Is this worth the buy now?

dreamhacking

I can get this for $360 CAD, with 2 years warranty remaining. 

Just a EVGA GTX 980 reference model. Is it worth? 

Thank you

evga_gtx_980_ref.jpg

That's a question for you really. Do you want to stay on a bleeding edge or do you want a pretty good GPU for I would say decent price right now ? :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

That's a question for you really. Do you want to stay on a bleeding edge or do you want a pretty good GPU for I would say decent price right now ? :)

hmmm ... i just want a decent price for a decent GPU, this is the most basic model, not sure if it is crap or not lol

1 minute ago, dreamhacking said:

hmmm ... i just want a decent price for a decent GPU, this is the most basic model, not sure if it is crap or not lol

Well it's a reference cooler, it will run a little hotter than aftermarket one, but it's not bad. Benefit of reference cooler is that it dumps all of heat out the back of the case, but that doesn't mean it's bad, just don't expect crazy overclocking. :D

Or you can wait for GTX 1070 which will be around 379 for reference model and probably more for aftermarket partners.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

Wait like 2 weeks and you can get a TI for that price xD 

$360 CAD for a Ti? lol 

3 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

the 980 is still a decent card whether pascal is coming or not. If you don't mind that the card you are buying is "outdated" or last gen and you can live with the fact that the reference models are a bit louder and hotter, go for it. 360CAD sounds reasonable for the performance

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

$360 CAD for a Ti? lol 

Like 400 USD I saw a 980 TI sell for 320 USD yesterday on Craigslist, idk the cad conversion rate. 

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Like 400 USD I saw a 980 TI sell for 320 USD yesterday on Craigslist, idk the cad conversion rate. 

$320 USD is about $420 CAD. That's cheap for a Ti :)

If you want a good overclocker, you'll spend the difference in parts for watercooling, but yah, it's still a decent card, but again, the 1070 is coming out, and it will also still be better than the 980.

Did you really ? People are crazy. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

If you want a good overclocker, you'll spend the difference in parts for watercooling, but yah, it's still a decent card, but again, the 1070 is coming out, and it will also still be better than the 980.

GTX 1070 will probably cost around $550 brand new

I should rewatch s4 of scrapyard wars again, they could find enough times to remind us of it.

3 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

GTX 1070 will probably cost around $550 brand new

Should be lower than that. :)

gtx1070.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

6 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Did you really ? People are crazy. :D

I saw it and called the guy and he was like, I've gotten about 10 calls in the first 5 minutes of posting and that he had a person coming. I told him he better de

ete that post so you don't get people's hopes up xD 

Just now, Frankie said:

Should be lower than that. :)

gtx1070.jpg

after conversion and a slight markup from retailer. it is about $550 CAD. when the GTX 970 was brand new, it was listed at about $485 CAD

I saw it and called the guy and he was like, I've gotten about 10 calls in the first 5 minutes of posting and that he had a person coming. I told him he better de

ete that post so you don't get people's hopes up xD 

I don't get it. I mean I get that some people want to stay on the bleeding for e-peen but before the conference evebody was still salivating ove the 980Ti and now they're like meh. It's still a powerful card. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

after conversion and a slight markup from retailer. it is about $550 CAD. when the GTX 970 was brand new, it was listed at about $485 CAD

Oh yeah, that's true. Plus depends on the country I guess. We have 21% tax, which is fun... not.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

Oh yeah, that's true. Plus depends on the country I guess. We have 21% tax, which is fun... not.

holy ... damn that 21% 

I have 5% GST over here ... lucky me @@

For a used 980/Ti I would only pay up to 50% of the going retail, don't care if it's never been overclocked, gamed on lightly, x amount of warranty left over and was only driven to church on Sundays by an old lady. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

2 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

For a used 980/Ti I would only pay up to 50% of the going retail, don't care if it's never been overclocked, gamed on lightly, x amount of warranty left over and was only driven to church on Sundays by an old lady. 

yeah $360 CAD is about 50% off from the retail price now. 

holy ... damn that 21% 

I have 5% GST over here ... lucky me @@

Exactly, lucky you. :D Matter of perspective, I always get a giggle when US people cry that something is expensive and I'm sitting here like... yeah... I can buy card that's like one or two tiers down for the same price you're bitching about. :D 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler