How do SSDs speed up one's PC?

CandleJakk

Hi all, for an SSD to speed up my PC would I have to install the OS on it or something?

Is it only the files on the SSD which open or which run faster?

How does it speed up the system?

What files should you install on your SSD?

thanks all

Installing your OS on the SSD is ideal as your overall windows experience will be much faster. Otherwise large programs like games are the best to install, as items like small files and even larger files don't usually belong on the SSD since they can be opened infrequently from a traditional hard drive. Only files on the SSD will open faster.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

An SSD is faster than an HDD (hard disk drive) because an SSD has no moving parts, the storing and retrieving of data is completely electronic.

It's a good idea to install your OS + favorite programs to speed up your computer's startup time, shutdown time, and general program loading times.

Files and programs NOT on the SSD will not be faster to access just because you have an SSD in the computer.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, AHaskin14 said:

Installing your OS on the SSD is ideal as your overall windows experience will be much faster. Otherwise large programs like games are the best to install, as items like small files and even larger files don't usually belong on the SSD since they can be opened infrequently from a traditional hard drive. Only files on the SSD will open faster.

If I have an HDD (which I do) and it has Windows on it, how can I transfer Windows on to the SSD (which I do not have yet) without data loss (if that is a possible occurence)?

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

An SSD is faster than an HDD (hard disk drive) because an SSD has no moving parts, the storing and retrieving of data is completely electronic.

It's a good idea to install your OS + favorite programs to speed up your computer's startup time, shutdown time, and general program loading times.

Files and programs NOT on the SSD will not be faster to access just because you have an SSD in the computer.

I see, thanks a lot! :) 

1 minute ago, CandleJakk said:

If I have an HDD (which I do) and it has Windows on it, how can I transfer Windows on to the SSD (which I do not have yet) without data loss (if that is a possible occurence)?

If you buy a Samsung SSD, which I reccomend, their included software is very simply to use and will do this process for you. I've never owned another brand SSD so I'm not sure what they include.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX

Yes, the operating system should be installed on your SSD. It will not speed up your other harddrives or software that is not insalled on the SSD. Things like movies, games should be on your HDD. Install the software on your SSD that takes long time to open or the one you mostly will use like a web browser, Microsoft World etc...

3 minutes ago, CandleJakk said:

I recently purchased a Sandisk ssd. It appeared to have some software come with it, that could possibly facilitate this. However, I did not test it. Also, this and this video may help.

1 minute ago, AHaskin14 said:

If you buy a Samsung SSD, which I reccomend, their included software is very simply to use and will do this process for you. I've never owned another brand SSD so I'm not sure what they include.

I see that they are significantly more expensive £/GB, but I assume that is for a good reason? Would you say ADATA is a good brand?

3 minutes ago, CandleJakk said:

I see that they are significantly more expensive £/GB, but I assume that is for a good reason? Would you say ADATA is a good brand?

I made one mistake in my life and it was buying Toshiba q300 SSD it runs slower than my HDD. Go for Samsung Evo they are really a trust and good company.

I have 2 840 evo's, one for my laptop and desktop, that are both 3 years old a piece and still working great to this day. Adata should be a good brand.

14 minutes ago, MentalBlank said:

I made one mistake in my life and it was buying Toshiba q300 SSD it runs slower than my HDD. Go for Samsung Evo they are really a trust and good company.

Oh ok thanks man, I think I'll save up for a Samsung Evo when I have the chance :) 

15 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

I have 2 840 evo's, one for my laptop and desktop, that are both 3 years old a piece and still working great to this day. Adata should be a good brand.

Ok, thanks for the info! :) 

32 minutes ago, CandleJakk said:

I was considering either this ssd or one of samsungs. I compared them on one of my best known sites (which is either Dutch or Belgium listed online stores) and came up with these results: http://prntscr.com/b7ijro 

(Yes I used a dutch site, and yes I did fiddle around with the sites coding to manually change it from dutch to english, original link: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/compare/417797;340877;422397/)

I do not know anything about adata. However, on the site I used, they are not that well documented, so I can't give you any information there either.

2 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

I was considering either this ssd or one of samsungs. I compared them on one of my best known sites (which is either Dutch or Belgium listed online stores) and came up with these results:

http://prntscr.com/b7ijro (Yes I used a dutch site, and yes I did fiddle around with the sites coding to manually change it from dutch to english, original link: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/compare/417797;340877;422397/)

thanks for taking so much effort, very useful! :) seems like performance is fairly equal between them

seems like performance is fairly equal between them

I don't know whether their performance is equal besides the paper statistics. I do know that switching from my 7 year old HDD to this SSD has saved me a lot of waiting for windows and loading in games already. (And I've only had it for a week :o)

1 minute ago, y_unit265 said:

I don't know whether their performance is equal besides the paper statistics. I do know that switching from my 7 year old HDD to this SSD has saved me a lot of waiting for windows and loading in games already. (And I've only had it for a week :o)

wowcher, nice one man!