Ducky Shine 5 vs Corsair K70

Zackfoo
Go to solution Solved by Kobathor,
3 minutes ago, Zackfoo said:

sorry for being ignorant, who is hiko?
i read reviews and the keyboard seems really nice. The build quality seems good although not alluminium. Will definitely try it out before i actually choose in between.

Hiko is a professional CS:GO player, no need for you to know him. Don't feel bad :P

The keyboard is nice. While yes, the top plate is not aluminium, the keyboard has a very tough build with little to no flex. It's not too high off of the desk (of you don't have a wrist rest,) so it's comfortable to type on.

4 minutes ago, Zackfoo said:

ill probably like clean looking one more but the features on k70 is little bit too good to not give it a chance. And plus, ducky is my country is quite a bit more expensive compare to k70.

Being totally honest here- if the Ducky is much more expensive than the K70, then just get the K70. The K70 is an excellent keyboard with lots of nice features. Here in the USA they're the same price, but probably not where you are. IMO you should go for the K70 if it's cheaper.

Ducky Shine 5 vs Corsair K70 which one looks the best in your opinion?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Ducky Shine 5 vs Corsair K70 which one looks the best in your opinion?

• Ducky Shine 5
    • Corsair K70

Which one in your opinion looks the best? perhaps you have some other keyboard in mind that looks even better please leave it down below.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Keeping your strafe RGB unless you're wanting to switch key switches :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Keeping your strafe RGB unless you're wanting to switch key switches :P

i do really want to switch the switch. haahaaaaa that pun tho.

but yeah i want to try something else other than red switch. Manage to sell it at a good price so changing to another keyboard at  the same time.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

1 minute ago, Zackfoo said:

i do really want to switch the switch. haahaaaaa that pun tho.

but yeah i want to try something else other than red switch. Manage to sell it at a good price so changing to another keyboard at  the same time.

What switch do you want to switch to?

Which one looks the best? I like the look of the K70.
My Azio MGK1 is all I can speak for.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

What switch do you want to switch to?

both brown and speed i would say. That's why i can't decide just by the switch so i resolved to the looks first. If i get one of it i will probably change to another keyboard in a year time to try another switch. 

Just now, Zackfoo said:

both brown and speed i would say. That's why i can't decide just by the switch so i resolved to the looks first. If i get one of it i will probably change to another keyboard in a year time to try another switch. 

Get a key switch tester maybe? That would help you decide on which switch you like the most :D 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Get a key switch tester maybe? That would help you decide on which switch you like the most :D 

well i will get to try every single key soon or later. Just wanna decide what to try first for now especially for looks haha. K70 look awesome ducky shine looks clean and sexy too. God damn it so hard

I love my Shine 5 MX Brown

But you might like the K70 RGB

I like the Shine 5 because all of the lighting control is done on the keyboard. You don't have to open some software to get the lights working, just plug it in and use the FN key. 

Also, with the Shine 5, if you meet Hiko in real life and ask him to sign your keyboard, he'll tell you that you made a good choice ;)

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Zackfoo said:

well i will get to try every single key soon or later. Just wanna decide what to try first for now especially for looks haha. K70 look awesome ducky shine looks clean and sexy too. God damn it so hard

k70 for dem extra features (volume wheel for example) and more "gamery look" (it is compared to the shine) 

Ducky for plug and play features (everything is onboard), a much more subtle and normal looking keyboard ect.

1 hour ago, Kobathor said:

I love my Shine 5 MX Brown

But you might like the K70 RGB

I like the Shine 5 because all of the lighting control is done on the keyboard. You don't have to open some software to get the lights working, just plug it in and use the FN key. 

Also, with the Shine 5, if you meet Hiko in real life and ask him to sign your keyboard, he'll tell you that you made a good choice ;)

i read reviews and the keyboard seems really nice. The build quality seems good although not alluminium. Will definitely try it out before i actually choose in between.

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

k70 for dem extra features (volume wheel for example) and more "gamery look" (it is compared to the shine) 

Ducky for plug and play features (everything is onboard), a much more subtle and normal looking keyboard ect.

ill probably like clean looking one more but the features on k70 is little bit too good to not give it a chance. And plus, ducky is my country is quite a bit more expensive compare to k70.

