Silent case that isn't plain

Go to solution Solved by EarthboundHero,

Hey everyone.

If you've seen some of my other posts, you'll know that I'm trying to achieve build silence on a budget(ish).

I'm currently rocking the Corsair 500r, which does nothing to help my cause, so I'm looking for a silent (or at least very quiet) case.

The Fractal Design R5 looks super nice, but I was wondering if there were any other options that weren't so plain. My tower is the first thing you notice when you enter my room, so I'd like for it to look cool.

I know it's petty, but #pcmasterrace.

I'd also like to keep it $50-$100. Somewhere in the middle would be nice. (I know the R5 is slightly over, which is another reason I'm looking for options).

Additionally, I have a full ATX motherboard, but if there's a case that is quiet AND not enormous, that'd be great. :)

Thanks!

Desktop Build:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | MSI b350m Mortar Arctic | 16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury | Fractal Design Define Mini C TG | 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus

Home Server Build:

Intel Core i3-6100 | ASRock Pro 4s | 16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury | Corsair 500r

"Just because you're garbage doesn't mean you can't do great things. It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot."
-Oscar the Grouch

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

11 minutes ago, Iraxis said:

You'd want the Define S, not R5, the S is well for silence. Or coolermaster makes a larger Silencio Case, but I don't remember it being too great.

also gotta forget about asthetics man.

Pretty much all the real silence optimized cases are going to be fairly plain because they want to keep the cost down from adding in the foam and what not.

If you just want like the best of the best, and want to customize heavily, save up for case labs, and do a silent mod on one, they're pretty expansive, so there's room for it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

That actually looks really nice! I'll do some research on that one.

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

also gotta forget about asthetics man.

Never.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem I find with noise is that the source of noise is mostly from fans that blow air out of the case more or less directly, rather than airflow within the case. My video card for instance, often beats out everything else, because it blows air out.

Do you have a blower style card? Mine blows air into the case, towards the psu. Honestly, most of my noise comes from the CPU cooler and the PSU.

Desktop Build:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | MSI b350m Mortar Arctic | 16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury | Fractal Design Define Mini C TG | 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus

Home Server Build:

Intel Core i3-6100 | ASRock Pro 4s | 16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury | Corsair 500r

"Just because you're garbage doesn't mean you can't do great things. It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot."
-Oscar the Grouch

1 minute ago, Iraxis said:

Never.

Edited it.

but if like that's your thing, why not go case labs, and do a custom water loop, as that will be fairly silent, and make it look nice I guess.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Iraxis said:

That actually looks really nice! I'll do some research on that one.

Never.

Do you have a blower style card? Mine blows air into the case, towards the psu. Honestly, most of my noise comes from the CPU cooler and the PSU.

I think HardwareCunnucks has a good review on it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

13 hours ago, Aytex said:

h440?

be quiet silent base 800

Both if those cases actually aren't very silent because they restrict airflow too much and cause fans to run faster (and thus louder). 

At OP: I'm running a Define S and there isn't anyone I've invited over that doesn't immediately notice and admire my build (although the custom watercooling and glass panel probably help with that). 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Both if those cases actually aren't very silent because they restrict airflow too much and cause fans to run faster (and thus louder). 

At OP: I'm running a Define S and there isn't anyone I've invited over that doesn't immediately notice and admire my build (although the custom watercooling and glass panel probably help with that). 

not really, i cant hear my h440 that much

34 minutes ago, Aytex said:

not really, i cant hear my h440 that much

OBJECTIVELY SPEAKING, is has been PROVEN, both the new and old generation of H440 and both the Silent base 800 and 600 have sufficient airflow issues that they are louder than many other silent oriented cases (and some not silent oriented).

a1fecc6a-36ec-4319-aa15-9d533a05d44a.png

Note this is stock configuration which for the Define S is only two fans just like the h440.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS