go.

Okay, well I'll wait until I buy then! Hopefully I'll be able to afford it.

I've just found that this site has it available for preorder at £650 (about $940..): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-323-ms.html

This is just over £100 more expensive than the GTX 980Ti I was planning on buying so I think this is the way to go. I just have to decide whether to preorder it from that site that I've not used before or wait until it is available on Amazon and buy it with the rest of my stuff.

Personally, I'd wait until it's available in several stores - not just the one(s) you use. Let see the prices and models available and pick which suits best.

1 minute ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Personally, I'd wait until it's available in several stores - not just the one(s) you use. Let see the prices and models available and pick which suits best.

That is a good point. But I don't know about everywhere else, but UK Amazon always seems to have the best prices haha!

It often does. Check out scan.co.uk too. I found that they know how to pack computer hardware A LOT better than Amazon do. Other places you could look are the likes of Dabs - I got my 980Ti from them as it was on offer and cheaper than other options at the time.

It often does. Check out scan.co.uk too. I found that they know how to pack computer hardware A LOT better than Amazon do. Other places you could look are the likes of Dabs - I got my 980Ti from them as it was on offer and cheaper than other options at the time.

Okay thanks for the recommendations! That would be great if they package better...I ordered my RAM for £120 from Amazon and it literally came in a sleeve of the thinnest cardboard ever -.- I'm not surprised if its broken tbh. And I have no way of finding out if its broken because I have no PC to put it in which is just awesome so it may end up being broken and too late to send it back -.-

5 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Scan.co.uk also has it available for £650 and it says its available on 10th June

5 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

Okay thanks for the recommendations! That would be great if they package better...I ordered my RAM for £120 from Amazon and it literally came in a sleeve of the thinnest cardboard ever -.- I'm not surprised if its broken tbh. And I have no way of finding out if its broken because I have no PC to put it in which is just awesome so it may end up being broken and too late to send it back -.-

I ordered two HDDs from Amazon once... Never again. It was a box big enough for a PSU that had the two HDDs wrapped in their anti-static bags but otherwise loose in the box with a bit of paper. Surprisingly, those two drives still work fine today - but I was VERY dubious for the first month of use. When I bought four 4TB drives, I ordered from Scan even though it worked out about £20 more expensive.

2 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

Scan.co.uk also has it available for £650 and it says its available on 10th June

I think they charge shipping so don't forget to add that on. I doubt it's much. But sometimes it's worth it for the better packing.

This is a card I too am looking for. That or EVGA. I had an MSI 980 and was pleased with it. I just wish MSI would deviate from the red/black theme. :( I hate waiting as I'm on my last nerve lol

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I ordered two HDDs from Amazon once... Never again. It was a box big enough for a PSU that had the two HDDs wrapped in their anti-static bags but otherwise loose in the box with a bit of paper. Surprisingly, those two drives still work fine today - but I was VERY dubious for the first month of use. When I bought four 4TB drives, I ordered from Scan even though it worked out about £20 more expensive.

I think they charge shipping so don't forget to add that on. I doubt it's much. But sometimes it's worth it for the better packing.

Wow...I'm nervous now, my entire build is sitting in my Amazon basket. Oh well, they have excellent return policies. If I buy everything at once then that shouldn't be a problem, it just sucks that I rushed into buying my RAM because it was on sale.

Scan do charge for postage and quite a lot actually. But Overclockers.co.uk are charging £650 for the pre-order too and its free postage, but they estimate it will be June 17th.