PC not recognizing my gpu's - troubleshooting

Go to solution Solved by Nizzel,

@DioOmicida @Dr_Nooberious @STRMfrmXMN

Thougth you might be curious what ended up happening. i used DDU which mid-way through it got an error. it couldnt find some windows file apparently. anyways after that all went to hell and i could only be on my pc when no services was on or in safe mode. with no services gpu-z etc did not work but in safe mode it did work. with that knowledge i thought to myself. great its not my motherboard thats dying. so i went ahead and installed W10 from a usb-stick. this solved multiple issues that i had. first being the whole issue i have been talking about here but also fixed my 840 pro speeds. before it would have the correct read speed but its write was only about half what was advertised and IOPS were only at 30k. now at 70k. other random problems i have had have been solved as well. i think something was terribly wrong with my OS. thanks for helping.  

So i was getting fed up with my 980ti always getting so extremly hot. it would easily hit 90C in games after not too long and i thought i would change the thermal paste to see if that was the problem. what i saw was the worst ever job in applying the thermal paste. 1/3 of the die was not covered and it was just a mess everywhere else. i change it and am able to play again at now 72C instead of 90. a massive 18C drop which was very suprising. everything is going well and im playing DOOM and i thought i would try and see if i could overclock a bit higher cause of the lower temperatures. i managed to be able to play at 1565mhz core clock for a while but then it crashed. no big deal right? thats what i thought anyways... i can still play games and everything but its like my pc doesnt even know my gpu's are there. GPU-z can see its a 980ti but is missing alot of information, nvidia inspectors sees nothing, msi afterburner says 0 in everything and so on. this is the same case with the 560 that i have in my system (i use it to have more monitors connected) so i would say i can conclude from that fact that its not cause of the change in thermal paste that this is happening but that somehow my overclock managed to completely corrupt something. 

Specs:

980ti

i7 2600k 

MSI P67A-GD65

CM silent Pro M 850W

Things i have tried:

reinstalling graphics driver

reinstalling gpu-z/afterburner

restarting my pc

I have been thinking of resetting Cmos but i cant see why that would do anything. i have attached pictures to show what i mean with my pc not being able to fully recognize my gpu's

help.PNGhelp2.PNGhelp3.PNGhelp4.PNGhelp6.PNGhelp7.PNG

1 minute ago, SPAS-ID said:

Have you install Nvidia Latest GPU ?

No its a 980ti as i clearly stated in my post. nothing has changed about my system physically anyways

2 minutes ago, Nizzel said:

No its a 980ti as i clearly stated in my post. nothing has changed about my system physically anyways

wat, try using Nvidia latest Driver it might solve the problem

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

1 minute ago, SPAS-ID said:

wat, try using Nvidia latest Driver it might solve the problem

did you read my post? i said i tried reinstalling graphics driver. it is the latest.. besides even an old driver should work but yes i have tried this already...

3 minutes ago, Nizzel said:

did you read my post?

He probably didn't. Did you use a DDU first prior to trying to install drivers again?
Can you try the card in a different PCIe lane?

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

2 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

He probably didn't. Did you use a DDU first prior to trying to install drivers again?
Can you try the card in a different PCIe lane?

i have not tried to use DDU yet as when i used it last time i for some reason had to reinstall windows (ik that sounds strange but ye something went terrible wrong at that time)

the gtx 560 is in a different PCIe lane and is showing the same thing so i doubt doing that would do anything?

Sounds like you somehow screwed up your motherboard. If nothing short of a Windows reinstall will solve it then deactivate your current Windows key for your next motherboard and move on.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, Nizzel said:

the gtx 560 is in a different PCIe lane and is showing the same thing so i doubt doing that would do anything?

I'm sorry, I read that is in it use to have one. 

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Sounds like you somehow screwed up your motherboard. If nothing short of a Windows reinstall will solve it then deactivate your current Windows key for your next motherboard and move on.

That would have been my next comment. Software can screw up but across multiple? That's not coincidence. 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

If your GPU comes with a second BIOS switch, try it.

How about updating or downgrading the GPU BIOS? Yes I know this can be dangerous.

1 minute ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

If your GPU comes with a second BIOS switch, try it.

it does not. but i doubt that would do anything as its affecting my 560 as well

3 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

I'm sorry, I read that is in it use to have one. 

That would have been my next comment. Software can screw up but across multiple? That's not coincidence. 

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It sure is very strange.. well i can still play games i just cant really overclock or see how hot my gpu is and so on. i did BIOS mod my 980ti so its clocks are atleast quite high on "stock" it does make sense that my motherboard is somehow screwed up as its happening on both cards. i might try DDU and if that doesnt work then well i was going to upgrade my cpu soon anyways but i wasnt quite ready for it. i can probably manage without being able to overclock but other strange things have happend as well. like when i first started my pc up, two of my monitors (the ones connected to my 980ti) went black and then normal again. but again its playing games just fine.. im so confused

2 minutes ago, Wed15septoid2 said:

What size PSU do you have?

33 minutes ago, Nizzel said:

CM silent Pro M 850W

1 minute ago, Nizzel said:

have you checked the PCIe lanes in the bios to see if they are even detected?

1 minute ago, Wed15septoid2 said:

have you checked the PCIe lanes in the bios to see if they are even detected?

i have not. where in the bios would you check this?

1 minute ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

How about updating or downgrading your GPU driver after using DDU?

i still havent used DDU but im planning on it. :)

2 minutes ago, Nizzel said:

i have not. where in the bios would you check this?

It would typically be under the advanced tab and something like PCIe management.

12 minutes ago, Nizzel said:

but other strange things have happend as well. like when i first started my pc up, two of my monitors (the ones connected to my 980ti) went black and then normal again. but again its playing games just fine.. im so confused

My PC when first assembled wouldn't shut down. After shutdown, a few minutes later it would power itself back on.
I adjusted every power and BIOS setting with no change. Luckily hibernate worked and what I wanted to do anyways.

@DioOmicida @Dr_Nooberious @STRMfrmXMN

Thougth you might be curious what ended up happening. i used DDU which mid-way through it got an error. it couldnt find some windows file apparently. anyways after that all went to hell and i could only be on my pc when no services was on or in safe mode. with no services gpu-z etc did not work but in safe mode it did work. with that knowledge i thought to myself. great its not my motherboard thats dying. so i went ahead and installed W10 from a usb-stick. this solved multiple issues that i had. first being the whole issue i have been talking about here but also fixed my 840 pro speeds. before it would have the correct read speed but its write was only about half what was advertised and IOPS were only at 30k. now at 70k. other random problems i have had have been solved as well. i think something was terribly wrong with my OS. thanks for helping.