Steam Boxes announced!

OMG am I first again?

if so I will do my best to make this a nice post again :D

nope your not lol

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

+1 internets to you for actually writing some info yourself rather than copy pasting. That said it does seem like it's missing some parts such as Valve's Beta Eligibility Quest. I suspect you may have written the article before the actual release as it is stuff that could have been speculated before.

Back on topic, not really interested in using this with a TV,  not yet at least, but it could definitely cater for people which would otherwise choose a console and shy away from PCs because they don't understand hardware.

There is however no mention of nVidia which we were expecting, they could be behind some of the hardware configurations but for some price ranges an AMD solution is a no brainer so I doubt they're behind all of them.

No hardware specs were announced, that's disappointing...

Yep- disappointing.

But different hardware vendors will have their own specs. I think what Valve will do is set the minimum baseline to be gaming-grade.

Yeah, 4 people posted at the same time. Would have liked to see and actual article with some discussion rather than just a link for the sake of trying to post first.

I posted some information, meh

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Yeah, 4 people posted at the same time. Would have liked to see and actual article with some discussion rather than just a link for the sake of trying to post first.

3 at the same time.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

No hardware specs were announced, that's disappointing...

I think Valve kept it real and realized that announcing a Steambox would just be confirming what everyone knew, so there wouldn't be any point to it. So instead they chose to announce their beta-tester scheme :P

That aside, we can probably guess that it'll contain an AMD cpu and nVidia GPU when they come around to releasing their reference design. 

Yep- disappointing.

But different hardware vendors will have their own specs. I think what Valve will do is set the minimum baseline to be gaming-grade.

Was really hoping to see what sort of hardware Valve has put in there, maybe the specs include unannounced products... that would explain why the specs were not released.

Did you have the topic ready to go on the suspicion of it's announcement? Because that was within a minute

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Did you have the topic ready to go on the suspicion of it's announcement? Because that was within a minute

No, I just type at 9001 WPM :)

Well said, brother.

The last reveal is the 3rd reveal.

HL3 Confirmed.

There are currently 6022 eligible beta candidates. Finish the tasks above to join them.

are you one of them? I know I am looked around frantically for a controller

Yes it is :(

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59756-second-steam-announcement/ This is the first, but it is a terrible news post.

The second, https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59757-steam-boxes-announced/, is much better.

My mistake don't know how I missed them I'm sick of no effort being put into news posts just so people are first at least samdb did it right

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

There are like 10 other topics, all created almost the same time.

I would rather read Damikiller37's post because his news is usually actual official news with his own opinion and insight added in which is what the news section is supposed to be about in the first place.

Some other people in the news section like to talk about rumors and then make wild speculation about things. Any speculation in this specific thread is educated speculation based on some sort of evidence.

The guessing is not just, "OMG I HOPEZ THEY DO A STEAMBOX LOLZ!" This guessing is more like, "Based on the evidence, A will lead to B" and Damikiller37 seems to be good at getting you the actual story with evidence based guessing.

It is like with news journalism on those 24 hour news networks. Everyone wants to report first so they will give you half assed information and then say something like, "You heard it here first folks, Mitt Romney is the PResident of the United States." Just so they could be the ones to break the story.

Damikiller37 isn't the first one to give us the news, but his news has more QUALITY than the other posts on the same topic.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

We posted at the same time...

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I would rather read Damikiller37's post because his news is usually actual official news with his own opinion and insight added in which is what the news section is supposed to be about in the first place.

Some other people in the news section like to talk about rumors and then make wild speculation about things. Any speculation in this specific thread is educated speculation based on some sort of evidence.

The guessing is not just, "OMG I HOPEZ THEY DO A STEAMBOX LOLZ!" This guessing is more like, "Based on the evidence, A will lead to B" and Damikiller37 seems to be good at getting you the actual story with evidence based guessing.

It is like with news journalism on those 24 hour news networks. Everyone wants to report first so they will give you half assed information and then say something like, "You heard it here first folks, Mitt Romney is the PResident of the United States." Just so they could be the ones to break the story.

Damikiller37 isn't the first one to give us the news, but his news has more QUALITY than the other posts on the same topic.

Thank you :) I'm in process of writing my personal insights so I will update the post in a few minutes... and seriously guys if mods will decide that they want to delete my post I honestly don't mind I find it fun trying to be the first one though xD

Was really hoping to see what sort of hardware Valve has put in there, maybe the specs include unannounced products... that would explain why the specs were not released.

Yeah but I think it would be a mistake to mention the specs this far out. There are about 3 possibilities I can think of off the top of my head that can happen from mentioning the specs too early.

1) People will be put off by low specs and then Valve will have to raise the specs afterwards which will cause their accountants' heads to explode because they will have to keep the promise of the price of the machine.

2) They will announce good specs and then when it comes time to launch, they might not be able to follow through because of cost reasons

3) They announce specs now and in a year something better comes out

I think it would be a mistake if they committed right now to any sort of specs because a year can be a big deal in computer technology. And their stuff isn't going to be out until next Fall probably at the earliest.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I posted at the same time tho... Lets let the Mods take care of this

first technically yes there is another thread but its just got steam announces...

I updated it after reserving the spot. If you read it said I was at school and was going to add more to the post much like this post.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

I posted at the same time tho... Lets let the Mods take care of this

I updated it after reserving the spot. If you read it said I was at school and was going to add more to the post much like this post.

Doesn't matter because you weren't first regardless neither was the OP.

Not like it matters but...yeh

Doesn't matter because you weren't first regardless neither was the OP.

Not like it matters but...yeh

Who was first? The other person who posted at the same time? (1:00)

Who was first? The other person who posted at the same time? (1:00)

Technically I was first by about 5 seconds (no other thread was here when I posted, should of screenshotted it alone)

But the OP is more known for the first announcement anyway so w/e.

Anyway, glad they arn't doing there own hardware, this is going to be very interesting :D also 3k games :o

Funny how the OP has no original incite in this topic, atm, its all from the webpage, like everyone else.

I agree, I fucking hate it when people on this forum just link a damn article and call it a day. I take time to write things out in an orderly fashion when I do breaking news articles and always get beat to the punch by someone who just has a title and a link. Even though Linus and Slick said that those things aren't acceptable. GRR 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!