Fractal Design Define R5 Power Supply Cover/Shroud

So, I decided to ditch my ghetto cardboard (painted black ;)) psu cover and make proper one.

First I pictured how it could look like, then I started to paint down some sketches and a day later found myself with work clothes, gloves and goggles.

Marked up and cut pieces out to form the thing I need, then I just bent it on a bench.

Constantly testing with my PC if everything lines up the way I need it and it did go quite smoothly.

The GPU cable hole was cut with a plasma cutter, filed it and went over with the paper.

Painted it matte black to match the R5 and it's like 1:1. The cover attaches to the rear slot.

Overall, I am really happy with it, turned out nearly perfect. :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

fancy, i may consider to implement this in my R5 :P

Man that looks fantastic!  Nice work. 

I'm using the build in my R5 right now as my main rig in caught in 980 Ti / 1080 limbo at the moment.  This seems like a good project to do while I wait, but it sounds like you had access to more equipment than most people do.

Yup, equipment.. that I do. But if you could find a local metal workshop somewhere, I'm sure they can think of something or even let you work on it.

Could you recommend how to do this with the bottom 3.5" drive bay still installed? I would really like to throw one of these in my R5, but I still need room for HDD's to store my. . . files . . . on.

Could I just like, velcro my 2 HDD's behind the motherboard tray or something?

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

Could you recommend how to do this with the bottom 3.5" drive bay still installed? I would really like to throw one of these in my R5, but I still need room for HDD's to store my. . . files . . . on.

i made a super-dodgy adapter to mount a single hard drive tray to the underside of the optical drive.

that said, i guess you could just make the shroud go around the cage, and have a seperate shroud for the hdd cage (note you should still have ventilation there, spinning rust gets hot)

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

Um, you could do just like I did, just leave more space to the HDD tray, I left some space for the watercooler but you would need more than that. As i've got SSD in the back and HDD under the cover. Or, make screw holes for the HDD on top of the cover.

3 hours ago, positivePXL said:

Did you remove the top 5.25" and middle 3.5" bays?

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

Did you remove the top 5.25" and middle 3.5" bays?

No; Yes

No; Yes

I believe you can just install the lower/smaller 3.5" bay in place of the middle larger 3.5" bay freeing the floor space.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I believe you can just install the lower/smaller 3.5" bay in place of the middle larger 3.5" bay freeing the floor space.

Already tried, can't do it. At least as far as the manual is concerned, the middle one can be mounted on the bottom, but the bottom one can't be mounted in the middle. Either that, or I was just too lazy to take the screws out of the bottom of the bottom 3.5" drive bay and didn't bother to try. Will double check when I get home. Who knows with me when it comes to these kinds of things sometimes.

Already tried, can't do it. At least as far as the manual is concerned, the middle one can be mounted on the bottom, but the bottom one can't be mounted in the middle. Either that, or I was just too lazy to take the screws out of the bottom of the bottom 3.5" drive bay and didn't bother to try. Will double check when I get home. Who knows with me when it comes to these kinds of things sometimes.

I'm almost certain it can.  I played around with a lot of configurations a while ago when I got the case and I was surprised by the flexibility.  Either way, it's an idea.  Good luck.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'm almost certain it can.  I played around with a lot of configurations a while ago when I got the case and I was surprised by the flexibility.  Either way, it's an idea.  Good luck.

/me spends the next 2 hours looking for the right screw driver.