.What do you think of this build? Budget GTX 1070 Build

I have a friend who is working with a $1000 budget for his first computer and I really don't want him to make the mistakes I first made when I build my first one (I bought a $250 case and had a GTX 750 ti, I was so stupid). 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/johnmakuta/saved/hqRLrH

That's the build above. I told him to wait out for a GTX 1070 because it has the same performance as a GTX 980 ti but around half the price. I originally was going to go with Haswell  but I picked an LGA 1151 set because it will have an upgrade path if oh so minor. 

Please tell me how I could improve on this. I know it's above $1000 so anything will help.

cut down then PSU to a 550W or 600W because that dosent need 750W and 3TB HDD is a bit overkill too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

cut down then PSU to a 550W or 600W because that dosent need 750W and 3TB HDD is a bit overkill too

The Hard drive is like that because it's a 30% increase in price for a 200% increase in Capacity. (Compared to a $50 1TB drive)

The PSU because it's cheap and there's an upgrade path.

1 minute ago, Johnmakuta said:

The Hard drive is like that because it's a 30% increase in price for a 200% increase in Capacity.

well if you dont want to cut costs i wont say anything then

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'm not saying those are bad Ideas I'm just trying to explain why I didn't cut those to begin with because I am also looking for best value per dollar

2 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

I'm not saying those are bad Ideas I'm just trying to explain why I didn't cut those to begin with because I am also looking for best value per dollar

also the 650W version of that PSU is what i have and its pertty overkill already so maby step down to that atleast

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

also the 650W version of that PSU is what i have and its pertty overkill already so maby step down to that atleast

Thank you, that's actually a really good idea but do you think that PSU could handle dual 1070s? Based on the 1080 being some 180W

Thank you, that's actually a really good idea but do you think that PSU could handle dual 1070s? Based on the 1080 being some 180W

yes. it will probably be fine. 

Builds:

Spoiler

So i heared the 3TB Seagate Barraguda is really bad... seems a lot of people have Problems with it.

3 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

There is an upgrade path with a higher quality 500-650w PSU. 

Buying high output cheap PSUs dont seem like a great plan to me.

Value wise about the HDD, you got a point but DO YOU NEED 3TB? Because i doubt it, why not stick with 1TB or 2TB for the time being? You'll save cash.

that PSU could handle dual 1070s

I dont think so but i dont think its a good idé to hook up ~600$ worth of GPUs to a 100$ PSU from EVGA's budget line, even if the wattage is sufficient.

But it isn't actually cheaper... So those comments weren't all that helpful...

2 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

The Hard drive is like that because it's a 30% increase in price for a 200% increase in Capacity. (Compared to a $50 1TB drive)

Anyways, honestly with 400 dollars going to a graphics card, 1k might be a bit of a squeeze with overclocking hardware. Brb on  a list...

EDIT: With overclocking cpu stuff wanted (and I think it's a huge pre-req so don't skip it)... this is about as good as I would recommend...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.21 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.95 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($65.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Nvidia GTX 1070 ($399.00)
Total: $1049.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-27 16:36 EDT-0400

For convenience sake, this is only from Newegg, Amazon, and NCIX US. If you are willing to use other merchants it may be cheaper (shipping might get you though.)

Some parts are sidegrades, others are upgrades (like the psu...) The hdd is the same price per gig dw there.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

But it isn't actually cheaper... So those comments weren't all that helpful...

Anyways, honestly with 400 dollars going to a graphics card, 1k might be a bit of a squeeze with overclocking hardware. Brb on  a list...

EDIT: With overclocking cpu stuff wanted (and I think it's a huge pre-req so don't skip it)... this is about as good as I would recommend...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.21 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.95 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($65.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Nvidia GTX 1070 ($399.00)
Total: $1049.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-27 16:36 EDT-0400

For convenience sake, this is only from Newegg, Amazon, and NCIX US. If you are willing to use other merchants it may be cheaper (shipping might get you though.)

Some parts are sidegrades, others are upgrades (like the psu...) The hdd is the same price per gig dw there.

really? since when is a 1TB HDD and a 550W PSU not cheaper? just wondering... 

*edit

also thats a pretty good build :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

really? since when is a 1TB HDD and a 550W PSU not cheaper? just wondering... 

*edit

also thats a pretty good build :) 

Because even dropping to 550W, unless you buy a total shit psu it isn't going to be cheaper... Hence how the price actually went up when I grabbed LITERALLY THE CHEAPEST top-tier psu out there.

HDD would be, but 2TB is the sweetspot with same price per GB as 3TB.

48 dollars for a 1TB, 57 for a 2TB, 89? for a 3TB.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Because even dropping to 550W, unless you buy a total shit psu it isn't going to be cheaper... Hence how the price actually went up when I grabbed LITERALLY THE CHEAPEST top-tier psu out there.

HDD would be, but 2TB is the sweetspot with same price per GB as 3TB.

48 dollars for a 1TB, 57 for a 2TB, 89? for a 3TB.

huh. thanks for the info then :) 

Builds:

Spoiler