is xp dead?

Lil Chillbil

i dont really know why vista is even mentioned at all :P It's one of those operating systems that nobody really thinks about anymore :P

I have a copy under my bed and i don't think i'm ever going to use it again.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Here you go OP,

500 MEELLION PCs still run Windows XP

If you think that many people are going to upgrade before the 6 months deadline, well B)

Ref: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/01/six_months_end_xp_support/

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

XP is dead in the sense that there's no good reason to still be running it.

Businesses still run it because they're too lazy to update their infrastructures.

Any software worth its salt will have been updated to work with 7 by now.  If your program doesn't run, find another program.

It's obviously not going to fall off the face of the Earth.  A large chunk of people are still going to be using it for years to come.  But sticking with it is pretty foolish.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Any software worth its salt will have been updated to work with 7 by now.  If your program doesn't run, find another program.

It's obviously not going to fall off the face of the Earth.  A large chunk of people are still going to be using it for years to come.  But sticking with it is pretty foolish.

You didn't read the story did you?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You didn't read the story did you?

Businesses will have to either pay up to get support, pay up to upgrade, or do nothing and deal with the risks of running a more vulnerable operating system.  I mean there's no easy option.

Sure, some mission-critical applications are restricted to the one operating system.  The developers of those applications likely didn't think long-term and either created shoddy programs or didn't have the resources to support these applications for extended periods of time, and now the consequences will quickly present themselves.

Like I said; a large chunk of people will still be using XP for some time.  I never implied that it's going away.  But it's dead in the sense that continuing to use it will soon become a hazard and/or a waste of money.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Most people underestimate the amount of time, money, and bureaucracy that businesses need to change even just a small part of their infrastructures, especially if they are public.

Heck, most businesses are still using software written in COBOL just because it would be a mess to change to something more common.

I'd say most businesses will still be running XP at least for another year after support ends, even longer if their infrastructure is not connected to the outside (low risk of infection) or if they depend on it to run some software.

Noooooooo. I want xp to live forever :P. But in reality, it's days are numbered now. As for vista, I never seen a business, network or anything that looks slightly professional running it. As for its replacement, I guess 7/8... But if you want my personal opinion: Linux FTW! :P

OnePlus 6T

XP is dead in the sense that there's no good reason to still be running it.

If you have a stable system on old hardware then I don't see a good reason for upgrading. However, the next step in this case is likely to be new hardware + OS.

Referring to the poll, I imagine the only reason why gaming might be dead on XP is that it's likely to be on old hardware and games generally need new/fast hardware?

XP isn't dead, but the hardware its on is close to it. 7+ year old PCs and cheap donation PCs to libraries and businesses are what I see XP on these days.

it was the beast when i had my old pc but now when i bought a new pc it is sure dead for me ... + i was bored of it's looks 

but most people still use it and would continue using it until it does what its supposed to do

hell my friend still uses windows 98 well it does the job for him though so it all comes to one point u still wanna use it or not also does it does the job for u or not 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Definitely! XP is one of the most well known, widespread and stable operating systems ever made. I remember downgrading any computer my family bought to XP during the Vista era. It really was unbeatable until Win7 came out.

Whats wrong with Vista?

Whats wrong with Vista?

Too bloated for the hardware people were using at the time.