Review PG279Q

ACoffeeGuy

Looking at this and the Predator x34. The beauty of this one is the price but I've heard pretty mixed reviews. For some reason people don't seem happy with it. What're your thoughts?

Kill the Machine!

Typical Asus quality, either really good or really bad.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

If I get one and it ends up being bad is there a warranty on it to exchange for a new one?

Kill the Machine!

8 minutes ago, ACoffeeGuy said:

If I get one and it ends up being bad is there a warranty on it to exchange for a new one?

Depends, Asus is typically pretty good about approving RMAs. However, I've had to RMA my PB258Q three times and every single one had issues. I honestly gave because they are so slow with the RMA, I had to wait a month each time. It was ridiculous. If you have Amazon Prime, I would suggest ordering from them and just keep exchanging until you get a good one. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Asus swaps things but often with refurbs that have the same problems. I am pretty happy with my PG279Q, its not perfect but its the best gaming monitor I have ever seen.

If anything, it might be best to think of this as your second monitor that you use for gaming, rather than your workstation monitor. I'm going to take a gamble on the model, but it's not going to be my primary work one. Maybe some day, we'll find the unicorn monitor.

41 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If anything, it might be best to think of this as your second monitor that you use for gaming, rather than your workstation monitor. I'm going to take a gamble on the model, but it's not going to be my primary work one. Maybe some day, we'll find the unicorn monitor.

I don't think we are at the stage yet where there is a nicely priced VRR based monitor that has great screen qualities and is reliably built. The price of these screens is kind of high when you think about it and the variance in quality is just bad. I think we are likely to see a better convergence at 4k in a few years time where the mass of the market and companies will go with full intent and that will introduce the higher quality products into the market at reasonable prices. We are just in the middle of a storming of new technology and its going to settle on a new combined standard at some point in the near future. Buying in the middle of all that is just a bit of a mixed bag. Depends on your approach and budget in regards to computer kit and how long you hang onto it for.

Well my plan is to get a PG279Q as a gaming monitor and a secondary work monitor, since I have a Dell P2715Q already (it's a 4K IPS 60Hz monitor) and then when a proper 4K 144Hz monitor comes out I'll replace the PG279Q with that.

And hopefully from someone other than Acer or ASUS. ASUS I've had a mostly positive bag with, it works, but I feel like they cut corners in places. Dell has a 144Hz 1440P GSync monitor, but it's TN and well, I can't stand TN anymore. And it's $800. Otherwise I would've gone with them. And Dell scored a lot of points when I saw it for presentation, because I hate most "Gaming" branded stuff design wise.