Bulged Capacitors and Random Backplate

OMGitsGhost

1. I just bought a Asus P5b Deluxe motherboard and has 3 bulged capacitors. Should I have them replaced or leave them be. The motherboard does work. 

2. The Board has a backplate glued on and doesn't allow my Arctic Pro 7 to fit in the mounting holes. What water cooler does it belong to? Can I just use any water cooler with this plate. 

IMG_5911.JPG

IMG_5910.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG

IMG_5906.JPG

well.. i have a mobo that literally doesnt have a single cap left intact.. and its rock solid.

i wouldnt dare leaving it run without being around tho :/

you will be able to get the back plate off with a flat head screw driver 

If it works, you can leave the caps. Bulging isn't as much an issue as leaking is. You can prolong their life by keeping them cool the best you can. But you should know, capacitors are very cheap and easy to replace. Do it yourself if you're going to.

The backplate looks to have countersinks and no threads, hinting you'd put a screw in from behind. Not very many water coolers have it that way. If it holds, why not keep it, but I'm betting it won't. A heatgun or even a hairdryer will loosen the double-sided tape.

Just now, joe_p231 said:

you will be able to get the back plate off with a flat head screw driver 

I don't want to damage the board. 

Just now, OMGitsGhost said:

I don't want to damage the board. 

just push it through the holes and catch the metal it wont damage anything

1 hour ago, OMGitsGhost said:

1. I just bought a Asus P5b Deluxe motherboard and has 3 bulged capacitors. Should I have them replaced or leave them be. The motherboard does work. 

2. The Board has a backplate glued on and doesn't allow my Arctic Pro 7 to fit in the mounting holes. What water cooler does it belong to? Can I just use any water cooler with this plate. 

-snippy snippets-

I personally would definitely get that replaced. It's very exciting to get new hardware and stuff, but the feeling when it breaks is about 10^10000 times more annoying than RMAing it (trust me, just did that math :P

So yes I would get that replaced.

Just now, BuntzenB said:

I personally would definitely get that replaced. It's very exciting to get new hardware and stuff, but the feeling when it breaks is about 10^10000 times more annoying than RMAing it (trust me, just did that math :P

So yes I would get that replaced.

Where would I shop for a good Capacitor?

3 hours ago, OMGitsGhost said:

Where would I shop for a good Capacitor?

lol i meant to get the board replaced by the manufacturer. Unless it is a second hand purchase in which case I would contact the person to get a discount or a replacement/refund. Attempting to fix a motherboard definitely isn't high up there on my list of things to do (even though I do fix electronics) they just are very sensitive and complicated. If you are completely out of options then I would wait until the computer starts getting wonky and replace them with a reputable brand, if that's your thing. The following brands come to mind as reliable: United/Nippon Chemi-con,  Nichicon, Samxon, Rubycon, and Panasonic.

Just now, BuntzenB said:

lol i meant to get the board replaced by the manufacturer. Unless it is a second hand purchase in which case I would contact the person to get a discount or a replacement/refund. Attempting to fix a motherboard definitely isn't high up there on my list of things to do (even though I do fix electronics) they just are very sensitive and complicated. If you are completely out of options then I would wait until the computer starts getting wonky and replace them with a reputable brand, if that's your thing. The following brands come to mind as reliable: United/Nippon Chemi-con,  Nichicon, Samxon, Rubycon, and Panasonic.

Yeah I found some capacitors from Chemi-con and they are cheap. Also the guy who sold me the board wanted me to pay him more but I told him no because of the backplate and capacitors. I'll keep mouser in mind its a good site for capacitors. For now I will try to remove the backplate.  

1 minute ago, OMGitsGhost said:

Yeah I found some capacitors from Chemi-con and they are cheap. Also the guy who sold me the board wanted me to pay him more but I told him no because of the backplate and capacitors. I'll keep mouser in mind its a good site for capacitors. For now I will try to remove the backplate.  

Oh that makes a lot more sense. If you do end up attempting a fix, these links might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XS0olm2ww http://capacitorlab.com/replacing-motherboard-capacitors-howto/ http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001547.htm

Just now, BuntzenB said:

Oh that makes a lot more sense. If you do end up attempting a fix, these links might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XS0olm2ww http://capacitorlab.com/replacing-motherboard-capacitors-howto/ http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001547.htm

I saw that video earlier today. Really great. I know someone I that will let me borrow their equipment. It is only about $2.75 for the 4 capacitors. Found an extra one by the cpu. I would change that one so my overclock doesn't make it pop. After thinking it, I think the backplate would work with any water cooler so I'll just buy one.