Well it's your call :D I'm guessing ducky=brows? and k70=speed? well speeds are just reds with less travel :P but it is still a very different experience :) 

3 minutes ago, Zackfoo said:

Hiko is a professional CS:GO player, no need for you to know him. Don't feel bad :P

The keyboard is nice. While yes, the top plate is not aluminium, the keyboard has a very tough build with little to no flex. It's not too high off of the desk (of you don't have a wrist rest,) so it's comfortable to type on.

4 minutes ago, Zackfoo said:

Being totally honest here- if the Ducky is much more expensive than the K70, then just get the K70. The K70 is an excellent keyboard with lots of nice features. Here in the USA they're the same price, but probably not where you are. IMO you should go for the K70 if it's cheaper.

I used to be quite active here.

You can find deals on Corsair stuff cuz they're mainstream and available in brick and mortar stores, but I've never seen deals on Ducky.

The Shine5 I'd say is more comparable to a Strafe. And for all the love of 'everything onboard' and 'driverless'... having software drive the non-performance based things like lighting is not a bad thing actually. I can forsee building into their CUE software hooks into System.Events to change lighting settings based on various windows states, or active programs. Imagine when your computer is locked or sleep that it does a flashy light mode, and when you're logged in it tones it down to just reactive or something less distracting since you're using your keyboard. I'm really started hating this driverless keyboard idea after owning one and realizing it's useless to have all the flashy lighting options as I never switch to them when I'm using my computer, and it doesn't switch to them when I'm not using my computer...

So Ducky lose on price and functional features to a Strafe. Even Razer have an SDK for their Chroma lighting. All the performance needed to get a keystroke to the PC quickly is already baked into these keyboards. A few cycles on your CPU to run the CUE isn't gonna make a difference to a game that is GPU bound anyways.

Ducky has no advantage unless you travel with your keyboard to random computer that you don't own(and can't install CUE) regularly.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

I have a Ducky Shine 5 Brown key.  IMO it's a pretty over rated KB.  As stated, the only real advantage is if you travel, and want a gaming KB without software to plug into various machines, or for some reason you want a KB without software, yet still have some ability to mess with lighting and some macros.

For being "double keycaps", they aren't that great IMO, in fact the year of the whatever space bar key that came with mine came with a huge crack in it, and it feels pretty weak for a supposedly "solid" key cap.  I'd honestly not buy another one, and I'll likely go to a Filco next or just back to my IBM model M.  I haven't tried the Corsair, but had the first mechanical Razer made, and it was ok I guess, the Ducky is probably better to type on due to the Brown keys, but I find them a little too light for my taste, and will likely go back to Blues.

31 minutes ago, TundraBF109 said:

I have a Ducky Shine 5 Brown key.  IMO it's a pretty over rated KB.  As stated, the only real advantage is if you travel, and want a gaming KB without software to plug into various machines, or for some reason you want a KB without software, yet still have some ability to mess with lighting and some macros.

For being "double keycaps", they aren't that great IMO, in fact the year of the whatever space bar key that came with mine came with a huge crack in it, and it feels pretty weak for a supposedly "solid" key cap.  I'd honestly not buy another one, and I'll likely go to a Filco next or just back to my IBM model M.  I haven't tried the Corsair, but had the first mechanical Razer made, and it was ok I guess, the Ducky is probably better to type on due to the Brown keys, but I find them a little too light for my taste, and will likely go back to Blues.

wow, maybe you should try mx greens. that switch is lovely to type on especially if you like clicky switch. Filco is very limited in my country and the shipping cost 50% of the actual keyboard.... 
thx for you feedback it was hard to get the use review of ducky shine 5.

9 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

You can find deals on Corsair stuff cuz they're mainstream and available in brick and mortar stores, but I've never seen deals on Ducky.

The Shine5 I'd say is more comparable to a Strafe. And for all the love of 'everything onboard' and 'driverless'... having software drive the non-performance based things like lighting is not a bad thing actually. I can forsee building into their CUE software hooks into System.Events to change lighting settings based on various windows states, or active programs. Imagine when your computer is locked or sleep that it does a flashy light mode, and when you're logged in it tones it down to just reactive or something less distracting since you're using your keyboard. I'm really started hating this driverless keyboard idea after owning one and realizing it's useless to have all the flashy lighting options as I never switch to them when I'm using my computer, and it doesn't switch to them when I'm not using my computer...

So Ducky lose on price and functional features to a Strafe. Even Razer have an SDK for their Chroma lighting. All the performance needed to get a keystroke to the PC quickly is already baked into these keyboards. A few cycles on your CPU to run the CUE isn't gonna make a difference to a game that is GPU bound anyways.

