Need some CPU cooling advice!

Indus Monk

Let's say i got a z97 board and i wanna OC my 4690k to about 4.0-4.3ghz;

Would air cooling be suffice? If so, can a hyper 212x or darkRock pro3 handle cooling?

if not then:

Would be a single Radiator AIO be suffice? If so, can a nepton 240m or the h80iGT handle cooling?

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

The H80i GT is terrible performance for money, as is with all 120mm AIOs. More points of failure as well.

Air cooling would be fine. Although the Hyper 212X and Dark Rock Pro 3 are two different tiers - the latter being much higher.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

The H80i GT is terrible performance for money, as is with all 120mm AIOs.

so when do these 120 mm AIO's come handy? why did they even make them in the first place?

4 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

so when do these 120 mm AIO's come handy? why did they even make them in the first place?

When you can't install an air cooler due to height issues

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The H80i GT is terrible performance for money, as is with all 120mm AIOs. More points of failure as well.

Air cooling would be fine. Although the Hyper 212X and Dark Rock Pro 3 are two different tiers - the latter being much higher.

Not necessarily bad, I got better temperatures with my 120mm AIO compared to my 212.

13 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Only situation I can think of is that if you had an extremely compact ITX case (like the 

Silverstone Sugo SG13B) that can only fit 120mm AIOs and low-profile air coolers. Even then, I'd probably opt for air cooling. Some people also prefer liquid cooling for 'that look' but that's personal taste.

8 minutes ago, ybriK said:

Not necessarily bad, I got better temperatures with my 120mm AIO compared to my 212.

I know, I just said it's terrible performance for money. Why spend $50 on a 120mm AIO when I can have a Cryorig H5 Ultimate or Thermalright True Spirit 140 that cools much better?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 hour ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

budget? 

I don't think you can go wrong with this

http://www.ekwb.com/predator/

but EK - lower the cost of this stuff, ridiculous money

i forgot to mention that i am in India! there are no custom watercooled PC's. EKWB's stuff would have to be imported. I would have to sell 69+420 kidneys to even import just one mount! I am limited to just the 212x (dark rock pro 3 is not sold here), the h80i GT or the nepton 240m. Oh... and budget would be about $65. This was just to get guidance for a potential future upgrade!

4 hours ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

budget? 

I don't think you can go wrong with this

http://www.ekwb.com/predator/

but EK - lower the cost of this stuff, ridiculous money

This is overkill. 

A 212x is already more than enough for a 4.4ghz+ oc. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

49 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

I was doing mroe than 4.4 On Stock cooling, very toasty though.

Key Word: STOCK COOLING

9 hours ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Watercooling a GPU, Mini ITX cases where there isn't room for a bigger rad or a decent air cooler, first-time builders who haven't done their research and assume that the $70 AIO must be at least twice as good as the $30 212 EVO next to it.

To answer your original question, any entry to mid-range air cooler from a decent brand would suffice for what you want to do. My personal favorites at the $30-40 price point are the beQuiet Pure Rock and Cryorig H7. The Deepcool Gammaxx 400 is getting great reviews for its performance at a $30 price point. The Hyper 212 family is out there, but really, it's bigger, louder and doesn't perform any better than smaller, quieter coolers. If you can get your hands on an H7 or a Pure Rock, that'd be my recommendation.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.