Laptop screen fed up or somethign else?

CWzTjjX.jpg?1

Picture is a bit bad, but you get the idea, this is the screen on a Lenovo Y500. The effects you can see clearly here are still present when it boots to windows where it does show a full screen, but these effects are still present in the background.

This model has the SLI GT650, the original MB was fried due the use of an incorrect charger. I brought the Laptop, a refurbished MB and new charger. Installed the new MB (first time for anything I guess) and now I am greeted with this. I opened it up again, I cannot see any visible damage on the cable, but that is not saying much of course. I tested it on an external screen through HDMI and that gives me an OK result, so I fear the screen might have had it. So I am hoping faintly that it might be something else because a screen replacement will push the budget on this little project :(

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

GPUs are dead I believe

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

GPUs are dead I believe

Nope, as I said connect it to an external screen and it is all fine and dandy :)

1 minute ago, Carde said:

Nope, as I said connect it to an external screen and it is all fine and dandy :)

The ribbon cable? Might be that

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

27 minutes ago, Carde said:

Most likely to be the ribbon cable for the screen....rip :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

16 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Most likely to be the ribbon cable for the screen....rip :/ 

That be cheaper to fix than the screen itself :)

That said just saw it didn't spin the fans, uch I am starting to regret buying this thing, but it is a good learning experience :)

I would try checking the seating of the ribbon cable first if you haven't already, then if it's still broken try a new cable.

7 hours ago, Carde said:

That said just saw it didn't spin the fans, uch I am starting to regret buying this thing, but it is a good learning experience :)

Buying used is always a gamble

10 hours ago, Carde said:

Well it may be something really simple or something really difficult...since you can hook up an external monitor, you really should test everything except the screen properly works before moving on :/ 

9 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well it may be something really simple or something really difficult...since you can hook up an external monitor, you really should test everything except the screen properly works before moving on :/ 

Felt at least 1 of the fans going, but the keyboard I guess is cable not fitting properly. However it is german unit so really would not mind replacing that with a qwerty board. For now external keybaord works.

Seeing the original owner no longer knew his PW and I cannot be bothered to fight windows 8 atm, I dropped in an old windows 7 drive I had from an BTO unit. So once I get the drivers going I will see if the fans are still not wanting to work.

Once that is done and all is fine I will see what sourcing a screen cable and/or screen would cost me. Heck if the screen proves to be fine after all they tend to still be sell able as parts anyway if I end up with 2.

Anyhow tomorrow be the day I will work on it again :) At least I know the GPUs and CPU work so that is the most expensive parts covered :)

2 minutes ago, Carde said:

Felt at least 1 of the fans going, but the keyboard I guess is cable not fitting properly. However it is german unit so really would not mind replacing that with a qwerty board. For now external keybaord works.

Seeing the original owner no longer knew his PW and I cannot be bothered to fight windows 8 atm, I dropped in an old windows 7 drive I had from an BTO unit. So once I get the drivers going I will see if the fans are still not wanting to work.

Once that is done and all is fine I will see what sourcing a screen cable and/or screen would cost me. Heck if the screen proves to be fine after all they tend to still be sell able as parts anyway if I end up with 2.

Anyhow tomorrow be the day I will work on it again :) At least I know the GPUs and CPU work so that is the most expensive parts covered :)

Indeed (wait, it has changable GPU and CPUs?? Dayum son :D )

20 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Indeed (wait, it has changable GPU and CPUs?? Dayum son :D )

CPU is socket so can be changed, GPU 1 is soldered onto the MB, GPU 2 sits in what they call their ultra bay so it is an entirely separate unit. Upgrading to one of those instead of a DVD player or HD does mean you also need to upgrade your PSU to a 170W unit :)

Anyhow bit of a headache so nothing done yet.

39 minutes ago, Carde said:

CPU is socket so can be changed, GPU 1 is soldered onto the MB, GPU 2 sits in what they call their ultra bay so it is an entirely separate unit. Upgrading to one of those instead of a DVD player or HD does mean you also need to upgrade your PSU to a 170W unit :)

Anyhow bit of a headache so nothing done yet.

Fair enough, I though the GPUs were going to be soldered on :P Oh well, what can yer do but since you're sure both of em are functioning properly then it should be fine :)