Ducky has no advantage unless you travel with your keyboard to random computer that you don't own(and can't install CUE) regularly.

i do not travel to another random computer ever in my life, so i guess ducky shine 5 have no benefit for me i guess. 
thx for the feedback! I am currently using strafe and i really love how the software enhance the lighting. 

30 minutes ago, Zackfoo said:

I am currently using strafe and i really love how the software enhance the lighting. 

Just get another strafe with different switches if you think you'd like a different switch. They make them in blue and brown too. K70 Lux is better than original K70. They updated the lighting controller so the Lux is as good as the Strafe, but has that nice aluminium finish that is oh-so-difficult-to-clean, but damn does it look nice or what?!

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Just get another strafe with different switches if you think you'd like a different switch. They make them in blue and brown too. K70 Lux is better than original K70. They updated the lighting controller so the Lux is as good as the Strafe, but has that nice aluminium finish that is oh-so-difficult-to-clean, but damn does it look nice or what?!

can't get lux edition in my country tho. does k70 rapidfire has that updated light controller? i dont actually like strafe a lot tbh i like sharper design not rounded edge. 

k70 rapidfire has that updated light controller?

No. But you probably won't notice the difference, unless you podcast, then you may see the flickering in the videos.

1 minute ago, dtaflorida said:

No. But you probably won't notice the difference, unless you podcast, then you may see the flickering in the videos.

what they show on corsair webpage is the same tho. With the same thicker font keycap and all. Google can't confirm it for me i literally can't find any thing about it. 

20 minutes ago, Zackfoo said:

can't get lux edition in my country tho. does k70 rapidfire has that updated light controller? i dont actually like strafe a lot tbh i like sharper design not rounded edge. 

Both the new LUX RGB line and the Rapidfire use the LED controller from the Strafe RGB: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=158199

1 minute ago, Kleever said:

Both the new LUX RGB line and the Rapidfire use the LED controller from the Strafe RGB: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=158199

sweet!! thank god you are a great savior! 

Maybe I came off a bit harsh on the Ducky S5, but I seriously was expecting another level of quality after all the fuss made over their double shot key caps, and with one of them cracked out of the box, and the rest not feeling any better than Filco's feel - in fact a bit lighter even - this really disappointed me.  Otherwise, it's a fantastic KB, the lights are the best in the business, easily, and the ability to change them through hardware strokes instead of bloatware is a really big deal to some (not me so much, but I do appreciate it).  The  Browns are very fluid and fast, almost too light as I said, as I'm used to pounding on Cherry Blues, and the 4 IBM Ms I've collected.  Nobody has surpassed the 30+year old buckling spring keys of IBM to this date, but the Browns on the Ducky are lighting fast - I type over 100, sometimes faster, but I'm almost always in triple digits, and I find my error rate goes up with the Browns on the Ducky as they are just a little TOO fast.  So for someone who types 40 to 60 say, they'd be absolutely perfect most likely. 

The KB itself is very solidly built, no question, but then, so are Filco's and Corsair's and many other brands.  I've been a huge supporter of Corsair for many years due to their commitment to the gaming sector of PCs, making us great cases, PSUs repackaged from Seasonic, Ram, coolers, and all the rest.  Their KB are top notch IMO as well, I just prefer trying to find the absolute BEST for the 2 things used most, the keyboard and mouse, and don't mind paying any price for the best.  Used Ducky's mouse for a while, trying out Zowie (2 of them) right now too.  All are great, it's personal pref mainly.  I only sounded off about the Shine 5 as many have "enshrined" it as some amazingly above the rest piece of kit, when it's not, not really.  Again, the lighting is the best, hands down, so there IS that, but their "double shot" key caps are a bit of a let down, which is the main reason I tried one, to get the very best caps by a large margin out there, and they aren't.

Regarding the MX Green switch - I agree, they are probably the best for how I type and game.  However, the reason I went to Brown from Blue is my wife and I had to move my mother in to take care of her, as her pension for her hospice ran out and she has stage 4 lymphoma and won't be with us much longer.  The Blue KBs and IBM M were keeping her up at night (I work best in the night, and have always been a night owl), so in order to be more quiet I tried the browns, which don't echo through our walls of our summer home nearly as bad.  I'll eventually go back to Blues, or likely as advised here try out the Greens, which have a much higher actuating forces on both press and bottom.