How to test my wifi signal strength?

Luke

So i have a few wifi network cards and i want to test which one gets the best range to use for my downstairs HTPC. Is their a better way than just looking at the signal strength bars on the bottom right of windows? A percentage signal strength would be nice.

Help is much appreciate. Thanks!

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

So i have a few wifi network cards and i want to test which one gets the best range to use for my downstairs HTPC. Is their a better way than just looking at the signal strength bars on the bottom right of windows? A percentage signal strength would be nice.

You can just use speedtest on each one haha.

• OS: Windows 10/10 Pro  • SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Evo Series *  • HDD: Seagate 1TB  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X (SLI)
• CPU: i7-4790K OC 4.7GHz Quad-Core Processor • Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
• RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory • Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

2 minutes ago, aLemonNation said:

You can just use speedtest on each one haha.

They all report the same thing even though the signal strength is lower on some of them. I have a d-link USB wifi adapter once that showed the percentage signal strength in the program i'm hoping to find something like that but i'm not having much luck.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

There's a nifty Android app called Wi-Fi Analyzer. There might be something similar for iPhones.

However the thing is that signal strength is not indicative of quality. I've had numerous cases where I had great signal strength, but the network quality was terrible. All the Wi-Fi status things tell you is what it got from the beacon packets.

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

inSSIDer is a good one it shows all the signals including protential overlap of certain channels. 

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

inSSIDer is a good one it shows all the signals including protential overlap of certain channels. 

Thanks!!!