RECORDING SOFTWARE QUESTION

Go to solution Solved by DatDrunkenPanda,

for least impact use nvenc encoder in obs, for 1080p 60fps you'll want to use around 15000 kbps for best local quality, play around with the settings, downscaling basically takes your native resolution and scales it too your recording quality for your purposes set this too 1080p and for best quality use bi cubic filter.

settings are similar in shadowplay aswell use best quality and 15000 kbps for good results

hope this helps.

p.s. hardware encoders are less efficient than cpu encoding via x264 but also affect pc performance less but require higher bitrates to achieve the same quality

NOTE IN CASE THIS MAKES A DIFFERENCE: im on 150 download speed, but when i test on speedtest.net it almost get to 200 download as a result. And im on 13 upload. GPU EVGA 970 FTW, CPU 8350, RAM 16 GB, AND A GAMING MONITOR.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

What is the super best setting to record gameplays at 1080p with 60fps in OBS? 

What is resolutuon downscaling in OBS, is this when you watch a video on youtube and you are able to play it in 1080p or 720p?

And what should my bitrate be if i wanna record at 1080p? And if there a way to determine what bitrate i really suits me the best?

The same questions go to shadowplay since im willing to test recording gameplay with both software, to figure out with one i like the most.

Thank you

Can't you use ShadowPlay? It's much less resource intensive and very easy to set-up

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Are you just recording or are you going to be streaming as well? Resolution downscaling is pretty much what you described, however it will take your 1080 display and downscale it to, usually 720, for easier streaming. Or say you were gaming at 4K or 1440, you could downscale it to 1080 or 720.

Your ideal bitrate will depend on your storage, need/preference for quality/detail and performance of your CPU/GPU (depends on what is doing the encoding). I would stick around 8-10mbps. You can definitely go higher, but it will be more demanding of your hardware and take up more hard drive space. I find for game recording, a high bitrate doesn't matter too much as there is, generally, enough action in the scenes that it's really hard to notice. I prefer OBS or even Xsplit over shadow play; I'm not sure why, but I just don't really like shadow play.

for least impact use nvenc encoder in obs, for 1080p 60fps you'll want to use around 15000 kbps for best local quality, play around with the settings, downscaling basically takes your native resolution and scales it too your recording quality for your purposes set this too 1080p and for best quality use bi cubic filter.

settings are similar in shadowplay aswell use best quality and 15000 kbps for good results

hope this helps.

p.s. hardware encoders are less efficient than cpu encoding via x264 but also affect pc performance less but require higher bitrates to achieve the same quality

Edited by DatDrunkenPanda
wrote wrong filter fixed