Keep GPU for Rendering Architecture?

So I'm planning on upgrading to a gtx1080. At the moment, I have a gtx680 and I was wondering if it worth to keep it to render pictures (architecture; mainly maxwell)? Is it possible to use both cards on the same job or one for gaming while the other renders away?

13 minutes ago, Ciderino said:

it depends on the program. when your mining cryptocurrency for example you can give the job to a specific card. but if the program is cuda instead of opencl or something different i dont think you can do that.

just try to find an option to select a specific graphics accelerator. if its not there you cant do it. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Using something like vrayRT?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Using something like vrayRT?

I'm using Maxwell Render. Did a quick google search and it seems to be similar yes.

15 minutes ago, Shreymann said:

well mainly with maxwell render the big problem is its affects on your computer's and your router's node cores. I recommend not buying an nvidia card, Intel iris graphics are best for rendering since they keep the least load on your proxy node cores. If not you could open up your ports and all kinds of hackers could steal your information (credit cards, bank accounts etc)

You're welcome

I'm not really contemplating on what GPU I'll buy but rather if I should keep the old one to assist in rendering or render while I'm doing other "tasks" like gaming or similar. Out of curiosity, do you have a source explaining the problem you mentioned in more depth?