Alternate cable to display 120Hz?

Liquiditi
Go to solution Solved by Maskot,

display port to dvi should work, considering it can do 4k, it should be able to handle 1080 120hz

So I recently purchased a BenQ XL2411T monitor for my laptop.

My laptop does not have a DVI port (found this out after I purchased the monitor and also found out DVI is the main way of accessing 120Hz). 

Please assume that my laptop can handle 120FPS for all the games I play so it will make the most of the monitor and that whether or not I need 120Hz is negligible. 

I want to know if there is an alternate cable which I can achieve 120Hz with. Options I've looked at so far but have not received a definitive answer on is:

HDMI to DVI

USB 3.0 to DVI (UGA - USB Graphics Adaptor)

DIsplayport to DVI. 

I am most interested in the displayport to DVI as that is a capable I can easily purchase, 

Cheers for any help.

display port to dvi should work, considering it can do 4k, it should be able to handle 1080 120hz

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

All i know is that displayport is probably the best option. If you convert from displayport to DVI it will yield the best picture quality (other than direct Display port to display)

Avoid HDMI at all costs.

Definitely DisplayPort to DVI. As said above, HDMI should be avoided, especially on laptops, I've had issues with HDMI outputs on laptops.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

One more thing, do I need a passive or active Displayport to DVI? 

Will either one work? 

either will work, but a passive one will just get you single link dvi, but you need dual link so an active adapter is needed ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE