PCI-E clearance

UnjoGratis

For my new build I was thinking of buying the Phanteks PH-TC14PE cpu cooler. The problem is the clearance on the first PCI-E slot. The motherboard I am going to buy is the Asus Z170-A

It would be fine since the board has multiple slots.  It might block the top one but you could still use one of the other slots.

If you do for a NH-D15 they're designed to not block the top slot if I remember correctly.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

1 minute ago, CJPowell27 said:

It would be fine since the board has multiple slots.  It might block the top one but you could still use one of the other slots.

If you do for a NH-D15 they're designed to not block the top slot if I remember correctly.

The Noctua cooler wouldn't fit well in my case since I have a window. Aren't the other PCI-E slots running at x8 instead of x16

1 minute ago, UnjoGratis said:

The Noctua cooler wouldn't fit well in my case since I have a window. Aren't the other PCI-E slots running at x8 instead of x16

If the top slot is occupied it then goes down to 8x on both slots. Though electrically the second slot is still 16x iirc.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, UnjoGratis said:

The difference would most likely be negligible but have you checked the cooler height to see if it would fir in your case? 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

If the top slot is occupied it then goes down to 8x on both slots. Though electrically the second slot is still 16x iirc.

Therefore there is no difference at all. Correct?

4 minutes ago, CJPowell27 said:

The difference would most likely be negligible but have you checked the cooler height to see if it would fir in your case? 

My case is the Fractal Design R5 which supports coolers up to 180mm. This Phanteks cooler is 171mm with the fans attached.

1 minute ago, UnjoGratis said:

My case is the Fractal Design R5 which supports coolers up to 180mm. This one is 171mm with the fans attached.

The noctua is 165 mm tall with fans 

Just now, CJPowell27 said:

The noctua is 165 mm tall with fans 

I was talking about the Phanteks cooler

I have that board and cooler, first pcie x1 slot probably isn't usable, first pcie 3.0 x16 slot has plenty of clearance. Takes a long thin tool to remove a card in that slot without removing the cooler

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

First slot is PCIex1 which would be blocked by GPU backplate anyway. You are fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv