is it worth building a custome pc

Guest riley mclinn

I want to make a gaming pc but is it worth it building your own. I have been researching how to build a computer for 2 years.

4 minutes ago, riley mclinn said:

I want to make a gaming pc but is it worth it building your own. I have been researching how to build a computer for 2 years.

Depends linus a whie back actually did a video I think it was something like 'How good is bestbuy' and tried to copy their PC by buying all the parts themselves instead and it turned out that the custom was actually more expensive.

Though usually custom should be better if you know good part combos, etc.

Also PC building is an experience building your own computer, fighting all the problems you come up with, benchmarking it, making it look stunning, spending potentially (for some people) hours to make their cable managment on point. Personally I would choose the custom even if it was more expensive.

Even if it is slightly more expensive, the experience of building a PC is amazing. Trust me, you won't regret it. Also you can customise your own parts and know how each part works with each other.

The fact that you have already been researching/learning how to build a PC for a couple years is a really good start. I was the same way. I had been teaching myself about computers for a number of years before I ever had the money to buy my first part.

There are a lot of factors that go into/questions that you should ask yourself when determining whether or not it's worth building your own custom PC.

Are you wanting something basic/entry level to mid-grade? Or are you wanting an upper mid-grade to high end PC? Fiscally... Entry to mid-grade: not really worth it, just buy a boutique PC. Upper mid-grade to high end: it can save you a good chunk of money, and you get to make sure that your PC is exactly the way you want it.

Other Factors:

Do you like building things/working with your hands? I do. 

Do you like the pride of knowing that you learned how to do something and did it on your own (or with a little help, cause everyone needs help sometimes). I do.

Are you really passionate about computers/technology and just like to sit and drool over pictures of parts? I do.

Do you see computers as an art form that can reflect the personality of the builder? I do. 

All of these points I'm bringing up are just to illustrate why I say I will never buy a pre-built boutique PC, even if it will cost me a little extra to build it myself. I get a value out of building a PC that no amount of money saved would be able to replace. So these are just some questions you should ask yourself as you consider your options, and - as always- if you need some help the LTT community will always be here to lend a hand. Never be afraid to ask questions and learn something new. And, as always....

May your framerates be high, and your temperatures low.

Go with Gaben's blessings, my child.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 hour ago, riley mclinn said:

I've been in a pretty similar boat... I've been wanting to build a PC since 2014. Though money has been a hard thing for me because at that time I was 14...

I think that if you can save up the money for it, it's absolutely worth it.

I mean what I've wanted to build has varied so much in the past few years... Though if you want you can look at my description the top spoiler that has "Ursa" and H440 above it is what I'm planning on building sometime this summer or early fall. 

A bit of an off topic rambling...

Actually "Ursa" is a new name for that build... Originally I was going to call it "Neige des Vents" which translated from French, it's meant to literally mean "Snowy Winds" or "Winds of Snow"... 

Similar story for the potential companion build "Indus" that might be a gift for my Grandma, I was going to call it "Cadeau" which is literally "Gift" in French... I've now named it after the Indus Constellation.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, Killervolt said:

Even if it is slightly more expensive, the experience of building a PC is amazing. Trust me, you won't regret it. Also you can customise your own parts and know how each part works with each other.

I think that's another benefit of building a PC is you can make a PC that'll looks really nice. Whereas a pre-build will kinda be basic and probably get the same job done, maybe not as well. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 hours ago, riley mclinn said:

I think it's worth it depending on your situation. If you have time it's better to build a custom PC because you will ultimately save money. But if you don't have any time you can find a prebuilt PC. Me personally I think the experience is pretty interesting and fun.